PDA

View Full Version : GOP Revolt Within Itself

Kathianne
12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Don't know if this is going to be good or bad. It's going to be noted though:

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=FA7075E4-D5B1-4D7B-B85C-9603A2FBE5D9

<tbody>
http://images.politico.com/global/v3/homelogo.gif (http://www.politico.com/)

Conservative groups rebel against John Boehner
By: Jake Sherman and John Bresnahan
December 3, 2012 09:14 PM EST

Several prominent conservative organizations lashed out against a pair of decisions by Speaker John Boehner (http://www.politico.com/p/pages/john-boehner)’s leadership team as House Republicans saw their tightly held grip on the right loosen a bit on Monday.

Heritage Action, long a thorn in the side of the House Republican leadership, told its members in an email that Boehner was asking his “members to go back on their promise not to raise taxes on the American people” by putting $800 billion in new revenue into the mix of the negotiations to avert the fiscal cliff (http://www.politico.com/p/pages/fiscal-cliff).

And Club for Growth, a longtime small-government group, said Reps. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.), Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) and Justin Amash (R-Mich.) were “free of the last remnants of establishment leverage against them” after they were booted from their committees by the House Republican Steering Committee for crossing leadership too often.

Club for Growth is promising the most potent political weapon — cash — to support the trio.

It doesn’t stop there. FreedomWorks, which was founded by former House Republican Leader Dick Armey, called the move to boot conservatives off certain committees a “remarkably hostile act by leadership.”

“FreedomWorks is urging all members to call Speaker of the House John Boehner’s office and urge him to stop the fiscal conservative purge,” FreedomWorks President Matt Kibbe said in a statement. “The enemies of fiscal sanity are tax-and-spend politicians, not public servants willing to say ‘enough is enough.’”

Erick Erickson’s popular RedState blog was the harshest.

In a Tuesday morning post, Erickson, the blog’s proprietor wrote under the headline, “I Am Thankful for John Boehner, Eric Cantor, and Kevin McCarthy” that the the opposition is not just across the aisle, but in charge of our own side in the House of Representatives.” He was peeved about both Boehner’s offer to Obama and the committee purge.

Erickson wrote: “All the time and energy I would otherwise have to spend to convince conservatives that these gentlemen would be a problem for the GOP has been spared. They’ve proven it themselves.”

Another banner headline on his homepage was a white flag of surrender below the headline “The Boehner Fiscal Offer.”

“Here are two things to keep in mind with regards to Boehner’s budget offer,” Daniel Horowitz wrote on RedState. “First, when you begin negotiations agreeing to 60% of the demands of the other side and fail to offer a bold contrast on the other 40%, you are headed for an outcome that is 80-90% favorable to your opponent. Second, when you need to outsource your budget plan and entire view of government to Democrat Erskine Bowles, you are relegating yourself and your party to irrelevancy.”

Boehner, Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) have worked assiduously to keep conservative groups on the outside in line as they try to strike a massive deal to keep taxes low on all Americans and avoid spending cuts to the Pentagon and other domestic programs.

The traditional right — The Wall Street Journal editorial page, National Review, Fox News and business-friendly analysts on CNBC — have been lockstep in line with Boehner, the result of careful outreach by leadership staff.

But now, top House leaders suddenly find themselves under fire from entities with enormous sway in GOP politics. And the groups are not mincing words.

Heritage Action accused Boehner of trying to find “creative ways to fund” President Barack Obama’s “big-government agenda.” The group also compared Boehner with someone who notoriously broke his no-tax pledge: the nation’s 41st president.

“In 1990, President George H.W. Bush broke his solemn pledge: ‘read my lips: no new taxes,’” Heritage Action wrote in the email to supporters. “It cost him the election. In more than 20 years since, congressional Republicans have avoided making the same mistake. And now, as our nation’s economy is struggling to produce growth, our leaders in Congress are about to make precisely the wrong decision.”

On Monday, in a closed meeting, House Republicans booted Amash, Schweikert, Huelskamp and Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.) from plum committee assignments. Retribution for members who voted against Boehner’s team was long discussed in leadership circles. It was low-risk for Boehner — he went after three freshman and Jones, who has long been a pariah in the House Republican establishment.

Huelskamp, who lost his seat on the Budget Committee, was particularly stung. The budget is his main issue, and he sent a blistering statement Monday evening, saying “the GOP leadership might think they have silenced conservatives, but removing me and others from key committees only confirms our conservative convictions.”

