PDA

View Full Version : For New Jerseyan's

jimnyc
11-14-2012, 11:56 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yudk_4I-slQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
It's odd. I know that so many other places were affected, especially NY, but I have a longer history with NJ. And seeing so many recognizable places in ruins, or still in disarray, it only makes me want to "go home" that much more. Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Keansburg, Point Pleasant, Toms River, Belmar... These are places that I was brought to when I was a toddler, and when I was a small boy, and as a young teen - and continued going to when I was a young adult. If you grew up in NJ, these places were a part of your life. And now there is talk in some areas about not rebuilding. I can't imagine anyone thinking that. And even if they do, it will be "new". I am going to be sad to see that. I want to see the old wood on the boardwalks and the 4 and 5 decade old rides, and the extremely outdated games. It's not just because they are old, but they were memories, reminders of where we grew up and who we once were.

I've been sad since Sandy hit, all for the people, the lost lives, those in need. Now that things are 'beginning' to get somewhat back to normal, I'm realizing that a lot of history is gone, forever. :(

Kathianne
11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
This just isn't getting enough coverage. Thanks, Jim! Most of what I've seen has been from videos like that one and stories like Vote and WL.

aboutime
11-14-2012, 03:06 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yudk_4I-slQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

jimnyc: I can't help but wonder about HOW MANY residents of N.Y, and N.J. voted early for Obama. Before Sandy hit. And how many of them are now wishing they hadn't. Feeling that BUYERS REMORSE over Obama, the magnificent LIAR.

Kathianne
11-14-2012, 08:00 PM
http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_9356.shtml

NY, not NJ, but same type of area:

Poor, Black and still in the dark <small>By Saeed Shabazz (http://www.twitter.com/SaeedShabazz) -Staff Writer- | Last updated: Nov 14, 2012 - 11:04:29 AM

</small>CONEY ISLAND (FinalCall.com) - Once described as the “nation’s playground” with the world-famous Cyclone Roller Coaster, hot dog eating contests and the beach where everyday New Yorkers gathered for a day in the sun, Coney Island is now the scene of devastation due to Hurricane Sandy.

Out of sight of the video arcades and cotton candy way, way down on Surf Avenue live the thousands who inhabit public housing complexes such as Coney Island Houses, with its five 14-story buildings, housing some 1,398 residents. Fifty-one percent of the inhabitants are Black, while 14 percent are seniors over 65-years-old.

Nehemiah Mims, 80, who lives in nearby O’Dwyer Gardens on the 13th floor, left her apartment early the day Hurricane Sandy hit New York. “When Housing knocked on my door and asked was I staying or leaving—I left,” she told The Final Call laughing.

Ms. Mims, like hundreds of others, has found her way each day since the hurricane to the doors of the Coney Island Gospel Assembly at 29th and Neptune Ave. Ms. Mims finds a hot meal and needed supplies for her apartment, which she says still has no power, no heat and no hot water.

The Final Call visited the church Nov. 9, and according to reports, 35,000 public housing residents in Coney Island and Far Rockaway were still in the dark. Many of them had the same complaint that Ms. Mims had: “City not saying nothing.”

The NYC Housing Authority, however, did send out a notice that tenants would receive a rent credit for January due to the lack of services and temporary boilers would arrive by the end of the week.

NYCHA provided numbers of its residents still suffering from the “Superstorm Sandy” to the press on Nov. 12, saying 6,847 residents in 33 buildings in six developments in Coney Island, Red Hook in Brooklyn and Far Rockaway, Queens had no power. Another 18,140 residents in 96 buildings in 14 developments have no heat, nor hot water....

<small></small>