PDA

View Full Version : December 7th, 1941

jimnyc
12-07-2012, 12:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eAhOr.jpg

jimnyc
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
While the Japanese may have killed a few Americans that day, history shows it was a terrible mistake on their part.

Robert A Whit
12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
My American flag flew on the mast of the sunken Arizona battle ship. A Flag I cherish.

My deceased brother Jim was born that day. Jim died in NY City in 1983.

Robert A Whit
12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
My American flag flew on the mast of the sunken Arizona battle ship. A Flag I cherish. .

Visitors to Oahu going to Pearl Harbor can visit the museum where you may buy an American flag, (various sizes available) that flew on the mast of the sunken battleship Arizona. It is dated and certified to have flown as a specific time on that day. It is also advisable, assuming you want to take the boat to the ship, to the monument over the ship. to watch the film presentation. Also in the same area there is a WWII submarine you can go inside of in pristine condition. SF also has a submarine to visit, though not in quite as good condition as I recall it. SF sub is near pier 39.

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 07:53 PM
The WWII generation is leaving us. Dad died 8/24/07. I miss him every day. Second wave at Omaha Beach. Almost made it up the dune, not quite. Off to England to mend for 6 months, lots of funny stories he told about that time. In a safe place, no horrors, once he started to heal. None about the nightmares until I started asking as 'history teacher, when I was nearly 40 and he was over 75.'

Some memories. He had an impacted wisdom tooth, that made itself known, the day after the GI's were restricted to 'launching area.' Meaning, no dentists or meds. 2 weeks later, the tooth was a major issue, his face was swollen nearly 2X on one side. Then the date happened. When he awoke in England on 6/9, the tooth didn't bother him anymore. LOL! He had other issues, like saving his hand and half a buttock, and 1/4 of leg.

Yeah, they saved all and took out the tooth.

Gaffer
12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
My father was there. He was on guard duty on one of the ships and watched things get started that morning. He said there were ships as far as you could see and tons of aircraft flying over. He was in an armored unit so they didn't go in until the 7th.

aboutime
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
The most beautiful memory and Living U.S.NAVY sailor will ever have....happens when entering Pearl Harbor upon a Navy Ship, and rendering HONORS to the ARIZONA MEMORIAL, and all who still occupy the Oily waters from that Day.
If you have ever felt Goose bumps, and tears forming. That will do it.
If you ever get the opportunity to visit Hawaii. The One, most important place you SHOULD, and MUST go as an American is to the ARIZONA MEMORIAL.

It will change your life.

Robert A Whit
12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
The WWII generation is leaving us. Dad died 8/24/07. I miss him every day. Second wave at Omaha Beach. Almost made it up the dune, not quite. Off to England to mend for 6 months, lots of funny stories he told about that time. In a safe place, no horrors, once he started to heal. None about the nightmares until I started asking as 'history teacher, when I was nearly 40 and he was over 75.'

Some memories. He had an impacted wisdom tooth, that made itself known, the day after the GI's were restricted to 'launching area.' Meaning, no dentists or meds. 2 weeks later, the tooth was a major issue, his face was swollen nearly 2X on one side. Then the date happened. When he awoke in England on 6/9, the tooth didn't bother him anymore. LOL! He had other issues, like saving his hand and half a buttock, and 1/4 of leg.

Yeah, they saved all and took out the tooth.

And a lot of those men had no combat experience. Not that the Germans missed hitting combat veterns of course. I enjoy my movies called Band of Brothers. It is real stuff.

My three uncles were not in on that invasion. I think one was with Patton fighting in Africa and Sicily till Patton got fired. One was being trained to fight the Japanese in the pacific. One cooked for the Army Air force Officers. All are dead. None died in WWII. One died early in Korea and one I lost all contact with when he divorced my aunt. The last may not have been shot at in WWII but I suspect he was in Korea and in Vietnam.

Cherish your memories of your father as you clearly do. I am happy you told us about him.

Robert A Whit
12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
The most beautiful memory and Living U.S.NAVY sailor will ever have....happens when entering Pearl Harbor upon a Navy Ship, and rendering HONORS to the ARIZONA MEMORIAL, and all who still occupy the Oily waters from that Day.
If you have ever felt Goose bumps, and tears forming. That will do it.
If you ever get the opportunity to visit Hawaii. The One, most important place you SHOULD, and MUST go as an American is to the ARIZONA MEMORIAL.

It will change your life.

It took me until I was in my 60s to take the flight to see the islands of Hawaii. I agree. The site of the sunken ship really brings it home. Seeing the ship beneath the wates and the names of the crew reminds me of going to a cemetary. I advise those going to visit the museum as well. More than flags are sold there. I picked up a reprint of the paper telling of the attack and claiming very few killed. I expect that changed later.

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 08:28 PM
My father was there. He was on guard duty on one of the ships and watched things get started that morning. He said there were ships as far as you could see and tons of aircraft flying over. He was in an armored unit so they didn't go in until the 7th.

Indeed. My dad said that they'd been 'briefed' that the 'crazy' air guys would take out the the nests, the marines would mark the mines. The first, not so much, through no fault of their own; the second, they did. Problem was the nests kept firing on those going up the dunes.

The artillery my dad and another were pushing uphill, crossed the marker and hit a mine. My dad and one other were the sole survivors of his group. Dad ended up back at water's edge from impact. He wouldn't let the medic amputate his hand, so the medic stuck it in a pail of sulfa and went to the next casualty.

Long story, short.