PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Chickens?

darin
11-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Which side do you support?

Initially - I thought the City should back down. After digesting, however, I think the problem is with the folks who have chickens and demand the city change its laws. Know your laws - for the same reason I'd Never move to CA, if laws are terrible, or disagreeable, do not move there.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-backyard-chicken-farmers-arizona-20121127,0,2480866.story

In recent months, hundreds of Phoenix-area chicken owners have faced nuisance and zoning violations after neighbors griped about odor and noise – clucking hens and crowing roosters. They say poultry poses a health risk and doesn't belong near homes, claims that chicken owners vehemently dispute.

revelarts
11-28-2012, 08:20 AM
FREEDOOOMMM!!!!
I want to clutch my guns, Bibles and Chickensssss.

Leave me alone.

tailfins
11-28-2012, 09:08 AM
FREEDOOOMMM!!!!
I want to clutch my guns, Bibles and Chickensssss.

Leave me alone.

It's not freedom if your #$%W#$%^ chickens wake me up at 5:00 AM, especially in a place not designed for chickens such as a subdivision.

Abbey Marie
11-28-2012, 09:14 AM

Initially - I thought the City should back down. After digesting, however, I think the problem is with the folks who have chickens and demand the city change its laws. Know your laws - for the same reason I'd Never move to CA, if laws are terrible, or disagreeable, do not move there.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-backyard-chicken-farmers-arizona-20121127,0,2480866.story

One man's chicken is another man's giant RV parked on the street. We all have our annoyances. I agree with D. If you don't like the laws in an area, don't move there. If you already live there, deal with it, or move to a more rural area where there is room to express yourself.

aboutime
11-28-2012, 09:18 AM
It's not freedom if your #$%W#$%^ chickens wake me up at 5:00 AM, especially in a place not designed for chickens such as a subdivision.

tailfins. Totally agree about it not being freedom. But there is a remedy...if you can catch the chickens. Buffalo Wings, or KFC come to mind?

fj1200
11-28-2012, 09:57 AM

I think most of us here support local control, this is a perfect example where people can choose where to live based on laws and zoning.

revelarts
11-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Chickens don't have to be any more annoying than large barking/howling dogs or screaming cats.
Probably less so in most cases. Like dog breeds some chickens are quieter than others. Other none domesticated pets get a pass. I'd be more uncomfortable with some of the other exotic pets some folks like to keep. boa constrictors, scorpions, and the like. Seems chickens have a image problem in residential areas more than anything. Some people don't like to feel they are on/near the farm i guess.

And just because your in a place that has a no chickens law doesn't mean it's wrong to get it changed to suit your taste.
And Chickens can do a lot of good. they can eat ticks and other pest, and if there is an airborne pathogen of some kind they can act like canary in a cave. If the bottom does drop out the folks complaining will wish they had a neighbor with some chickens.

Bottom line chickens are no more nuisance than any other pets.

FREEEDOMMMM

fj1200
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM
FREEEDOMMMM

:rolleyes: Although I like the enthusiasm let's not go crazy defending chicken owners when on the other hand you're (probably) fully supportive of SF cracking down on those pesky nudists.

Abbey Marie
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
:rolleyes: Although I like the enthusiasm let's not go crazy defending chicken owners when on the other hand you're (probably) fully supportive of SF cracking down on those pesky nudists.

Guess it depends on which peckers bother you more.

(Someone had to say it)

fj1200
11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Oh no you di'n't!!! :laugh:

I briefly thought about trying to work something but... :bow3:

revelarts
11-28-2012, 01:32 PM
I think Abbey answered that brilliantly.

But FJ they want to free range around in the their high fenced backyard naked. that's fine with me.
it'll give the gov't drones something to focus on.

AND If they want to go to council and try to change the decency, exposure and sexual harassment laws etc so they and walk the streets nude, they are welcome to try.

Trigg
11-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Chickens don't have to be any more annoying than large barking/howling dogs or screaming cats.
Probably less so in most cases. Like dog breeds some chickens are quieter than others. Other none domesticated pets get a pass. I'd be more uncomfortable with some of the other exotic pets some folks like to keep. boa constrictors, scorpions, and the like. Seems chickens have a image problem in residential areas more than anything. Some people don't like to feel they are on/near the farm i guess.

And just because your in a place that has a no chickens law doesn't mean it's wrong to get it changed to suit your taste.
And Chickens can do a lot of good. they can eat ticks and other pest, and if there is an airborne pathogen of some kind they can act like canary in a cave. If the bottom does drop out the folks complaining will wish they had a neighbor with some chickens.

FREEEDOMMMM

If someone moves into a subdivision with a HOA they have to obey the rules. Afterall they didn't have to move there.

