PDA

View Full Version : Found 900,000 dollars and turned it in!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-21-2012, 07:08 PM
http://now.msn.com/cab-driver-in-singapore-returns-lost-dollar900000

Best cab driver ever returns lost $900,000, says cash is 'unimportant'6 hrs ago
The latest addition to the heart-warming roster of good, honest people who return lost cash (http://now.msn.com/cheryl-gavazzi-turns-in-a-lost-purse-with-dollar11340-inside) is Sia Ka Tian, a taxi driver in Singapore who found nearly $900,000 in his cab. The 70-year-old taxi driver gave the sizeable sum to the taxi company's lost and found office, where it was reunited with a Thai couple who had reported the $1.1 million Singapore dollars missing. The grateful couple gave the taxi driver an undisclosed cash reward, but it sounds like it was an easy choice for him. "The money is unimportant to me," Sia Ka Tian said. "It doesn't belong to me, so how can I use it?" [Source (http://www.news.com.au/world/cabbie-returns-865k-left-by-passengers/story-fndir2ev-1226520776501)]
Click to see more on msnNOW.com (http://now.msn.com/?ocid=story), updated 24 hours a day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you turn it in?

aboutime
11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Good story. And a GOOD THING he found that money in Singapore, and not New York City, or any U.S. City for that matter.

If he had turned it in to a U.S. city. The Obama administration probably would have TAXED him at the Old Clinton Rates. Then charged him for OBAMACARE with a fine, after he suddenly had a heart attack when the IRS knocked on his door.

jimnyc
11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Would you turn it in?

Honestly? Not a chance in hell! LOL Pay off my mortgage, drugs, hookers, a new PC, an Ipad, another dog, a kitten, a 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500, Awesome stereo system, some new clothes, new camera... all kinds of gadgets, several vacations, pay someone to beat up that jerk off that lives down the road from me, .40 caliber, .9mm glock, a few bucks for family members (not a lot, they're greedy bastards), built in pool for my yard, a couple of dog houses, Rolex, and be a good citizen and donate a few thousand to my local church.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Honestly? Not a chance in hell! LOL Pay off my mortgage, drugs, hookers, a new PC, an Ipad, another dog, a kitten, a 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500, Awesome stereo system, some new clothes, new camera... all kinds of gadgets, several vacations, pay someone to beat up that jerk off that lives down the road from me, .40 caliber, .9mm glock, a few bucks for family members (not a lot, they're greedy bastards), built in pool for my yard, a couple of dog houses, Rolex, and be a good citizen and donate a few thousand to my local church.

Well my friend, at least you are honest about it. I once found a guys billfound back in 1972. It had 647 dollars in it. I drove to the address on his drivers license, knocked on the door and when he identified himself I gave it to him. He hadnt even missed it as he only lost it about an hour before. He insisted that I take 25 bucks as a reward. Iused that money to get drunk that night at my favorite tavern. I remember the cold beer tasted so much better knowing that I did a good deed and it was FREE.-:laugh:--Tyr

jimnyc
11-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Well my friend, at least you are honest about it. I once found a guys billfound back in 1972. It had 647 dollars in it. I drove to the address on his drivers license, knocked on the door and when he identified himself I gave it to him. He hadnt even missed it as he only lost it about an hour before. He insisted that I take 25 bucks as a reward. Iused that money to get drunk that night at my favorite tavern. I remember the cold beer tasted so much better knowing that I did a good deed and it was FREE.-:laugh:--Tyr

Ya see though, I think a smaller amount is much easier to give up. When speaking of near a million, that's a lotta dough! LOL

Ok, how about this - what if it's not some poor guys money, and a few bank bags that fell of the back of an armored truck, filled with 20's and 50's - and all insured? Say about $100k in total? Personally, that shit goes under my bed for a few months to make sure the coast is clear.

I feel horrible for admitting this!

Ok, not that bad though, I'd still do it! :coffee:

aboutime
11-21-2012, 08:59 PM

jimnyc. Somehow. I can't see you keeping any of it. But. Being the honest guy I think you are. You simply said what most of us would like to THINK we'd want to do IF....That much money just happened to appear.

