PDA

View Full Version : America's True National Debt: $87 Trillion

red states rule
11-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Does anyone in DC actually care anymore?
The actual liabilities of the federal government—including Social Security, Medicare, and federal employees' future retirement benefits—already exceed $86.8 trillion, or 550% of GDP. For the year ending Dec. 31, 2011, the annual accrued expense of Medicare and Social Security was $7 trillion. Nothing like that figure is used in calculating the deficit. In reality, the reported budget deficit is less than one-fifth of the more accurate figure.
Why haven't Americans heard about the titanic $86.8 trillion liability from these programs? One reason: The actual figures do not appear in black and white on any balance sheet. But it is possible to discover them. Included in the annual Medicare Trustees' report are separate actuarial estimates of the unfunded liability for Medicare Part A (the hospital portion), Part B (medical insurance) and Part D (prescription drug coverage).
As of the most recent Trustees' report in April, the net present value of the unfunded liability of Medicare was $42.8 trillion. The comparable balance sheet liability for Social Security is $20.5 trillion.
Were American policy makers to have the benefit of transparent financial statements prepared the way public companies must report their pension liabilities, they would see clearly the magnitude of the future borrowing that these liabilities imply. Borrowing on this scale could eclipse the capacity of global capital markets—and bankrupt not only the programs themselves but the entire federal government.
These real-world impacts will be felt when currently unfunded liabilities need to be paid. In theory, the Medicare and Social Security trust funds have at least some money to pay a portion of the bills that are coming due. In actuality, the cupboard is bare: 100% of the payroll taxes for these programs were spent in the same year they were collected.
In exchange for the payroll taxes that aren't paid out in benefits to current retirees in any given year, the trust funds got nonmarketable Treasury debt. Now, as the baby boomers' promised benefits swamp the payroll-tax collections from today's workers, the government has to swap the trust funds' nonmarketable securities for marketable Treasury debt. The Treasury will then have to sell not only this debt, but far more, in order to pay the benefits as they come due. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323353204578127374039087636.html?m od=rss_opinion_main

Jbird
11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Does anyone in DC actually care anymore?Nope...those of us who do have given up and waiting for the explosion as a sign to run for the hills..so to speak. Our society is crumbling into an abyss of moral decay and ethical destruction. I think we need to hit the reset button ...personaly

aboutime
11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Now! Today! Seems like the optimum time. Last chance for those who have the ability to READ, to find a copy of the "RISE and FALL of The Roman Empire!"

No more "CRYING WOLF", or "THE SKY IS FALLING" can be denied.

Of course. Everyone will just laugh at this suggestion, and me. For being a tired, busybody, old man talking like an Idiot in suggesting such a thing could ever relate to REALITY.

So. To all who laugh. Good for you. Stay uninformed. And, by all means. Never bother to read that book. Or any Historical document that might enlighten ALL OF US.

My days on Earth are numbered. So, my only concerns are for my Wife, our Son's, their wives, and our Five grandchildren.

I expect that I won't be here to hear any of YOU who are laughing say...."We should have listened to aboutime!"

P.S. In case some are interested. Try this link for starters: http://mr_sedivy.tripod.com/rome.html