PDA

View Full Version : Senate Dems defend administration's right to take guns away from veterans

jimnyc
12-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Being that it's a constitutional right, I agree that only a court of law should be able to revoke such rights.

A major defense-spending bill hit an unexpected bump on its journey through the U.S. Senate over an amendment on veterans’ gun rights, which devolved into a heated floor debate and foreshadows a potential battle over Democrats’ vows to tweak the filibuster rules in the clubby, traditionally collegial body.

Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, wants veterans who have been deemed “mentally incompetent” to have their cases adjudicated by a judge — rather than the Department of Veterans Affairs, as happens currently — and argued that veterans who simply cannot support themselves financially are needlessly given the label and, as such, cannot buy or possess firearms.

“We’re not asking for anything big,” Mr. Coburn said Thursday evening on the Senate floor. “We’re just saying that if you’re going to take away the Second Amendment rights … they ought to have it adjudicated, rather than mandated by someone who’s unqualified to state that they should lose their rights.”

The late-night tussle served to pick at the scab of the ongoing debate over Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s bid to reform the chamber’s filibuster rules to place limits on the minority party’s ability to hold up debate on legislation, however.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/3/change-on-veterans-gun-rights-lights-fire/?page=all#pagebreak

Jbird
12-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Being that it's a constitutional right, I agree that only a court of law should be able to revoke such rights.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/3/change-on-veterans-gun-rights-lights-fire/?page=all#pagebreakKnew this one was comming, Military family member said that solidiers aren't getting treatment for ptsd when they get back for the fear of them being deemed mentaly incompetant to have a fire arm. That was a while ago, Just wait till March 18,2013.

Larrymc
12-04-2012, 02:21 PM

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/3/change-on-veterans-gun-rights-lights-fire/?page=all#pagebreak this is a tough one, taking gun rights, especially from someone who has served this Country is serious, one concern i would have with courts, is time how long will someones rights be held in limbo??

fj1200
12-04-2012, 03:04 PM

What's the current process when applying for a CCW?

jimnyc
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
What's the current process when applying for a CCW?

It's based on the laws and requirements of the particular state.

aboutime
12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
this is a tough one, taking gun rights, especially from someone who has served this Country is serious, one concern i would have with courts, is time how long will someones rights be held in limbo??

Larrymc. This is nothing more than another method the Lib, anti-gun, anti-2nd amendment idiots will try to eventually take guns from everybody.

Thankfully. If those Politicians have an ounce of Honor, or Truthfulness in their tiny minds. They will follow, and use the very same Constitution they raised their hand to Defend, when taking their Oath.
If they violate the constitution. They are violating, and making their Oath IRRELEVANT as well.

fj1200
12-05-2012, 08:12 AM
It's based on the laws and requirements of the particular state.

But not adjudicated that I'm aware of.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-05-2012, 10:01 AM

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/3/change-on-veterans-gun-rights-lights-fire/?page=all#pagebreak

Yet again the dem party seeks to deny Americans one of their Constitutional rights! Always libs,leftists, dems and cowardly scum that attempt this.--Tyr

aboutime
12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Yet again the dem party seeks to deny Americans one of their Constitutional rights! Always libs,leftists, dems and cowardly scum that attempt this.--Tyr

jimnyc: I do see Senator Coburns view. Not as a means of fighting the 2nd amendment, but rather, as a tool in SPECIAL CASES, based on the growing number of returning Veterans from Afghanistan, or other Hostile area's...generating the higher numbers of SUICIDES, and MURDER rates by Returning Veterans who have possible Mental Issues.

Of course. Knowing how the Obama white house, Holder, and his Constitutional Junkies react to the 2nd amendment, and guns. Does anyone think they would apply as much pressure to the Mayor of Chicago...who now boasts the HIGH GUN MURDER RATE in the WINDY, LIBERAL CITY???