PDA

View Full Version : Church Calls Off ‘Charlie Brown’ Christmas Show Amid Controversy

jimnyc
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Such a shame that many children will have an expected treat taken away from them due to whiners. Those complaining should have kept their child home that day with an exemption from the school.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (CBS Charlotte) - A church caught at the center of a controversy regarding a school trip to see their production of “Merry Christmas Charlie Brown” has decided to cancel the show.

The Agape Church in Little Rock, which had initially intended to present the show to school children on Dec. 14, released a statement to KATV regarding their decision, signed by Pastor Happy Caldwell.

“[B]ecause of what this issue has become, as a church, it is not our desire to put hard-working, sacrificial teachers and cast members in harm’s way,” the release stated.

Instead of matinees for school children, a public performance will be offered at the church on Dec. 15.

The trouble reportedly stemmed from an invitation to first and second grade students at Terry Elementary School to see the Christmas production.

“Merry Christmas Charlie Brown” is the stage adaptation of the classic 1965 Peanuts cartoon, “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” The source material includes a retelling of the Nativity story from the Gospel of Luke, which is told by the character Linus in an iconic scene from the movie.

A parent who felt the trip was inappropriate reached out to the ASF to voice her concern with the show’s religious connotations, which reportedly differed from her own, the station learned.

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/church-calls-off-charlie-brown-christmas-show-amid-controversy/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Such a shame that many children will have an expected treat taken away from them due to whiners. Those complaining should have kept their child home that day with an exemption from the school.

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/church-calls-off-charlie-brown-christmas-show-amid-controversy/

More tyranny of the minority. We as a nation have chosen not to punish such actions, instead those actions are rewarded. These people that believe that their single right should nullify the majorities's rights are now fully backed by millions of public educated morons which seek only destruction .. My attitude is F-them all. Slap hell out of any of them if one gets a good chance.-Tyr

Larrymc
12-06-2012, 02:58 PM

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/church-calls-off-charlie-brown-christmas-show-amid-controversy/The founders stopped short of declaring us a Christian Nation, if they had it would have stopped most of the social and moral issue we have, yes as some say we might have been stuck in the 50s, but would that have been so bad considering were we are to day?? Just a Thought

DragonStryk72
12-06-2012, 04:05 PM
The founders stopped short of declaring us a Christian Nation, if they had it would have stopped most of the social and moral issue we have, yes as some say we might have been stuck in the 50s, but would that have been so bad considering were we are to day?? Just a Thought

Given McCarthyism? YES. The Founders stopped for good reason.

Now, that part said, I do agree with Jim that it was sad to see all the kids get punished cause a couple of parents decided they didn't want their child exposed to it. The same parents, btw, who let their kids watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special on television.... Yeah, it's that stupid.

Gaffer
12-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Now, that part said, I do agree with Jim that it was sad to see all the kids get punished cause a couple of parents decided they didn't want their child exposed to it. The same parents, btw, who let their kids watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special on television.... Yeah, it's that stupid.

McCarthy was right.

The people raising a stink are not atheists, they're communists pushing their agenda.

Larrymc
12-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Now, that part said, I do agree with Jim that it was sad to see all the kids get punished cause a couple of parents decided they didn't want their child exposed to it. The same parents, btw, who let their kids watch the Charlie Brown Christmas special on television.... Yeah, it's that stupid.so you don't see a correlation, between God and Christianity being forced out of the public and Government arenas, and decline in Traditional, Moral, and Family values, are do you just not care??

PostmodernProphet
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Charlie Brown is such a biblethumper.......

Kathianne
12-06-2012, 07:30 PM
This truly was a quandary, diffused by the church sponsoring the event, they took the schools out of it by canceling it.

It certainly is odd that a public school would sponsor a field trip to a church, with intent to see a play that speaks of only one religion. Mind you, I agree with the message, I'm just saying...

However, I'm old enough to remember when MLK jr was slain. The next evening my family went to a Protestant Church to mourn and recognize his sacrifices. (Yes, my parents marched for civil rights for all).

Later that week, as a school, in the auditorium, we had a service given by a black religious leader. It was all about how Christ didn't care about skin color, but about content of one's heart.

So, here I am 40 years later. Do I seem unduly prejudiced towards Christian dominance?

Larrymc
12-06-2012, 07:41 PM
This truly was a quandary, diffused by the church sponsoring the event, they took the schools out of it by canceling it.

It certainly is odd that a public school would sponsor a field trip to a church, with intent to see a play that speaks of only one religion. Mind you, I agree with the message, I'm just saying...

However, I'm old enough to remember when MLK jr was slain. The next evening my family went to a Protestant Church to mourn and recognize his sacrifices. (Yes, my parents marched for civil rights for all).

Later that week, as a school, in the auditorium, we had a service given by a black religious leader. It was all about how Christ didn't care about skin color, but about content of one's heart.

So, here I am 40 years later. Do I seem unduly prejudiced towards Christian dominance?If so your not alone,

Kathianne
12-06-2012, 07:49 PM
If so your not alone,

yet, I'm not.

while Christian myself, like those folks in the Maryland and Pennsylvanian colonies, I think we can manage without killing or even disrespecting one another.

Robert A Whit
12-06-2012, 08:54 PM

So, here I am 40 years later. Do I seem unduly prejudiced towards Christian dominance?

The play is still available on 12/15.

I don't understand why some parents think their kids will be harmed by Charlie Brown shows.

I recall that in the First Grade my grade school teacher told the class that we could attend a Catholic teaching class. I am trying to remember if it was on school grounds or nearby. I am not a Catholic and have never been harmed by going to Catholic services.

Kathianne
12-06-2012, 09:25 PM
The play is still available on 12/15.