Chickens are barnyard animals, no matter how you slice it......and not to argue chickens vs dogs. But chicken shit smells god awful.

Robert A Whit
11-28-2012, 05:34 PM

I have experience with chickens. I was living with my last girlfriend and she got the urge to have chickens in her very large back yard. She only had a few. I constructed her a nice chicken cage with roost and nests and she would let the birds roam her yard part of the time.

I can't recall those chickens raising a ruckus. We broke up and I can't report on what happened later.

I also appraised homes for a long time. I appraised a condo one time in the city and some neighbor had a lot of chickens.

They were super loud. I admit they really distracted me from doing my job. No way would I have wanted to live next to that many hens and roosters.

I did not realize chickens can get so loud. All the roosters raising hell and all. Maybe my lady had hens. I just can't recall.

Robert A Whit
11-28-2012, 05:39 PM

I think it is the roosters not the hens. Also, maybe 3 or 4 are ok, but too many really can upset neighbors.

My then lady friend got her chickens as just hatched chicks. They were so cute at the time. I stayed with her long enough that they had grown up. I can't recall her chickens bothering anybody. But maybe she had no roosters. I think I would recall a rooster but don't have that memory.

Robert A Whit
11-28-2012, 05:44 PM
If someone moves into a subdivision with a HOA they have to obey the rules. Afterall they didn't have to move there.

Chickens are barnyard animals, no matter how you slice it......and not to argue chickens vs dogs. But chicken shit smells god awful.

Well, we are subject to existing rules.

But the issue to me is not that it is a chicken, but how many of them are there and what are their sexes?

If you love a dog, but move in and have 50 dogs or cats, be sure somebody will say your place stinks of excrement and has foul odors. And all that barking to deal with.

So, since a chicken is just a bird, if one has hens and only a couple or maybe 3 of them, the problem won't be there.

If a person has to endure a lot of those birds, they will drive you crazy. They are super loud when the roosters get to crowing. And they don's stop crowing unless they are sleeping.

Robert A Whit
11-28-2012, 05:54 PM

FREEEDOMMMM

I commented on this a few times.

I don't know a lot about chickens but know that I had a lady friend that wanted some chickens.

She bought chicks down the road and that place had supplies. I went there at times for supplies. It has been in the mid 90s and that is years back. I simply do not remember her breed of chickens making noise of note. I don't like to try to sleep when chickens raise hell.

I appraised a condo and next door somebody had maybe hundreds of chickens. They were terrible. I could hear them driving down the street. I can't imagine trying to live next door to such loud sounds. I did not try to sniff the air but take the word of some that too many stink the place up.

I am not clear on the city rules where my lady lived but it was fairly rural area overall but her home was in tract right at the very edge of empty farm fields. By this time the city might ban chickens. I may try to check.

If you own one dog, maybe it will bark and ruin the sleep of neighbors. Same with chickens. And roosters are loud. My friend may have had nothing but hens. I can't recall any of them crowing.

Also, she did not overdo it. She had just a few.

Robert A Whit
11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Guess it depends on which peckers bother you more.

(Someone had to say it)

And the female nudists?

When the topless bars in SF started out, they were on the news a lot.

Wanting to see for myself, me and my wife went to the city and to a well known topless bar.

The girls got onto our table to dance.

I got bored.

I could see all the boobs I needed to see right at home.

This reminds me of a stunt I was part of in the late 60s. Something is making me tell you guys this. I hope it makes you laugh.

At that time, i owned a machine shop and had maybe half a dozen workers.

We wrapped up a very big job one day and to show my appreciation to the guys, I bought them beer and stuff to eat.

Well, naturally as we drank beer, one of them suggested we hop in our cars and go to the local topless bar.

I had not been there so I says, sure.

We had no idea that my wife and Jims wife would show up at the shop.

Jim's wife had to be part blood hound. She Knew Jim so well that she took my wife with her and both showed up at the topless bar.

My wife would never think of me as going to one.

Anyway, this topless waitress had a Maya Calender made of metal, probably Brass and I admired it. It was perhaps 6 inches in diameter and hung from a long necklace.

She had a see through top on but that was not my interest. She agreed to let me look closely at the calendar and I was holding it as I looked at it. I was not looking at those boobs.

Anyway, when the two women showed up, they spotted us at the table drinking beer. My wife purchased a pitcher of beer and of course I had not seen them come into the bar.

Greg, sitting next to me (my shop foreman) nudges me in my side and says, Bob, your wife is here. I figured he was joking.

She came up behind me and as I looked at the calendar, sudenly she dumps the pitcher of beer all over me.

I forgot to mention she had a terrible temper. LOL

It ended up with security asking me if I wanted her booted out. I said, no, she stays. She sat down to share beer with us.

My guys were laughing so hard ....

Well, naturally back at work, it came up pretty often.