PDA

View Full Version : DOW down....900 points in a month

mundame
11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Have you noticed the Dow has dropped below 12,700 today? The high was Oct. 5, at some 13,600. it has dropped 900 points in a month --- that can't be good, can it?

The drop started the day after the election.

The media, incl. the business press, is spinning this as fear of the fiscal cliff, but it seems obvious to me that it is business being dismayed and anxious about Obama winning reelection. There is nothing to be done about that, so the press is trying to turn the concern to something that may be possible to do something about, the fiscal cliff crisis.

And then there's Europe; there's always Europe, it seems. But I think the big drop in stocks is because of the bad election for business. Anybody else?

jimnyc
11-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Hmmmm, interesting. When Bush was in office, indicators such as this were a direct reflection of the job he was doing in office. I wonder if those who stated as much feel the same way today. I'm sure it'll still be Bush's fault, or whitey trying to ruin the market to make Obama look bad.

gabosaurus
11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
An intelligent thinking person would realize that the drop in the market is related to worries about the fiscal cliff and the unsettled economies in the European Union. The market has never had anything to do with who occupies the Oval Office.
Then again, it could be whitey trying to make Obama look bad.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VizIrBQwA8w/SQaFycch6TI/AAAAAAAAFZo/set-WbO4hfo/s400/skinheaddouchebag.jpg

tailfins
11-14-2012, 12:08 PM
An intelligent thinking person would realize that the drop in the market is related to worries about the fiscal cliff and the unsettled economies in the European Union. The market has never had anything to do with who occupies the Oval Office.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VizIrBQwA8w/SQaFycch6TI/AAAAAAAAFZo/set-WbO4hfo/s400/skinheaddouchebag.jpg

Gabby: No one wants to look at pictures of your girlfriend.

Robert A Whit
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Time to bring back President GW Bush. He never came close to deficits of the scope that Obama has.

National debt peaked around 10 trillion dollars with him. Obama is going up by well over 1 trillion dollars per year. This year, we will hit 17 trillion so in 4 years he raised it by 7 trillion dollars.

And he is bad for business. That is why the stock market is falling. Business realizes he is bad for them and bad for jobs.

Today on CSPAN, business caller after caller explained this. When do Democrats plan to listen?

fj1200
11-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Have you noticed the Dow has dropped below 12,700 today? The high was Oct. 5, at some 13,600. it has dropped 900 points in a month --- that can't be good, can it?

The drop started the day after the election.

As you indicated, the drop started after October 5. One could argue however that the markets reflected the Republicans doing worse than was anticipated and that they will have less ability to hold off tax increases.

:facepalm99: The market has EVERYTHING to do with future indicators and there is a pretty obvious future indicator about to be sworn in again. Unless you're going to argue that he has no say in the fiscal cliff that his actions have set in motion.

mundame
11-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Well, that's not me, then, because I think the fact that the Dow was tootling along hopefully before the election and then dropped over 300 points the day after the election might have had something to do with the election.

Fear and despair, for instance.

Just a guess......................

aboutime
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Gabby. Well, thank you, so very much for telling us how you are among those Unintelligent, Non-thinking people. One of which (above) you should have avoided posting. Considering how jimnyc dislikes members posting personal photo's.
Didn't know you were strong enough to pick up such a weapon. And you really should let your hair grow out. You look so much like a SKIN HEAD. It's comical, but troubling.

mundame
11-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Well, here's a surprise: the Dow closed down 185 points today 11/14.. So now we've lost well over a thousand points since Oct. 5, most of it in the five days since the election.

This sort of sudden....let's say "drop," not "crash," isn't usually appreciated in financial circles.

I'd say the market thought Romney was going to win. Whoops, big disappointment. Now the market has climbed onto a toboggan going downhill. Business interests sure don't like Obama!

This is actually a problem: this could be a situation.

I'd expect some frantic speeches and words and pretences that there's no problem with 1) the fiscal cliff, 2) Europe, 3) the U.S. going into recession, that will quickly take place. There will be no substance --- if they could fix it, they already would have --- but lots of words, words, words to try to talk the market back up.

gabosaurus
11-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Your conspiracy theories are getting so predictable. The market has a lot more variables than who won or lost the presidential election.

