PDA

View Full Version : Pill Pockets

jimnyc
11-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I use these to give my Pug his medications. It's a soft treat that is open ended, so that you can stick the pill in there and the dog is none the wiser, as the fat little bastard just swallows whole. Anyway, up until today they were all beef flavored. The last I bought them they had only "duck and pea" flavor. I just opened it to give him his medicine - and that's the most offensive thing I've ever smelled! I had no choice but to give it to him as it's all I have left, but I'll damn sure be going back to Petco tonight to see if they got more in. I even just had to wash my hands as that nasty thing stayed on my hands. I can't even explain the horrible scent that came out of that bag when I unsealed it. The dog ain't getting them anymore as no way in hell I ever open that again. Well, maybe one more time, as I open it and stick it under the wife's pillow!

WiccanLiberal
11-27-2012, 05:56 PM
I have never bothered with the commercial ones. I always just used a little cheese or something and made a little pellet of that. The dog never seemed to notice the difference. Now cats on the other hand....

Abbey Marie
11-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Re cats:

I give my cat her daily pill in a hard treat. They are called Friskies Party Mix. There is a hole in the center of the star-shaped ones, and luckily, her pills are very small.

My previous cat liked soft treats, so it was easy to stick the pill in the center of those and cover it up. This cat won't eat soft treats at all.

Our vet sells treats with a big open center that would fit even a large pill, but they are pretty expensive.

Finally, if all else fails, we have a kind of pill shooter that you shoot into their open mouth. I would definitely have band aids and Neosporin ready for that job!

jimnyc
11-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Re cats:

I give my cat her daily pill in a hard treat. They are called Friskies Party Mix. There is a hole in the center of the star-shaped ones, and luckily, her pills are very small.

My previous cat liked soft treats, so it was easy to stick the pill in the center of those and cover it up. This cat won't eat soft treats at all.

Our vet sells treats with a big open center that would fit even a large pill, but they are pretty expensive.

Finally, if all else fails, we have a kind of pill shooter that you shoot into their open mouth. I would definitely have band aids and Neosporin ready for that job!

That's where I got the idea, cause our vet sells them, then I saw them at Petco. It's like $13 for a bag of 30. My dog is such a slob that he would eat it if it were glued to a rock, so I don't know why I waste the money. It's just a pain sometimes always going through the fridge or cabinets to find something to put it in/on, so I tried these.

gabosaurus
11-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Our cat is too smart for that. He will sniff at any food that he doesn't recognize. We have to get medication in liquid form or put the pill forcefully.