I don't understand why some parents think their kids will be harmed by Charlie Brown shows.

I recall that in the First Grade my grade school teacher told the class that we could attend a Catholic teaching class. I am trying to remember if it was on school grounds or nearby. I am not a Catholic and have never been harmed by going to Catholic services.

and the 'message' from the original cartoon that is pretty hard to think that even 'the one person's' kid hasn't seen. It's iconic.

With that said, I can see a problem for the school and think it was chivalrous for the church to cancel the school invite service, making the other available to the community. I think the pastor did a great job in highlighting how the school district stood fast, in spite of problems. However, odds are they would have wound up in court. He saved them that.

DragonStryk72
12-06-2012, 10:24 PM
so you don't see a correlation, between God and Christianity being forced out of the public and Government arenas, and decline in Traditional, Moral, and Family values, are do you just not care??

Oh, there's a decline, but it's not because of a lack of Christ in the classrooms. Note that I agreed with Jim's point. The decline has occurred as a result of the government trying to strip away holding folks responsible for their own life choices. I went to Catholic school, and trust me, we had Jesus in the classroom. Didn't stop us from having a teen mom in our class, nor keep us really from too many other sins either.

The kid isn't "fat", he's got glandular condition. Nevermind that you ply him with junk food constantly, and won't let him take part in sports, oh no, it's glandular.:rolleyes:

Oh, it's not Timmy's fault he doesn't do his homework. He's ADD. Nevermind that no child wants to do homework, again, it must be the fault of ADD. I have ADD by the way, and had a bad habit of not doing my homework. Reason why? Because video games, non-school books, and my friends were more engaging.

The welfare state has robbed people of the necessary consequences of their poor actions. Not criminal actions, just poor ones. By getting rid of the ability to totally fail, we've actually gotten rid of the hard lessons that can turn people around as well. Sure, we do it in the name of charity, but it's like a guy who's laid up in a cast. If you do everything for him, the leg will never heal up properly, and they will reinforce their own helpless state. Same thing happens in the real world, religion or not.

Larrymc
12-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Oh, there's a decline, but it's not because of a lack of Christ in the classrooms. Note that I agreed with Jim's point. The decline has occurred as a result of the government trying to strip away holding folks responsible for their own life choices. I went to Catholic school, and trust me, we had Jesus in the classroom. Didn't stop us from having a teen mom in our class, nor keep us really from too many other sins either.

The kid isn't "fat", he's got glandular condition. Nevermind that you ply him with junk food constantly, and won't let him take part in sports, oh no, it's glandular.:rolleyes:

Oh, it's not Timmy's fault he doesn't do his homework. He's ADD. Nevermind that no child wants to do homework, again, it must be the fault of ADD. I have ADD by the way, and had a bad habit of not doing my homework. Reason why? Because video games, non-school books, and my friends were more engaging.

The welfare state has robbed people of the necessary consequences of their poor actions. Not criminal actions, just poor ones. By getting rid of the ability to totally fail, we've actually gotten rid of the hard lessons that can turn people around as well. Sure, we do it in the name of charity, but it's like a guy who's laid up in a cast. If you do everything for him, the leg will never heal up properly, and they will reinforce their own helpless state. Same thing happens in the real world, religion or not.i agree 100% with what the welfare state has done to people, no Christ in the class room is a result of removing even the mention of him or his teachings in Government and Public arenas, i know it upsets liberals and atheist, but because they use the Bible and its teaching in many areas, of the Government i don't think they ever intended for it to be left out

DragonStryk72
12-07-2012, 02:06 AM
i agree 100% with what the welfare state has done to people, no Christ in the class room is a result of removing even the mention of him or his teachings in Government and Public arenas, i know it upsets liberals and atheist, but because they use the Bible and its teaching in many areas, of the Government i don't think they ever intended for it to be left out

The problem is that, when you think about it, it's the government that's actually being offensive when you come down to it. Think about it for a minute: Imagine if they removed all mention of any religion aside from Christianity from government buildings and programs, all because they assume that you will be offended, and can't stand the presence of a menorah during Chanukah.

Wouldn't you feel like the government is telling you that you are just too weak to be able to deal with such things?

Back in the Navy, when I got told about my knees going, everyone fell into two basic camps: The guys who thought I was malingering, and the guys who treated me like an invalid. I know this is crazy, but I was more agitated by the guys treating me like an invalid, because at least the guys who thought I was faking it believed I was otherwise capable.

red states rule
12-07-2012, 03:19 AM
It is very telling that the "Free Thinkers" are so opposed to allowing children to learn the REAL meaning of Christmas. This is another example of liberal dumbing down our kids and teaching them that God is a topic that must not be discussed in public

red states rule
12-07-2012, 03:22 AM

Some people are scared to see this classic scene in A Charlie Brown Christmas Jim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CUO4AJKI5M8

Larrymc
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
The problem is that, when you think about it, it's the government that's actually being offensive when you come down to it. Think about it for a minute: Imagine if they removed all mention of any religion aside from Christianity from government buildings and programs, all because they assume that you will be offended, and can't stand the presence of a menorah during Chanukah.

Wouldn't you feel like the government is telling you that you are just too weak to be able to deal with such things?

Back in the Navy, when I got told about my knees going, everyone fell into two basic camps: The guys who thought I was malingering, and the guys who treated me like an invalid. I know this is crazy, but I was more agitated by the guys treating me like an invalid, because at least the guys who thought I was faking it believed I was otherwise capable.i am bias here i think the Bible and its teaching is the only religion that should influence Government in this country because, i think it is what has always made us different from other country's, and because this is America and you are free to express your religious believes, the Bible is the only one that teaches tolerance and love for all, now the immoral,atheist and deviants don't like it, but the issues they raise or not acceptable in most religions,