U.S. stocks fell more than 1% Wednesday as fears of turmoil in the Middle East added to ongoing concerns about a fiscal showdown in the United States.
The selling Wednesday afternoon "centered on geopolitical concerns arising out of events in Gaza," said Ryan Larson, a senior equity trader at RBC Global Asset Management.
The strife in the Middle East added to an already gloomy mood on Wall Street, where concerns about the fiscal cliff have dominated the market following the re-election of President Obama. Most investors expect a compromise, but they are not taking any chances until Obama and Republicans in Congress reach a deal to avert the onset of automatic tax hikes and spending cuts that could push the economy into recession.

http://money.cnn.com/data/us_markets/

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldpbusiness/business-local/2012/11/14/stock-market-report-wednesday-november-14-2012-99623-32234374

Kathianne
11-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, here's a surprise: the Dow closed down 185 points today 11/14.. So now we've lost well over a thousand points since Oct. 5, most of it in the five days since the election.

This sort of sudden....let's say "drop," not "crash," isn't usually appreciated in financial circles.

I'd say the market thought Romney was going to win. Whoops, big disappointment. Now the market has climbed onto a toboggan going downhill. Business interests sure don't like Obama!

This is actually a problem: this could be a situation.

I'd expect some frantic speeches and words and pretences that there's no problem with 1) the fiscal cliff, 2) Europe, 3) the U.S. going into recession, that will quickly take place. There will be no substance --- if they could fix it, they already would have --- but lots of words, words, words to try to talk the market back up.

Do you think the strikes throughout the EU had anything to do with today?

gabosaurus
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Do you think the strikes throughout the EU had anything to do with today?

I think the strikes throughout Europe were responsible for today. And much of the last week.

Kathianne
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
I think the strikes throughout Europe were responsible for today. And much of the last week.

High five for today at least!

mundame
11-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Sure. After all, business WUVS Obama. The 300-point drop in the Dow the day after the election was probably just coincidence, right?

And hey, the market goes up, the market goes down, a thousand points gone, no biggie, it'll come back up next week, no doubt, maybe......

Besides, Wall Street is evil and the USA needs to tax the hell out of them, that'll larn 'em. Once Obama gets those taxes going good --- he called today for $1.6 trillion dollars increased taxes, DOUBLE what he called for last summer -- no doubt business will gain lots of confidence in Obama for giving all their money away to the poor and the market will go up again. Say, his proposing double the taxes, double the fun couldn't be why the Dow lost 185 today, could it? No, no, that's just a conspiracy theory, no doubt. Obamatax couldn't be knocking the wind out of the market, surely.

gabosaurus
11-14-2012, 05:12 PM
I am not a market analyst. I merely married one.
But I do know that investors are an extremely apprehensive lot. They are quite worried about the fiscal cliff. It didn't show up until this week because Congress was in election recess. Now that it is back to business, Wall Street is quite worried.
They are also worried that the tension between Israel and Syria, added to growing chaos in Europe, will destabilize the world markets.
My husband was getting so many calls last night that he took the phone off the hook at 8 p.m.
My daughter was very unhappy. She was waiting for a boy to call her. :laugh:

mundame
11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
They are also worried that the tension between Israel and Syria, added to growing chaos in Europe, will destabilize the world markets.

Well ---- there's been a little action on the Golan Heights, but I'd say Gaza and Egypt are the real foci of trouble right now, as Israel is as of today on a full war footing with Gaza again. Gaza is looking to Egypt to get their back, but I think they'll be disappointed. I am hoping it will just be the usual thing --- Israel will put down all the bad guys with pinpoint satellite aiming and blow up all the weapons storage sites that need blowing up, and that will end it for a few years again.

There have been so many European financial crises in the last two years that I wonder if there is any reason to pay much attention to it all -- however many petrol bombs the "demonstrators" throw at police -- until something actually does happen. I had been assuming it would be a bank run that would signal The End but since the Catalonia threat to secede from Spain, I've decided it will be something totally off the wall that I can't imagine, as crises so often are. Like Iceland ---- that was truly weird.

Because our minds run on tracks, but reality doesn't.