PDA

View Full Version : Those F'ing Low Information Voters

Kathianne
12-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Seriously, whether from right or left, I hate them. These are on the left:

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/12/03/polls-nation-that-re-elected-obama-wants-more-spending-cuts-than-tax-hikes-still-hates-obamacare/

Polls: Nation that re-elected Obama wants more spending cuts than tax hikes, still hates Obamacare posted at 7:41 pm on December 3, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Look, I don’t even know anymore. I’m just gonna put these out there for you as yet another indication of how tough getting anywhere close to solving our deficit and debt problems is. It’s a nice complement to the latest in the fiscal cliff saga, in which allegedly intractable,
unreasonable Republicans offer a Simpson-Bowles-like compromise (http://hotair.com/archives/2012/12/03/boehner-counterpunches-obamas-cliff-offer/) that might actually come within a couple ballparks of acknowledging our debt problems while Democrats seem rather enthusiastic about cliff-diving (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/03/do-democrats-want-to-go-over-the-fiscal-cliff/) and yet the press and public are determined to blame Republicans for going over.

Let’s see if that can change in the near future. Presumably it should if the press reports that a realistic compromise is on the table that— hey, looky here— aligns with the public’s and the press’ professed desires, but early signs show it’s being treated unseriously in the press. Heck, even a plurality of Obama voters want the deficit dealt with by making more spending cuts than tax hikes:

(http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=AFB97D18-DF86-41DC-9953-717381AA05A8)

A survey of 800 Obama voters, conducted last month by Benenson Strategy Group for the moderate Democratic think tank Third Way and shared first with POLITICO, finds that 96 percent believe the federal deficit is a problem and that 85 percent support increasing taxes on the wealthy.

Yet 41 percent who supported the Democratic incumbent want to get control of the deficit mostly by cutting spending, with only some tax increases, while another 41 percent want to solve it mostly with tax increases and only some spending cuts.

Just 5 percent of Obama supporters favor tax increases alone to solve the deficit, half the number who back an approach that relies entirely on spending cuts.

Too bad they all voted for the man who’s offering a rather more unbalanced approach than Republicans. And, you read that right— double the number of Obama supporters want to deal with the deficit entirely by cutting spending than want to do it entirely by raising taxes.
In other news, voters still hate ObamaCare, especially independents:

(http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-s-coattails-didn-t-extend-obamacare_664424.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Meanwhile, according to polling by CNN, registered voters oppose Obamacare by a margin of 10 points — 52 to 42 percent. Independents like Obamacare even less, opposing it by a margin of 22 points — 57 to 35 percent. Clearly, voters didn’t think they were ratifying Obamacare when they pulled the lever for Obama.

And, finally, “[f]or the first time in Gallup trends since 2000, a majority of Americans say it is not the federal government’s responsibility to make sure all Americans have healthcare coverage.” Okay. (http://www.gallup.com/poll/158966/majority-against-gov-healthcare-guarantee.aspx)

The shift away from the view that the government should ensure healthcare coverage for all began shortly after President Barack Obama’s election and has continued the past several years during the discussions and ultimate passage of the Affordable Care Act in March 2010. Americans are divided on that legislation today — 48% approve and 45% disapprove — as they have been over the last several years.

Republicans, including Republican-leaning independents, are mostly responsible for the drop since 2007 in Americans’ support for government ensuring universal health coverage. In 2007, 38% of Republicans thought the government should do so; now, 12% do. Among Democrats and Democratic leaners there has been a much smaller drop, from 81% saying the government should make sure all Americans are covered in 2007 to 71% now.

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Gallup-healthcare-e1354576122106.png

A warning for Democrats prepared to use ObamaCare’s upcoming failures as a rationale for single-payer:

One thing that has not changed is that Americans still widely prefer a system based on private insurance to one run by the government. Currently, 57% prefer a private system and 36% a government-run system, essentially the same as in 2010 and 2011. Prior to the passage of the Affordable Care Act in 2010, the percentage of Americans in favor of a government-run system ranged from 32% to 41%.

Another redemptive data point for those who say nominating the one guy who couldn’t effectively argue against ObamaCare was a mistake. For the record, I agreed with that assessment, but also was unconvinced others didn’t have equal liabilities.

As the conventional wisdom has it, we are a nation divided— perhaps into multiple personalities.

red states rule
12-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Rush talked about this on his show yesterday Kat
RUSH: Okay, folks, I'm gonna tell you what happened. I'm gonna tell you what happened. It's all starting to make sense at me now. We all know that Obama has built up a cult-like following, and it consists of people who don't care what he stands for. It doesn't matter. There are people who are voting for him because he's the first black president, and they voted for him 'cause he was historic and then reelected him on the same basis.
There's all this polling data which shows that even some of his voters, though, disagree with what he's done. Yet they still vote for him. And I'll tell you what this proves. He builds up this cult-like following as this messianic figure. I mean, kids in these schools are singing Obama songs. And what did the Republicans do? I will remind you. I'm not gonna mention any names because they all thought the same thing. It doesn't matter.
A Republican governor who was thinking of getting in the race -- he did get into the race, for a while -- came to my humble abode to take my temperature on his candidacy. Of course, I just listen at these things. He said to me, "Rush, we cannot go after Obama personally. All we can do is go after his policies," and that became the rule. I mean, from Romney to every other Republican candidate.
"You know, he's a nice guy. He's just in over his head. He's a nice guy; he just doesn't know what he's doing. He's nice guy." But he's not a nice guy. We didn't tell people who he is because we were afraid of the racist charge. Well, none of this "we" business because I'm not afraid of it. But the Republicans were. They were afraid of it, and they didn't say it. No Republican made any effort whatsoever to tell people who he is ideologically or anything about his history.
He got away with it. He's the only president in this country who's never been vetted by the media. To this day, there's nothing known about this guy. Other than the cult-like figure characteristics that have been associated with him. Now, the Republicans listening say, "Well, yeah, Rush. Look at how much we're disliked and how much they would have hated us even more if we would have attacked Obama." It's not attacking! It's explaining!
We're dealing with a hard-core leftist.
It was made to order.
We ought to have been able to explain who Obama is in our sleep to people because it's exactly what and who we oppose. But no, what did we do? "He's a nice guy! He's a wonderful family man; a great, great guy! He just happens to be wrong. He's given it his best shot but, you know, his ideas didn't work." Well, what did that do? All that confirmed for the people who look at him as a cult figure is he's a great guy, which is all that matters to people that look at people as a cult figure!
"He's a cult figure. He's a great guy."
That's all they needed.
Everything else was irrelevant. http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/12/04/did_obama_voters_know_what_they_voted_for