Everybody tends to dream about finding that SACK OF MONEY that would pay off all of our bills. Everybody except those Obama followers who hate anyone who HAS MORE than they do, and they have no problem...taking it from others to become Rich...BUT NOT TELLING ANYONE they are rich of course.

jimnyc
11-21-2012, 09:00 PM
jimnyc. Somehow. I can't see you keeping any of it. But. Being the honest guy I think you are. You simply said what most of us would like to THINK we'd want to do IF....That much money just happened to appear.

Everybody tends to dream about finding that SACK OF MONEY that would pay off all of our bills. Everybody except those Obama followers who hate anyone who HAS MORE than they do, and they have no problem...taking it from others to become Rich...BUT NOT TELLING ANYONE they are rich of course.

Ok, would you believe me if I handed back the $800k I found in my taxi? LOL

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Ya see though, I think a smaller amount is much easier to give up. When speaking of near a million, that's a lotta dough! LOL

Ok, how about this - what if it's not some poor guys money, and a few bank bags that fell of the back of an armored truck, filled with 20's and 50's - and all insured? Say about $100k in total? Personally, that shit goes under my bed for a few months to make sure the coast is clear.

I feel horrible for admitting this!

Ok, not that bad though, I'd still do it! :coffee:

If it were bank money lost, I'd keep it for sure. I doubt that I'd even hesitate about it either. I'd think about how those greedy bankers just love to foreclose on people's farms, etc...-Tyr

Robert A Whit
11-21-2012, 11:23 PM
http://now.msn.com/cab-driver-in-singapore-returns-lost-dollar900000

Best cab driver ever returns lost $900,000, says cash is 'unimportant'

6 hrs ago
The latest addition to the heart-warming roster of good, honest people who return lost cash (http://now.msn.com/cheryl-gavazzi-turns-in-a-lost-purse-with-dollar11340-inside) is Sia Ka Tian, a taxi driver in Singapore who found nearly $900,000 in his cab. The 70-year-old taxi driver gave the sizeable sum to the taxi company's lost and found office, where it was reunited with a Thai couple who had reported the $1.1 million Singapore dollars missing. The grateful couple gave the taxi driver an undisclosed cash reward, but it sounds like it was an easy choice for him. "The money is unimportant to me," Sia Ka Tian said. "It doesn't belong to me, so how can I use it?" [Source (http://www.news.com.au/world/cabbie-returns-865k-left-by-passengers/story-fndir2ev-1226520776501)]
Click to see more on msnNOW.com (http://now.msn.com/?ocid=story), updated 24 hours a day.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you turn it in?

I realize that one is supposed to say, sure, but if one has that cash in their possession, suddenly thoughts like "possession is 9/10 of the law" come to play.

I am trying to recall if I ever found money.

I believe in honesty but the person that lost the money has the duty to protect themselves from loss.

I think they were lucky.

SassyLady
11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Could it be possible the taxi driver thought that much cash was linked to mobsters/gangs and didn't want them tracking it back to him? Hmmmmm.....

logroller
11-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Could of been the tax rates.:laugh:
http://www.guidemesingapore.com/taxation/topics/singapore-tax-rates

But seriously, who misplaces $900K-- its not like it was in a wallet that could slip out of your pants?

"Hey, do you have the duffle bag full of cash of cash hun?"

"I thought you had it."

fj1200
11-22-2012, 06:54 AM
... and be a good citizen and donate a few thousand to my local church.

Not even tithing your ill-gotten gains? For shame... :poke:

If it were bank money lost, I'd keep it for sure. I doubt that I'd even hesitate about it either. I'd think about how those greedy bankers just love to foreclose on people's farms, etc...-Tyr

I think they'd rather have their principal and interest payments and that people are able to honor their contractual obligations.

I realize that one is supposed to say, sure, but if one has that cash in their possession, suddenly thoughts like "possession is 9/10 of the law" come to play.

You misinterpret that. The 9/10 is evidence of your theft and/or dishonesty. :eek: