PDA

View Full Version : A Very Good NYPD Cop

Kathianne
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
He should be the poster boy of the city for the holidays. Heartwarming story:

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/national/nypd-officer-larry-deprimos-act-of-kindness-for-homeless-man-goes-viral

NYPD Officer Larry DePrimo's act of kindness for homeless man goes viral

Posted: 2:30 PM
Last Updated: 3 hours and 23 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A tourist's snapshot of a New York City police officer giving new boots to a barefoot homeless man in Times Square has created an online sensation.

Jennifer Foster, of Florence, Ariz., was visiting New York with her husband Nov. 14, when she came across the shoeless man asking for change in Times Square.

As she was about to approach him, she said the officer -- identified as Larry DePrimo -- came up to the man with a pair of all-weather boots and thermal socks on the frigid night. She recorded his generosity on her cellphone.

It was posted Tuesday night to the NYPD's official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=388162557927199&set=a.274991665910956.65258.262068223869967&type=1&theater) and became an instant hit. More than 325,000 users "liked" it as of Thursday morning, and more than 79,000 shared it.
Thousands of people commented, including one person who praised him as "An officer AND a Gentleman."

The photo shows the officer kneeling beside the man with the boots at his feet. A shoe store is seen in the background.

The NYPD Facebook page on Thursday posted a comment from DePrimo saying "I didn't think anything of it" and updated it with a photo of DePrimo taken in 2011.

"'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you,"' Foster quoted DePrimo as saying to the homeless man. "The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man. The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching."

Foster said she's worked in law enforcement for 17 years and has never been more impressed.
"His presentation of human kindness has not been lost on myself or any of the Arizona law enforcement officials with whom this story has been shared," Foster wrote on Facebook. She said she never got the officer's name.

DePrimo, who is assigned to the Sixth Precinct and lives on Long Island, told Newsday that the homeless man "smiled from ear to ear" after getting the boots.

"It was like you gave him a million dollars," he added.

He told The New York Times that he keeps the receipt for the boots in his vest to remind him "that sometimes people have it worse."

It seems that his 'act of kindness' led to another:

http://www.ibtimes.com/nypd-officer-larry-deprimo-gives-boots-homeless-man-says-he-didnt-think-anything-it-photo-909130

...“We were just kind of shocked,” said Jose Cano, 28, a manager of the Sketchers store where the police officer bought the boots that night. “Most of us are New Yorkers, and we just kind of pass by that kind of thing, especially in this neighborhood.”

The all-weather boots were originally priced at $100, but Cano offered to let the officer use his employee discount. DePrimo paid a little over $75 for the homeless man to keep his feet warm, according to the Times.

jimnyc
11-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I saw the picture earlier and wondered if it was a real photo or not, I guess so. Definitely very admirable. Most people don't give the homeless a second thought.

Kathianne
11-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I saw the picture earlier and wondered if it was a real photo or not, I guess so. Definitely very admirable. Most people don't give the homeless a second thought.

I think I wrote about this at the time, but willing to give it a second go.

A few years ago, my family: my kids, significant others, my brother and SIL, their kids and wife, and significant others were all doing a walk for 'brain tumors' for my nephew. After that ended, successfully, with several contributions from members of this site, the family were leaving lake front to enjoy dinner.

We're (about 15 of us), walking down Michigan Ave when the SIL breaks off and starts talking to this guy sitting on ground. He swings at her, she keeps talking. By now my brother notices and pushes his wife back. He's pissed at wife, but trying to calm the man down.

We finally hear him say, "I'll buy you a meal, but I won't give you money. If you want to eat, I'll feed you." This was by Houlihan's so my brother caught a waiter and said, "Give this man a Cheeseburger Deluxe, 'asked the man, coffee or soda?' Soda, give him a large soda. How much? Gave the waiter a $20 and said, don't give him the change." We went on from there.

This cop did the same, gave him boots and socks, probably a prayer.

11-29-2012, 10:38 PM
It's good to see people ministering to the needs of their neighbors.

taft2012
11-30-2012, 07:19 AM
I worked the same part of town when I was this cop's age. Spent 9 years there.

Yeah, this does show a nice heart, but it also shows this officer is a rookie and has a lot to learn.

I can tell you exactly what's going on here. Why is it that you always see these panhandlers with no shoes or coats sitting down on the sidewalk slouched against a building? I mean, they have to get up and walk around eventually, don't they? So why don't you see shoeless and coatless panhandlers walking around?

A cop stands on the street for 8 hours in mid-Manhattan. We do not catch passing glimpses of these people as we run from place to place. We watch them all day long.

These guys hide their shoes and coats someplace nearby and hobble a few steps to their panhandling spots. It's an old story and the cops back in the station house are no doubt riding this rookie for getting scammed.

It makes a nice news story for a day, but by tomorrow we'll once again be the "jack-booted racist thugs violating civil rights blah blah blah"

taft2012
12-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Update, as I predicted.

www.nydailynews.com/new-york/homeless-man-boots-shoeless-article-1.1212149

Homeless man given pair of boots by kind-hearted beat cop is seen wandering the streets shoeless 'Those shoes are hidden,' 54-year-old Jeffrey Hillman told The New York Times after he was spotted walking around with no shoes on Broadway near W. 79th St.

red states rule
12-04-2012, 04:18 AM
No good deed goes unpunished
The New York City homeless man – whose gift of boots from an NYPD police officer became an online sensation last week – is back on the streets with no shoes.The New York Times found him (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/nyregion/barefoot-homeless-man-says-hes-grateful-for-boots.html?_r=1&) Sunday night wandering barefoot in Manhattan. The paper identified him as Jeffrey Hillman, formerly of South Plainfield, N.J.
Asked about the $100 all-weather boots Officer Larry DePrimo gave him (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/let-this-viral-picture-of-an-nypd-cop-giving-a-homeless-man-winter-boots-restore-your-faith-in-humanity/) on Nov. 14, Hillman says he’s hidden them because “they are worth a lot of money.”
He says he’s grateful for the gift, but he wants “a piece of the pie” because the photo was posted online “without permission.”
“I was put on YouTube, I was put on everything without permission,” he added. “What do I get?”
Still, he was grateful.
“I appreciate what the officer did, don’t get me wrong,” he said. “I wish there were more people like him in the world.”
“I want to thank everyone that got onto this thing,” he continued to the Times. “I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart. It meant a lot to me. And to the officer, first and foremost.” http://www.theblaze.com/stories/homeless-man-behind-viral-nypd-photo-now-shoeless-again-demanding-piece-of-the-pie/

taft2012
12-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Yes, I updated this story here on the original thread yesterday.

As I said in the original thread.... these guys hide their shoes and coats to be more effective panhandlers.

Like Rush Limbaugh, I am documented to be correct 98.2% of the time.

aboutime
12-04-2012, 09:23 AM

As I said in the original thread.... these guys hide their shoes and coats to be more effective panhandlers.

taft. Thanks for the update. Like me. I seriously believe most of us hoped what took place...was as it was advertised and just a generous gesture by the Rookie cop.
Unfortunately, all of us have seen the miserable, dishonorable side of society so many times. We were all just wishing for a GOOD STORY FOR A CHANGE.

That man may have made a fool out of the young officer. But now. The shoe man actually demonstrates how the word BETRAYAL can apply to almost every facet of our growing SELFISH, DISHONEST SOCIETY.
You nailed it at the beginning. I salute you for that.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-04-2012, 10:44 AM
taft. Thanks for the update. Like me. I seriously believe most of us hoped what took place...was as it was advertised and just a generous gesture by the Rookie cop.
Unfortunately, all of us have seen the miserable, dishonorable side of society so many times. We were all just wishing for a GOOD STORY FOR A CHANGE.

That man may have made a fool out of the young officer. But now. The shoe man actually demonstrates how the word BETRAYAL can apply to almost every facet of our growing SELFISH, DISHONEST SOCIETY.
You nailed it at the beginning. I salute you for that.

Being jaded often has a good foundation. I've seen a lot in my life and some of it was other people being lousy wicked bastards. The officer is still to be praised for his kindness but it may have been given to the wrong person.
We still need to praise such kindness WHEN GIVEN regardless of the outcome IMHO.

taft2012
12-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Believe me, I wish more heart-warming stories were out there.

This doesn't stop with the "homeless" (btw, it also turned out bootman wasn't even homeless. He has an apartment in the Bronx).

Go into any public housing development and you'll find all the latest luxuries and electronic gizmos. The "poor" in NYC are up-to-date on all the latest gadgetry.

Why are housing developments wired for cable and satellite television, and high-speed internet? Why are there even parking lots... if taxpayers have to subsidize their rent should they even have enough money to own a car?

There's lots more out there to repulse you. The surface hasn't even been scratched yet.

tailfins
12-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Believe me, I wish more heart-warming stories were out there.

This doesn't stop with the "homeless" (btw, it also turned out bootman wasn't even homeless. He has an apartment in the Bronx).

Go into any public housing development and you'll find all the latest luxuries and electronic gizmos. The "poor" in NYC are up-to-date on all the latest gadgetry.

