PDA

View Full Version : A million bucks

jimnyc
11-26-2012, 06:23 PM
That's what it's worth to me in sentimental value. With Mom passing a few years ago, finding pictures, letters and other mementos are treasures. Sometimes, you don't know the value of something until it's become a memory of something. I found this on our bookshelf and didn't even know we had it. Apparently, my Mom gave this to my wife when we got married. She received this Bible when she was 9 years old. Unfortunately, from the 2nd photo, you'll see that the binding isn't in very good condition. It's at least 63 years old. But more importantly, since my Mom saved it for at least 45 years before passing it on, I assume it meant a lot to her, and now it means a lot to me.

http://i50.tinypic.com/30aaums.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/30n93sh.jpg

Kathianne
11-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Jim, your mom was a treasure. You're right in keeping her memory alive.

gabosaurus
11-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I would say a million bucks is under valuing the book. Such memories are priceless.
My mom has a couple of photos of her being "presented" to members of the family. In her German family, when kids reached their second birthday, they were dressed up and "presented" to the rest of the family in a rather ornate ceremony.
Both photos are rather fuzzy, cracked and mounted to prevent them from falling apart. But I am guessing they are priceless to her.

When my sister and I went to Germany, we dressed up in some old clothes from the 1940s and posed for a picture with some of our extended family. Part of the reason why I love history so much.

darin
11-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Holding property once held by others, a generation ago, or an age ago, links our energy with theirs - it serves as our spirit's time machine; connecting their present with ours.

Great find, Jim.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-27-2012, 11:19 AM
That's what it's worth to me in sentimental value. With Mom passing a few years ago, finding pictures, letters and other mementos are treasures. Sometimes, you don't know the value of something until it's become a memory of something. I found this on our bookshelf and didn't even know we had it. Apparently, my Mom gave this to my wife when we got married. She received this Bible when she was 9 years old. Unfortunately, from the 2nd photo, you'll see that the binding isn't in very good condition. It's at least 63 years old. But more importantly, since my Mom saved it for at least 45 years before passing it on, I assume it meant a lot to her, and now it means a lot to me.

http://i50.tinypic.com/30aaums.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/30n93sh.jpg

Jim, thats great and you should cherish it greatly. I still have the pocketknife my grandfather gave me about 5 months before he died in 1966 and the old single shot 12 gauge shotgun my father bought me when I turned ten years old in 1964.

We were a family of 13 , eleven kids and over the years since our father's death in 1969 the 9 large full photo albums have been distributed to family members by my mother. She kept two albums, so we had 7 albums but 10 kids (baby brother died in 1976) so I got left out . So back in the early 90's I borrowed albums from my sisters and brothers and copied many pictures to create my own albums! I wouldnt take a thousand bucks for those 4 albums now. Two will go to each of my kids and the 6 albums from my 2nd marraige will go to my daughter KK from that union. I am currently doing a special photo album for my son Justin.. I started it 2 months after my heart attack in 2009.

This is taken from my book , the only one known to exist , one of a 150 numbered copies 1926 by the author E.E. Speight titled , The WELL of MEMORY.

I am the child of Heaven and Earth : I am parched
with thirst : I perish : give me cool water to drink from
the Well of Memory.
Greek Sepulchral Inscription on an Orphic Tablet
(of c. 300 B.C.) found at Petelia in South Italy.

Memories are a very precious thing ...-Tyr

jimnyc
11-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Would anyone recommend getting the book "repaired"? I don't know what that entails, but I'm afraid of taking away of any of the original, but at the same time, wouldn't mind being able to go through it without fear of the inside falling off the binder!

Kathianne
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Would anyone recommend getting the book "repaired"? I don't know what that entails, but I'm afraid of taking away of any of the original, but at the same time, wouldn't mind being able to go through it without fear of the inside falling off the binder!

Years ago Marshall Field's downtown did restoration of materials like your mom's, photos too. Obviously they're out of business and I doubt Macy's does such.

I found this link, don't know if it will help:

http://www.alibris.com/article/book-restoration

aboutime
11-27-2012, 01:43 PM

jimnyc. I've seen Bookbinding on the Discovery channel, and from what I took away from that program. Bookbinding is a dying art, and it appears. A good company's work would be rather expensive. But Top Quality.

Look online in Google, or whatever Search engine you use. And use your ZIP code to find someone close.

jimnyc
11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Well, I'll look into it and check the cost. I'd be afraid of mailing it anywhere as sometimes shit happens in the mail and I'd be afraid of never seeing it again.

Kathianne
11-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Well, I'll look into it and check the cost. I'd be afraid of mailing it anywhere as sometimes shit happens in the mail and I'd be afraid of never seeing it again.

I would think that being in NY, no reason for mailing. Just have to find someone you 'trust.' See examples of what they've done.

Abbey Marie
11-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I like the worn look of an old book. And in this case, I especially love the idea that it shows how much your mom used it and loved it.

Kathianne
11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I like the worn look of an old book. And in this case, I especially love the idea that it shows how much your mom used it and loved it.

I agree 100%. The problem is that paper breaks down, as does the ink. Restoration can slow both of those down, sometimes bringing back faded text, if there is any.

jimnyc
11-27-2012, 02:04 PM

The problem is, the way the binder is, when I open the book the flopping binder pulls on the pages more than it should, and I'm afraid of any tearing. But I too like the old and used look!

There's also another gem I found inside! I am going to get this to my sister, as it's a hand made "card" she made for Mom when she was in like 1st or 2nd grade. But it's also the fact that Mom chose to keep it for so long, buried in her Bible. If I had to guesstimate, this drawing was from around 1971 or so.

http://i48.tinypic.com/24b9fko.jpg

Abbey Marie
11-27-2012, 02:30 PM
The problem is, the way the binder is, when I open the book the flopping binder pulls on the pages more than it should, and I'm afraid of any tearing. But I too like the old and used look!

There's also another gem I found inside! I am going to get this to my sister, as it's a hand made "card" she made for Mom when she was in like 1st or 2nd grade. But it's also the fact that Mom chose to keep it for so long, buried in her Bible. If I had to guesstimate, this drawing was from around 1971 or so.

http://i48.tinypic.com/24b9fko.jpg

Your call, Jim. I would leave it as is, and treat it very gingerly. It's like giving an old woman a face lift. You can do it, but she's earned those wrinkles, and they tell a story in themselves. :cool:

aboutime
11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Your call, Jim. I would leave it as is, and treat it very gingerly. It's like giving an old woman a face lift. You can do it, but she's earned those wrinkles, and they tell a story in themselves. :cool:

Good call Abbey. Why do anything with it Jim? It has too much emotional value to you. If it is safe in your keeping. Protect it, admire it, and remember the Love it evokes in you, and your Mother. Problem solved. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

Kathianne
11-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't disagree with the thinking of Abbey or AT above. Question comes up though, if it's for you or do you wish to keep for your son and hopefully future? If so, restoration can help save those for longer.

Then again, you could make digitized archives remembering to keep that updated? Real history and virtual?