PDA

View Full Version : Another piece of honest advice from a liberal source

tailfins
11-13-2012, 12:44 PM
This isn't just concerning if you're a Republican. One-party rule doesn't make for a healthy democracy

While conservative pundits like Peggy Noonan pleaded for the Romney campaign (http://blogs.wsj.com/peggynoonan/2012/09/18/time-for-an-intervention/) to hold a rally in Brooklyn, and Paul Ryan wanted to campaign in cities on an anti-poverty message of economic empowerment, Romney advisors nixed the idea (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/the-strategy-that-paved-a-winning-path/2012/11/07/0a1201c8-2769-11e2-b2a0-ae18d6159439_print.html), saying those issues didn't test well for them.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/110074/the-gop-can%E2%80%99t-afford-ignore-cities-anymore#

Thunderknuckles
11-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Republicans clearly have to craft their message to appeal to urban voters. Someone will have to figure that one out as I don't have any ideas at the moment. The author of the article clearly understand this problem when she states: "A party that believes government is the problem won't find support where people rely on government for everyday services."

fj1200
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
^True, this goes to educating those who are most harmed by a lack of opportunity in how removing obstacles to growth will result in a better life for them while not campaigning solely on how to remove those safety nets. It doesn't need to be an all or nothing thing.

aboutime
11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/110074/the-gop-can%E2%80%99t-afford-ignore-cities-anymore#

tailfins. To be honest with you. Having only ONE PARTY is what makes a real Democracy work so well. Namely. MOB RULE.

Only one side gets to decide everything, and the other side loses everything the Constitution was created to defend against, and for.

tailfins
11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
tailfins. To be honest with you. Having only ONE PARTY is what makes a real Democracy work so well. Namely. MOB RULE.

Only one side gets to decide everything, and the other side loses everything the Constitution was created to defend against, and for.

Don't confuse grade schoolers with post-graduate concepts. I understand we are a Constitutional Republic. In the interest of dumbed-down communication, let's make "representative government" be a synonym for democracy.

aboutime
11-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Don't confuse grade schoolers with post-graduate concepts. I understand we are a Constitutional Republic. In the interest of dumbed-down communication, let's make "representative government" be a synonym for democracy.

tailfins. Agreed. But, when speaking loosely of the LOOSE use of the word Democracy. We must keep in mind. The very low, even poor educational standings of a large portion of the American population that HONESTLY has no idea what the work Democracy really means.

That Representative Government has it's flaws, as we all know. Considering the number of faulty, uneducated members of Congress the people REWARD every 2, or 6 years by never fully exercising their TERM limit possibilities. So much so. It allows the Former Robert Byrd of West Virginia to remain in office so long...due to poor educations, and terminal Stupidity.

Kathianne
11-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Actually, I think it would be refreshing to have some education of our electorate. Assuming they know zilch and want to know zilch is a recipe for disaster.

gabosaurus
11-13-2012, 05:30 PM
TNR is totally correct. The GOP can no long avoid urban areas. The older white electorate no longer decides elections. Once the GOP begins to understand that, the better off they will be.

mundame
11-13-2012, 05:35 PM
White Christian America just got whomped, no question about it.

Actually, Christians didn't show up at all.

The Dems ran a Black Muslim and the Republicans ran a Mormon --

So much for Christianity, superfluous to requirements entirely, it seems.

Thunderknuckles
11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Actually, I think it would be refreshing to have some education of our electorate. Assuming they know zilch and want to know zilch is a recipe for disaster.
Hillsdale College offers free online courses on the Constitution that closely follows their core curriculum requirements for their undergrads. You can register online to view the lectures here: https://constitution.hillsdale.edu/

They have courses 101 and 201 each with several lectures. Each lecture is about 40 minutes long. I recently signed up myself.

Kathianne
11-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Hillsdale College offers free online courses on the Constitution that closely follows their core curriculum requirements for their undergrads. You can register online to view the lectures here: https://constitution.hillsdale.edu/

They have courses 101 and 201 each with several lectures. Each lecture is about 40 minutes long. I recently signed up myself.