“This is clearly a vindictive move, and a sure sign that the GOP establishment cannot handle disagreement,” Huelskamp said.

</tbody>

Robert A Whit
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Don't know if this is going to be good or bad. It's going to be noted though:

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=FA7075E4-D5B1-4D7B-B85C-9603A2FBE5D9

Ah yes, Politico or in other words, notes to Obama. With their help, they won't need the msm.

Kathianne
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Ah yes, Politico or in other words, notes to Obama. With their help, they won't need the msm.

Ah yes, didn't read it. Cool to be you, knocking everyone down.

revelarts
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
for 25 yearsssss I've been voting/waiting for the republicans to follow through on small gov't, less taxes, fix the deficit promises.

I'm realllly beginning to think they are not serious.

Still waiting on those pro-life laws/amendment too.

Makes ya wonder if we just vote so they can TALK ABOUT small gov't, family values and the Constitution on TV for entertainment value. cause it's sure not making it into law.

Kathianne
12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
for 25 yearsssss I've been voting/waiting for the republicans to follow through on small gov't, less taxes, fix the deficit promises.

Makes ya wonder if we just vote so they can TALK ABOUT small gov't, family values and the Constitution on TV for entertainment value. cause it's sure not making it into law.

Well it seems the Obamameister may be bringing that fight to the forefront. We'll wait.

Robert A Whit
12-04-2012, 10:24 PM

Kat thinks of herself as a poor widdle victim and pretends that the comment above knocked her down. LOL

Robert A Whit
12-04-2012, 10:37 PM

Enough government is just the right amount to do the tasks set forth in the US constitution.

Government is there to make sure laws are properly made and executed.

Kathianne
12-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Kat thinks of herself as a poor widdle victim and pretends that the comment above knocked her down. LOL

Huh? You may be confusing pm's with reality.

12-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't know who to trust half the time in politics anymore. Im not even sure I trust my own decisions

gabosaurus
12-05-2012, 12:12 AM
A failed structure is best torn down and rebuilt than continually patched up until it collapses under its own dead weight.

Robert A Whit
12-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Huh? You may be confusing pm's with reality.

Translate please?

Robert A Whit
12-05-2012, 12:43 AM
A failed structure is best torn down and rebuilt than continually patched up until it collapses under its own dead weight.

Yes, that is why we must scrap the income tax system and go to a national sales tax as detailed in the fine book called FAIR TAX.

Cspan has a fine program right now that discusses eliminating the income tax. (changing the tax code) I am sure it is on the video library since it happened today.

By the way, all Government does when it fails to collect one way is to invent other ways to tax.

Sen. Judd Greg told about how it works for New Hampshire and as some may know, that state has no sales nor income tax. And many times democrats have tried to get both taxes into state law. Other neighboring states also had none of them but changed. Since those changed, the well is opened and now they have staggering spending and staggering taxes.

Seems to me one can't trust government.

red states rule
12-05-2012, 02:15 AM

Yea like the Dems War on Poverty and Obama's economic policies such as 99 weeks of unemployment and more "stimulus"

red states rule
12-05-2012, 03:30 AM

I am afraid it is going to end as it always does Rev
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/aria_c10544220121202120100.jpg

fj1200
12-05-2012, 08:29 AM

You're a secessionist? Who knew?

aboutime
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Yea like the Dems War on Poverty and Obama's economic policies such as 99 weeks of unemployment and more "stimulus"

Better yet. Like the Dems promises from 1964, and the LBJ "GREAT SOCIETY" he told Black Americans to be patient, and wait for.

Here we are. Approaching 2013. And that GREAT SOCIETY is still being Waited On by the very same Black Americans who also believed Obama when he said HOPE, and CHANGE.

red states rule
12-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Better yet. Like the Dems promises from 1964, and the LBJ "GREAT SOCIETY" he told Black Americans to be patient, and wait for.

Here we are. Approaching 2013. And that GREAT SOCIETY is still being Waited On by the very same Black Americans who also believed Obama when he said HOPE, and CHANGE.

Don't forget it was LBJ who set the precedent to use Social Security funds to pay for the War of Poverty and ever since those funds have been used to mask the REAL annual budget deficit. Meanwhile government dependence has grown along with the debt and deficit - and yet we are told that merely by raising taxes on the top 2% everything will be fine.