PDA

View Full Version : Number of vacant job positions at a four-year high

gabosaurus
11-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Interesting story on Yahoo News. Seems as though there are over three million unfilled jobs, including some paying six figures. Either no one wants them or no one is qualified for them.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/hiring-100k-jobs-nobody-wants-133726536.html

Kathianne
11-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Interesting story on Yahoo News. Seems as though there are over three million unfilled jobs, including some paying six figures. Either no one wants them or no one is qualified for them.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/hiring-100k-jobs-nobody-wants-133726536.html

If I were 30 years younger, heck maybe 20, I'd go for the training. At my age and physical health, not viable.

gabosaurus
11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I read a story where energy producing companies are begging to fill high-salary positions. But no one wants to live in rural North Dakota and work long hours.
My cousin went to school with a guy who works four months a year and earns more than $100,000 a year. The guy works an energy job in the Aleutian Islands, where they work 12-hour days, six or seven days a week, in temperatures well below zero. Their living quarters are heated barracks with little to no privacy.

tailfins
11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
In my profession, lots of fake jobs are listed. I'm only exaggerating a little bit when I put this as qualifications for an ad. Hat tip to whomever sees what the intent is:

Wanted: C-Sharp professional with experience in the health insurance industry. Must have experience with our Gee-Whiz proprietary software. Must have experience managing teams that use Gee-Whiz. Must speak Hindi. Applicants must have 100% of these qualifications; none are negotiable.

Having said that: I got back on my feet doing IT consulting in Boston, watching my paycheck evaporate with the cost of living. However, eventually I was able to make contacts enabling me to work 50-100 miles away where the cost of living is half, but close enough to Boston to drive up pay rates.

PostmodernProphet
11-20-2012, 07:57 AM

if it was good as it was BEFORE Obama it would be a five year high........

CSM
11-20-2012, 07:58 AM
How much training does it take to put a company into bankruptcy?

tailfins
11-20-2012, 08:20 AM
How much training does it take to put a company into bankruptcy?

So THAT'S what Solyndra was! Now I get it. Back in the 1970s they had CETA to learn a skill in a company such as a bank teller where you received a stipend from the government. Now instead of learning to be a teller, you learn to bankrupt the company. Thanks for clearing that up.

fj1200
11-20-2012, 08:45 AM
In my profession, lots of fake jobs are listed. I'm only exaggerating a little bit when I put this as qualifications for an ad. Hat tip to whomever sees what the intent is:

Wanted: C-Sharp professional with experience in the health insurance industry. Must have experience with our Gee-Whiz proprietary software. Must have experience managing teams that use Gee-Whiz. Must speak Hindi. Applicants must have 100% of these qualifications; none are negotiable.

So I won't be getting a call back and my employer will know I'm looking to hop? dammit.

tailfins
11-20-2012, 09:58 AM
So I won't be getting a call back and my employer will know I'm looking to hop? dammit.

In case you haven't figured it out, ads of that type are to fulfill the requirement to advertize a position locally before giving the opportunity to an H1-B applicant. They already have someone they want to place and are just posting the ad as a perfunctory compliance with the law. Often it's a temporary person who they want to make permanent, thus the requirement of experience with a PROPRIETARY system.