I've heard them, then again I had similar in college. They are very good for those unsure of their Constitutional knowledge, I highly recommend.

However, that is not what I'm speaking about. No, more of what my own Congressman, Peter Roskam has done for years. In his newletters there's often a blurb about 'What America Means' or 'Civics Basics.' A blurb in a newsletter, that is about local concerns. Is your child interested in one of the military academies? Here's what to do. What do you think about the coming sequestration? What questions do you have? Fill out the form or email or call or write.

The 'education' is probably less than 1/10th of the newsletter. The newsletter though is discussing issues that are both local and federal. He's got his finger on the pulse on his constituents. He won by over 68%, most of his district voted for Obama by a slim margin.

aboutime
11-13-2012, 10:26 PM
White Christian America just got whomped, no question about it.

Actually, Christians didn't show up at all.

The Dems ran a Black Muslim and the Republicans ran a Mormon --

So much for Christianity, superfluous to requirements entirely, it seems.

mundame. Wrong you are. I am a Christian, and not afraid to admit I voted for Romney, and Ryan.

His being a Mormon had nothing to do with my choice, either way.

I am not a hypocrite who says one thing to some...to remain friendly, and says something else to others...for the same reason.

That is why Obama won. Too many Americans who knew what they wanted. Were, and still are FEARFUL of being labeled as Racists. So they either DIDN'T VOTE, or they made others they LIE TO feel good.

tailfins
11-13-2012, 10:53 PM
mundame. Wrong you are. I am a Christian, and not afraid to admit I voted for Romney, and Ryan.

His being a Mormon had nothing to do with my choice, either way.

I am not a hypocrite who says one thing to some...to remain friendly, and says something else to others...for the same reason.

That is why Obama won. Too many Americans who knew what they wanted. Were, and still are FEARFUL of being labeled as Racists. So they either DIDN'T VOTE, or they made others they LIE TO feel good.

When I was scorched by the Obama downturn, I first moved to Tennessee thinking people in buckle of the Bible belt would help with homeless avoidance counseling, job contacts, maybe a food pantry. They failed me miserably. I have never met stingier, nastier people in my life. I would take the Bronx over Tennessee any day of the week. My ONLY hope was moving to Massachusetts, the only state that guarantees a roof over the head of every family. Harvard University hired me as a disadvantaged person at my highest previous pay rate. I don't think our nation can afford sustained liberalism, but I do appreciate the help provided when the "Chistian South" failed. Liberalism doesn't anger me; it just scares me.

If someone says churches can substitute government to help those down on their luck, I can tell them I conducted that experiment. The Southern Fundamental Christians failed. City mission type Christians are more of the genuine article in my book.

Robert A Whit
11-13-2012, 11:10 PM
When I was scorched by the Obama downturn, I first moved to Tennessee thinking people in buckle of the Bible belt would help with homeless avoidance counseling, job contacts, maybe a food pantry. They failed me miserably. I have never met stingier, nastier people in my life. I would take the Bronx over Tennessee any day of the week. My ONLY hope was moving to Massachusetts, the only state that guarantees a roof over the head of every family. Harvard University hired me as a disadvantaged person at my highest previous pay rate. I don't think our nation can afford sustained liberalism, but I do appreciate the help provided when the "Chistian South" failed. Liberalism doesn't anger me; it just scares me.

If someone says churches can substitute government to help those down on their luck, I can tell them I conducted that experiment. The Southern Fundamental Christians failed. City mission type Christians are more of the genuine article in my book.

Had you gone to Utah I believe your fate would have been much better than in TN.

gabosaurus
11-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Liberalism doesn't anger me; it just scares me.

If you are scared now, just wait a bit. You will be absolutely frightened. :dev3:

darin
11-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Perhaps the ONLY way to secure the inner-city vote: Promise them free shit.

tailfins
11-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Perhaps the ONLY way to secure the inner-city vote: Promise them free shit.

