View Full Version : Blogging the Koran

Kathianne
05-27-2007, 01:09 PM
This should be very interesting:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/05/27/blogging-the-quran/

Blogging the Qur’an
posted at 9:00 am on May 27, 2007 by Robert Spencer
Send to a Friend | printer-friendly

To understand the motives and goals of Islamic jihad terrorists, one good place to start might be to explore what they themselves say about why they’re doing what they’re doing, and what they want. That in turn will lead you to the Qur’an (or Koran), the Islamic holy book. The jihadists quote it frequently and portray themselves as those who are following “pure Islam,” the genuine article as it is taught in the Qur’an and Islamic tradition. So in the course of my work explaining the jihadists’ objectives, I’ve quoted the Qur’an a great deal – and hardly a day goes by without my being accused of “cherry-picking” violent passages, and quoting them “out of context.” Meanwhile, the Council on American Islamic Relations and other Muslim groups say that in order to understand the true, peaceful Islam, we should read the Qur’an.

So over the course of the next few months, I’m going to read it, and discuss it in a series of columns. All of it. Not “cherry-picked” or “out of context.” The whole thing, beginning to end. Some of you may be familiar with David Plotz’s series on Slate, “Blogging the Bible.” This series will be similar to that one, but rather than just write about what I think or feel about a certain passage, I will, unlike Plotz, refer to commentaries – all Muslim ones – on the Qur’an. I’ll try to explain how mainstream Muslims who study the Qur’an will understand any given passage, and what its import might be for non-Muslims.

5stringJeff
05-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I saw a Christian blog a few years ago that started doing this, from a theological standpoint. He didn't get very far, unfortunately.

Kathianne
05-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I saw a Christian blog a few years ago that started doing this, from a theological standpoint. He didn't get very far, unfortunately.
Well here's one mentioned in the Spencer piece on the Bible:

http://www.slate.com/id/2150150/

He is Jewish though, Old Testament:

Introduction

Genesis

Exodus

Leviticus

Numbers

Deuteronomy

Joshua

Judges

1 Samuel

2 Samuel

1 Kings

2 Kings

Isaiah

Jeremiah

Ezekiel

Hosea

Joel, Amos, and Obadiah

Jonah, Micah, and Nahum

Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi

Psalms

Proverbs

Book of Job

Song of Songs

Book of Ruth

Lamentations and Ecclesiastes

Book of Esther

Book of Daniel

Book of Ezra

Nehemiah

82Marine89
05-27-2007, 06:35 PM
http://www.colinfahey.com/funny_images/warning_label_koran.jpg

Hugh Lincoln
05-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Blogging the Bible on "Slate" is OK, I thought it would be disrespectful but it's not.

Gaffer
05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
This should be very interesting:

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/05/27/blogging-the-quran/

Cool I take it he'll be doing this on his website. Could be an eye opener for some.

Kathianne
05-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Cool I take it he'll be doing this on his website. Could be an eye opener for some.

Yep, on Sundays. ;)

gabosaurus
05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
A lot of people believe the Bible is fiction.
And no one who doesn't read and understand Arabic fluently will ever be able to understand the Quoran. That is an absolute.

Gaffer
05-29-2007, 06:01 PM
A lot of people believe the Bible is fiction.
And no one who doesn't read and understand Arabic fluently will ever be able to understand the Quoran. That is an absolute.

The interruptaion excuse is bullshit. It's a copout when the koran says something that is blantantly evil. Spencer DOES read and understand arabic. So do his sources, many of which are arabs.

Kathianne
05-29-2007, 06:02 PM
The interruptaion excuse is bullshit. It's a copout when the koran says something that is blantantly evil. Spencer DOES read and understand arabic. So do his sources, many of which are arabs.

Correct Gaffer. Not to mention that a substantial number of Islamics are illiterate, in any language. So...

5stringJeff
06-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Great response, Gaffer.