PDA

View Full Version : Small Business Saturday

jimnyc
11-23-2012, 11:59 AM
The woman aka my wife wanted me to post this. This is MUCH better than crappy black Friday and is for a great cause - supporting our local businesses, Mom and Pop stores!

Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday is a day dedicated to supporting small businesses nationwide. Last year, over one hundred million people* came together to Shop SmallŪ in their communities on Small Business Saturday

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/Shop-Small/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ejZUvxmtRK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Abbey Marie
11-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Jim, I ilke this idea, but I do have a question:

Do we exclude stores like Lowes and Home Depot and Walmart on a day like this?
I guess what I am asking is- is it the employing of local people what we are really trying to support? If so, these larger stores would qualify. Or is it the purchasing of locally made goods, in which case, very few stores would qualify.

jimnyc
11-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Jim, I ilke this idea, but I do have a question:

Do we exclude stores like Lowes and Home Depot and Walmart on a day like this?
I guess what I am asking is- is it the employing of local people that we are really trying to support? If so, these larger stores would qualify. Or is it the purchasing of locally made goods, in which case, very few stores would qualify.

I could be wrong, the woman left the building, but I think it's to support the small business OWNERS. I know in my area, in the past few years, a dozen or so small shops closed their doors. And certainly we want to do our part to help keep our local people employed as well, but I think "this" agenda is geared towards the owners and helping them keep their doors open.

fj1200
11-23-2012, 10:30 PM
... "this" agenda is geared towards the owners and helping them keep their doors open.

I'd be leery, sounds like Agenda 21 to me. I bet someone can link "sustainability" to their goals. :poke: