PDA

View Full Version : Parent Upset By Scuffle On School Bus

nevadamedic
05-27-2007, 11:10 PM
OMAHA, Neb. -- The parent of a kindergarten student at Omaha's Sunny Slope Elementary was angry and upset when she watched videotape of an incident on board an Omaha Public School bus this week.

"It was absolutely appalling and horrifying," said the mother, Karen Sasse.

The mother said her child was accused of breaking an older child's glasses. Sasse told KETV Newswatch 7 that security camera video on board the bus showed several older children punching, kicking and pulling the kindergarten student's hair.

Sasse said her 6-year-old son, Tanner, got upset because a 6th-grade student was bullying him on the school bus. She said her sone was not totally innocent, because he did destroy a child's glasses.

Sasse said Tanner reacted to the bully. "He gets up from his seat, grabs the kid's glasses and breaks them." She said the frightening part was what happened afterward.

"It was a free-for-all on my son," Sasse said.

"After he broke the glasses in half, all the kids mauled my son. They drug him out of his seat. He was on the floor. They were kicking and punching him while he's crying and screaming, trying to get to his feet to the front of the bus," said Sasse.

Sasse said the children yelled profanities at her son and one girl even threatened to kill him.

Sasse said she witnessed the brawl on school bus security videotape. Several parents went to Laidlaw Transportation Company to view the tape after a parent demanded that Sasse pay for her son's broken glasses.

Sasse said after viewing the videotape, the attitude of the other parents changed.

Omaha Public Schools would not comment on the incident, saying it's under investigation. OPS would not allow Newswatch 7 reporters to view the videotape.

"I never had this one before in the 11 years I've been here," said OPS Transportation Director, Dave Wolf.

Sasse has asked Omaha police to file charges in the case.

http://www.ketv.com/news/13392197/detail.html?subid=22100461&qs=1;bp=t

Where in the hell was the bus driver? Kids will be kids as far as a scuffle and breaking an item but a ton of kits beating one up, thats just wrong.