PDA

View Full Version : Omg

Trinity
11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
So I finally caved and created a website for my husbands bother's business. He has been hounding me about for two years and I kept putting him off only because he is willing to pay for it but doesn't seem to fully comprehend that most website developers are going to charge you anywhere from $1000.00 to $4000.00 depending on what you want and what kind of results you are looking for. Obviously I am not going to charge him that much because he is my husbands brother.

Now today I spent about 5 hours getting this web site together and up and running with him hovering over me the first 2 hours of working on it. It still has a few things I am going to add to it and he is supposed to get me pics to add to the gallery.

I get all the content and color and font set and then published the site. I then call him and tell him to type in the web address in the address bar so he can take a look at it and see what he thinks. He tells me he is pulling up all of these other sites and not his. I explained again, not the search bar the address bar. He claims he has done that and can not pull it up at all. However I have no problem going right to site homepage when i type it into the address bar. He is know messaging me on facebook saying he still can not pull it up.

Then he wants to know why his site is not pulling up on the first few search pages..... because it just went live 2 hours ago :slap: it will not pull up in any search until it has had time to be searched sometimes that can take up to 3 months....

I have tried explaining this to him multiple times and he is just not getting it OMG this is why I put if off for sooooooo long.

aboutime
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM
So I finally caved and created a website for my husbands bother's business. He has been hounding me about for two years and I kept putting him off only because he is willing to pay for it but doesn't seem to fully comprehend that most website developers are going to charge you anywhere from $1000.00 to $4000.00 depending on what you want and what kind of results you are looking for. Obviously I am not going to charge him that much because he is my husbands brother.

Now today I spent about 5 hours getting this web site together and up and running with him hovering over me the first 2 hours of working on it. It still has a few things I am going to add to it and he is supposed to get me pics to add to the gallery.

I get all the content and color and font set and then published the site. I then call him and tell him to type in the web address in the address bar so he can take a look at it and see what he thinks. He tells me he is pulling up all of these other sites and not his. I explained again, not the search bar the address bar. He claims he has done that and can not pull it up at all. However I have no problem going right to site homepage when i type it into the address bar. He is know messaging me on facebook saying he still can not pull it up.

Then he wants to know why his site is not pulling up on the first few search pages..... because it just went live 2 hours ago :slap: it will not pull up in any search until it has had time to be searched sometimes that can take up to 3 months....

I have tried explaining this to him multiple times and he is just not getting it OMG this is why I put if off for sooooooo long.

trinity. Did you make certain the INDEX page is there, at the place where the site is being served from?
As for the 3 months. Don't know where you managed to get that idea. But, the instant you put the site up...FTP it to the server. It is Live, and ready to go.

I also suspect. The memory, and cookies on your PC make it easy for you to view the site. But, nobody else can until you Upload the INDEX page.

Not trying to be a busybody here. But, I once created webpages and had to FTP them in order to Publish them. Been awhile. But sometimes, you overlook the obvious.

Trinity
11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
trinity. Did you make certain the INDEX page is there, at the place where the site is being served from?
As for the 3 months. Don't know where you managed to get that idea. But, the instant you put the site up...FTP it to the server. It is Live, and ready to go.

I also suspect. The memory, and cookies on your PC make it easy for you to view the site. But, nobody else can until you Upload the INDEX page.

Not trying to be a busybody here. But, I once created webpages and had to FTP them in order to Publish them. Been awhile. But sometimes, you overlook the obvious.

Yeah I did he is just not computer savvy and my brain hurts to much to deal with him right now....;)

I should also add I am still working on his SEO and metatags, and trying to explain something to someone that has no idea what you are talking about even in layman's terms....well let's just say he doesn't get it. He thinks his site should be in the top #1 spot in google search from jump.....

Robert A Whit
11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah I did he is just not computer savvy and my brain hurts to much to deal with him right now....;)

I should also add I am still working on his SEO and metatags, and trying to explain something to someone that has no idea what you are talking about even in layman's terms....well let's just say he doesn't get it. He thinks his site should be in the top #1 spot in google search from jump.....

I have never created a web site but plan to. I googled index page and got to a site by ask how and there you can tell him he can get started not only understanding web pages, but the essentials just to use them.

If he is not computer savvy, even this might be a problem. If he will learn basics to search, I think he will finally figure it out.

Why do the work when he can using the internet?

I learned something new today just over that index page. I did not know a thing about that either.

What I had thought was that when one creates a web page, the software to make it will put in the index page for you. I did not know it has to have a name. Index page seems like it could belong to any site. I need to get more education on this. I do have a book. Guess it's time to read it. LOL

Why I have been too lazy to have a web page is I paid for one many years ago and the damned thing did me no good. I had a pro do it so it should have worked. I could find the page but I did not ever get a reply by anybody that I know of.