Why are housing developments wired for cable and satellite television, and high-speed internet? Why are there even parking lots... if taxpayers have to subsidize their rent should they even have enough money to own a car?

There's lots more out there to repulse you. The surface hasn't even been scratched yet.

I saw an interview with this guy's brother. He may not be homeless, but has serious mental illness. He doesn't appear to be a scammer. I don't even have a problem with the housing development, but rather WHO gets them. Help really isn't available for people that need help for a few months so that a food and shelter crisis doesn't distract from a job search. Instead the housing developments go to people that artfully avoid a job for years. There are years long waiting lists causing the housing to go to those committed to and make a concentrated effort to stay "poor".

gabosaurus
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I saw an interview with this guy's brother. He may not be homeless, but has serious mental illness. He doesn't appear to be a scammer. I don't even have a problem with the housing development, but rather WHO gets them. Help really isn't available for people that need help for a few months so that a food and shelter crisis doesn't distract from a job search. Instead the housing developments go to people that artfully avoid a job for years. There are years long waiting lists causing the housing to go to those committed to and make a concentrated effort to stay "poor".

Very good point. Perhaps doubters should read the complete story instead of a skewer from some right-wing web site.
The man was very appreciative of the boots. But he told a reporter that he is hiding them because, in the streets, people can be killed for their possessions. If you are wearing nice clothes, it is not uncommon to be killed while you sleep.

The street person in question have loving relatives who would gladly open their homes to him. But, as tailfins stated, the man is mentally ill and is "living the life that he has chosen."
Food and shelter is good for those who can navigate the system well enough to get the help. But if you are mentally ill or have no resources, you aren't going to be part of that group.

red states rule
12-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Very good point. Perhaps doubters should read the complete story instead of a skewer from some right-wing web site.
The man was very appreciative of the boots. But he told a reporter that he is hiding them because, in the streets, people can be killed for their possessions. If you are wearing nice clothes, it is not uncommon to be killed while you sleep.

The street person in question have loving relatives who would gladly open their homes to him. But, as tailfins stated, the man is mentally ill and is "living the life that he has chosen."
Food and shelter is good for those who can navigate the system well enough to get the help. But if you are mentally ill or have no resources, you aren't going to be part of that group.

Gabby, anyone asks me for a handout I will tell them to go see Obama (or you) It is clear the kind and god hearted Police Officer was scammed. This guy is the perfect example of what I have said since the election. The TAKERS now outnumber the producers. and people like you continue to "feed" them with my money. The guy has family ready to help him; he refuses the help; and you continue to make excused for him.

taft2012
12-06-2012, 06:38 AM
he is hiding them because, in the streets, people can be killed for their possessions. If you are wearing nice clothes, it is not uncommon to be killed while you sleep.

Really? "Not uncommon"?

I can certainly see how they can get stolen while you're sleeping, but getting killed for shoes while sleeping is "not uncommon"? 25 years law enforcement experience in the city and I can't recall a single story like that. I'm not saying it's impossible to happen but it's certainly not "common."

More likely explanation: Who is going to give you a few bucks when you're panhandling in a brand new pair of $100 all-weather boots?

aboutime
12-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Really? "Not uncommon"?

I can certainly see how they can get stolen while you're sleeping, but getting killed for shoes while sleeping is "not uncommon"? 25 years law enforcement experience in the city and I can't recall a single story like that. I'm not saying it's impossible to happen but it's certainly not "common."

More likely explanation: Who is going to give you a few bucks when you're panhandling in a brand new pair of $100 all-weather boots?

taft. We must remember. So many Americans get their Law Enforcement Training, and Education from "LAW AND ORDER" and "NCIS".

Everyone who watches enough tv knows. "It's not Uncommon for people to be killed on the Streets of NYC every day. Because the Writers, Directors, Producers, and Actors of the various versions of LAW AND ORDER...say so.

Abbey Marie
12-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Threads merged.

Robert A Whit
12-06-2012, 01:25 PM
My deceased brother panhandled.

His scam was to piss off his employeer, maybe by abusing their trucks he was paid to drive, or dick off and show up late to deliver or pick up, but always hunting for women at truck stops and so forth, but when he got fired, he would take his wife and a couple of their kids and with a hand lettered sign go to shopping areas. There with his wife and kids he could collect hundreds of dollars at a time. He used to call me on the phone and explain how he and other panhandlers passed along tips of the trade to each other.

Done right, pan handling pays a lot. I applaud the officers intentions. But all in all, it was the officer who was the victim of the scam. I had also learned he was not homeless and hiding his shoes and socks was part of his gig.