PDA

View Full Version : Arrested 4 firing warning shots near gang of 20+

revelarts
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/

Man Arrested For Defending His PropertyTim Shoemaker
Campaign for Liberty (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=38188)
September 9, 2010

In Long Island, George Grier was arrested (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/) for firing an AK-47 into his lawn to deter approaching gang members who were threatening his life and that of his family.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.
Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.
“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.
Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.
“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment – requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.
Grier said he knew the police use “Shotspotter” technology, and by firing the warning shots into the ground, police would arrive within minutes.
Fresh food that lasts from eFoods Direct (Ad) (http://www.efoodsdirect.com//index.html?aid=13&adid=43)

The real issue here is whether or not a man owns his property (Editor’s Note: or his wife & child’s very lives) and if he does, shouldn’t he be able to defend that property with deadly force if necessary? A man’s/woman’s home is his/her castle. They ought to be able to defend such by whatever means are reasonably necessary.
The article doesn’t state what happened to the gang after he fired the warning shots. My guess is they scattered pretty quick once they realized Grier was holding a loaded “peacemaker.”

DragonStryk72
12-05-2012, 12:17 PM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/

In general, I'm in favor of not punishing people for firing warning shots into their own lawn to scatter a group that is actually coming to kill them.

As to "reckless endangerment", well by what the cops are trying to make it mean, every single police officer who has ever fired a shot is guilty, then. That's the precedent that's being set with this, that firing your weapon at all is reckless, no matter how much control, responsibility, and respect for life you show. The man not only cared about human life, he considered it enough that he chose to fire non-lethally to give them the chance to walk away without further issue.

There was no "recklessness" to it, and it was very plain that the goal was to endanger the fewest possible lives, even the lives of people who were trying to kill him and his family.

Marcus Aurelius
12-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I agree he was probably within his rights. However, had he waited until a weapon was produced, or more specific threats were made, he'd not have been arrested.

Gaffer
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Okay, got it figured out. This is in NY. White guy with AK, a gang of black gangsters are threatening him. He fires warning shots and gets arrested for defending himself. About par for NY.

jafar00
12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I think I'm beginning to understand gun rights advocates. If it is that dangerous to live in the USA, I'd have a bit of an arsenal myself. This is crazy!

jimnyc
12-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I think I'm beginning to understand gun rights advocates. If it is that dangerous to live in the USA, I'd have a bit of an arsenal myself. This is crazy!

It's not that dangerous, just a few portions. But as you can see, regardless of the charges, the man may have saved his own life by having a gun.

Abbey Marie
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Don't you feel like there must be more to this story? Why were these gang members in his driveway? Was there a prior incident? Did the man instigate something? With the facts we are given, IMO, the wrong person was arrested. If the police cannot control gangs, we have to protect ourselves.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I agree he was probably within his rights. However, had he waited until a weapon was produced, or more specific threats were made, he'd not have been arrested.

With 20 to 1 odds against him the threat was already there .. Its too late to wait until after one is hit because by then its possible to be disarmed and murdered. He fired a warning shot to save lives IMHO but got arrested for it.
Ok, I know of another incident where SOMETHING similiar happened and the good guy got arrested in that case as well. Back in the late 70's my younger brother's friend Randy was drunk and got tossed out of a local bar in our hometown. About 45 minutes later my brother saw Randy about to enter the bar with a weapon in hand and so he ran over, took the gun away after a struggle , fired that single shot shotgun it into te air to make sure it was empty and couldnt be fired on the bar owner. Cops arrived about ten minutes later and even after hearing the entire story arrested my younger brother, forced him to bond out of jail and when court day a week later came, forced him to pay a fine! No thank you, quick thinking -good job possibly saving a life , only idiotcy and injustice. My younger brother told the cops after paying his fine , next time I'll let the crazy bastard go ahead and shoot whomever he wants and I hope its one of you idiots that he is pissed off at !-Tyr

Robert A Whit
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I love this forum. Seems we agree the guy had the right to defend himself and his property. Wait, he shot his property. LOL

He must know his own neighborhood and what happens there. Gangs do not make a man. It is but a mob.

I do approve he defended himself though.