Isn't inner-city a synonym for slum? I was thinking using Sen. Alfonse D'Amato's model of becoming "Senator Pothole". It doesn't need to involve giving free stuff away, rather making things work and work less painfully.

fj1200
11-14-2012, 10:57 AM
TNR is totally correct. The GOP can no long avoid urban areas. The older white electorate no longer decides elections. Once the GOP begins to understand that, the better off they will be.

Incorrect, they decided this one by not voting.

aboutime
11-14-2012, 04:08 PM
If you are scared now, just wait a bit. You will be absolutely frightened. :dev3:

Gabby. No. You wait. Wait until January 1st, or until April 15th. Then come here to tell us how FRIGHTENED you have become. Watching all of your wonderful, comfortable possessions become someone else's. And then ask Mister Obama if that is what you voted for?

Kathianne
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Gabby. No. You wait. Wait until January 1st, or until April 15th. Then come here to tell us how FRIGHTENED you have become. Watching all of your wonderful, comfortable possessions become someone else's. And then ask Mister Obama if that is what you voted for?

She won't be, neither will my friends like her. They have enough surplus to look upon their taxes as 'doing good.' Really. I'm not saying they wouldn't or don't give to charity, but they really believe government is superior.

What will be cataclysmic to them is when the 'needs' outpace the ability to sustain the unsustainable and folks start starving or freezing. When people are looking to the government and there isn't anything to give. By that time, the private outlets would be under water too.

It won't happen by April 15, not likely within 8 years, but if we stay the present course, it will occur.

gabosaurus
11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Our investments are very solid. We don't have a lot of material possessions. The majority of our excess capital is invested or sheltered. Our home can only increase in value because of where we live.

There is a lot of Chicken Little Complex on this board. But don't worry, I felt the same way in 2004.

tailfins
11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Our investments are very solid. We don't have a lot of material possessions. The majority of our excess capital is invested or sheltered. Our home can only increase in value because of where we live.

There is a lot of Chicken Little Complex on this board. But don't worry, I felt the same way in 2004.

And what pray tell, did you think was going to happen in 2004?

mundame
11-14-2012, 05:37 PM
And what pray tell, did you think was going to happen in 2004?

Whatever any of us thought was going to happen bad (or good) in 2004, it wasn't what we got --- we got two failing wars and a worldwide financial collapse with deep recessions and the Mideast collapsing and the Euro Zone in the process of falling apart.

Good thing we just worried about the nothing stuff we did worry about in 2004! It has all been much, much worse.

Oh, and an election that featured Sarah Palin and Barack Hussein Obama to fix it all ----

Ho, boy.

Kathianne
11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Whatever any of us thought was going to happen bad (or good) in 2004, it wasn't what we got --- we got two failing wars and a worldwide financial collapse with deep recessions and the Mideast collapsing and the Euro Zone in the process of falling apart.

Good thing we just worried about the nothing stuff we did worry about in 2004! It has all been much, much worse.

Oh, and an election that featured Sarah Palin and Barack Hussein Obama to fix it all ----

Ho, boy.

Explain why you think the election of 2004 led to Palin and Obama. I'm confused at your assumed causation.

Kathianne
11-14-2012, 07:54 PM

What's the bearing on your being superior? I wasn't addressing your family's wonderful state.

Robert A Whit
11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
She won't be, neither will my friends like her. They have enough surplus to look upon their taxes as 'doing good.' Really. I'm not saying they wouldn't or don't give to charity, but they really believe government is superior.

What will be cataclysmic to them is when the 'needs' outpace the ability to sustain the unsustainable and folks start starving or freezing. When people are looking to the government and there isn't anything to give. By that time, the private outlets would be under water too.

It won't happen by April 15, not likely within 8 years, but if we stay the present course, it will occur.

To add proof to your point, even if they ignore Greece, they should look at the riots in Spain. People are super angry.