PDA

View Full Version : New England is UNBELIEVABLE for IT

tailfins
11-28-2012, 02:29 PM
After moving to New Hampshire, I wanted to avoid difficult cities to work. Not wanting to tell an agency, consulting firm or recruiter "NO", I just jacked up my rate for places I don't want to be. I was getting $42/hour in NH and happy with that. When asked what it would take to go back to urban Boston, I said $70/hour. I'm still getting interest from opportunities in Boston AT THAT RATE. I jacked up my rate for Connecticut as well AND GOT IT! Unbelievable!

fj1200
11-28-2012, 02:31 PM
^Get it while it's good but make them put you up in nice places for your trouble. :thumb:

I have a couple of local friends who regularly are gone during the week but home Thursday night through Monday morning.

Abbey Marie
11-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Since my husband is in IT, and we have considered moving to New England (prob NH to be near family), that's good to know.

tailfins
11-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Since my husband is in IT, and we have considered moving to New England (prob NH to be near family), that's good to know.

NH requires a focused effort to get an opportunity. NH offers were tough to get. When your contacts starts mentioning you as available, offers start cascading in FROM MASSACHUSETTS. Of course every day you work at home in NH, even from a MA employer is NOT subject to MA income tax.

Robert A Whit
11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
People have proven that they will move over paying more taxes. States wanting to grow slash taxes. It works every time.

CSM
11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
I have lived in NH all my life (except when I was running around the planet, meeting interesting people and killing them with the Army's approval). Born and raised here. I love it. The only bad thing is all the dang transplants from other places that want to change it to be exactly like the place they just left!

Abbey Marie
11-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I have lived in NH all my life (except when I was running around the planet, meeting interesting people and killing them with the Army's approval). Born and raised here. I love it. The only bad thing is all the dang transplants from other places that want to change it to be exactly like the place they just left!

Mass people are truly ruining a fine state. My BIL tells me the state has now gone all-Dem?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
11-30-2012, 09:32 AM
After moving to New Hampshire, I wanted to avoid difficult cities to work. Not wanting to tell an agency, consulting firm or recruiter "NO", I just jacked up my rate for places I don't want to be. I was getting $42/hour in NH and happy with that. When asked what it would take to go back to urban Boston, I said $70/hour. I'm still getting interest from opportunities in Boston AT THAT RATE. I jacked up my rate for Connecticut as well AND GOT IT! Unbelievable!

If they want you make 'em pay. Never a better time for advancing your position than when already employed and not being forced to barter or take an offer because funds are low. I used to do that a lot when selling guns that I dearly hated to part with. I'd double or triple the value when offering, if no takers fine by me but if somebody pays the excess fine too. Lost my favorite M1 carbine and my 308 Winchester that way, guy paid triple the top value on my M1. I SIMPLY couldnt refuse making 7 times my original investment. It pays to negotiate when your position is strong and you can refuse offers with a smile on your face..-Tyr

CSM
11-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Mass people are truly ruining a fine state. My BIL tells me the state has now gone all-Dem?

I dunno about that; I'm not Dem for sure!

fj1200
11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Neither is Kelly Ayotte (http://www.ayotte.senate.gov/).

tailfins
11-30-2012, 10:23 AM

Saying exactly that got me banned from RedState.com . Something besides politics is driving that. The best opinion I heard about is a population that isn't transient and privately contributes to their community. Dems there get their feet held to the fire. Bay Staters will elect Republicans if a Dem stinks up the place.

Abbey Marie
11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
I dunno about that; I'm not Dem for sure!

He was referring to your elected officials. Not necessarily local ones, though.

jimnyc
11-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Sweet, a congrats is in order then? Congrats!

I was thrilled the first time I reached the $40 plateau. I wish I could get $70, but I'm considered bottom rung in the IT field. They need any help, lower portion of CT? :)

tailfins
11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Sweet, a congrats is in order then? Congrats!

I was thrilled the first time I reached the $40 plateau. I wish I could get $70, but I'm considered bottom rung in the IT field. They need any help, lower portion of CT? :)

Near Hartford.

jimnyc
11-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Near Hartford.

Can you mange getting me a helicopter ride daily, back and forth? :laugh: