PDA

View Full Version : The nurse in the UK who was duped, is now dead

jimnyc
12-08-2012, 12:06 PM
While Kate Middleton was in the hospital for severe morning sickness, 2 Australian DJ's called the hospital and tricked the nurse into transferring their call to her room, where another nurse updated them on her condition.

There is no cause of death yet and no indication that this was suicide. But people are growing more and more pissed.

What's the thoughts on radio DJ's and prank calls?

More on the story for those unaware: http://news.yahoo.com/nurse-died-kate-hoax-call-india-112732051.html

Nukeman
12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
While Kate Middleton was in the hospital for severe morning sickness, 2 Australian DJ's called the hospital and tricked the nurse into transferring their call to her room, where another nurse updated them on her condition.

There is no cause of death yet and no indication that this was suicide. But people are growing more and more pissed.

What's the thoughts on radio DJ's and prank calls?

More on the story for those unaware: http://news.yahoo.com/nurse-died-kate-hoax-call-india-112732051.htmlJust my 2 cents worth!! This woman obviously had ISSUES other than this. I mean come on she killed herself due to being duped by a couple of DJ's.. There is no crime n being mislead and to thin otherwise is wrong.

This person must have been having some serious problems for this to be the catalyst to send her over the edge.

All she did was pass a call through, its not like she took nude pics of her and posted them and got busted...

IMHO she had MAJOR issues and this really wasn't the fault of the DJ's!!!

Mr. P
12-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Just my 2 cents worth!! This woman obviously had ISSUES other than this. I mean come on she killed herself due to being duped by a couple of DJ's.. There is no crime n being mislead and to thin otherwise is wrong.

This person must have been having some serious problems for this to be the catalyst to send her over the edge.

All she did was pass a call through, its not like she took nude pics of her and posted them and got busted...

IMHO she had MAJOR issues and this really wasn't the fault of the DJ's!!!

What he said.

PostmodernProphet
12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
I disagree......it was certainly not outside the realm of possibilities that this woman would have been extremely embarrassed by being duped.......while the extent to which she reacted to that embarrassment is not their fault, it cannot be denied that they set her up to be ridiculed for their amusement.......not so far removed from the antics of schoolyard bullies pulling wedgies........and certainly publicized to the entire world instead of just a couple of dozen classmates.....

Drummond
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I disagree......it was certainly not outside the realm of possibilities that this woman would have been extremely embarrassed by being duped.......while the extent to which she reacted to that embarrassment is not their fault, it cannot be denied that they set her up to be ridiculed for their amusement.......not so far removed from the antics of schoolyard bullies pulling wedgies........and certainly publicized to the entire world instead of just a couple of dozen classmates.....

Yes .. I basically agree. Don't forget the notoriety she'd have faced had she lived on. Very possibly she'd have become unemployable in her chosen profession (a vocation, after all). She'd never have been entirely free of gossip and the like. It's not just embarrassment that would've been involved, but outright shame.

And for anyone interested, the British Press - so far as I can tell - aren't saying that there were other issues involved that led to her suicide. Our police are now taking an official interest in the pair of Australian hoaxers involved.

Abbey Marie
12-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Aren't we jumping to conclusions here? Perhaps I am wrong, but her death hasn't even been ruled a suicide yet, has it? People really need to clam down and wait for some facts to come out.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/national/nurses-death-prompts-alert-20121209-2b3ng.html

The former director of SANE Australia and board member of R U OK? said people with mental illnesses and those going through major life events, such as divorce, unemployment, or the loss of a loved one, were also at higher risk of suicide.
''Any reporting of suicide retraumatises people who have had those thoughts or feelings themselves or who have had family members who have,'' she said. ''There will be a lot of people struggling out there who are reading all about this. It is important for them to know that things will get better and that there are people who can help them.''
Adjunct associate professor in clinical psychology at the University of Canberra, Amanda Gordon, said it was highly likely that Ms Saldanha had other problems in her life because very few people commit suicide in response to one difficult issue that is likely to pass.
''If she had the opportunity to deal with whatever else it was, this may never have become such a terrible trigger for her,'' Professor Gordon said, adding that this was a reminder for people to look after each other.
For help call Suicide Helpline Victoria on 1300 651 251 or Lifeline on 131 114, or visit beyondblue.org.au

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/nurses-death-prompts-alert-20121209-2b3ng.html#ixzz2Ea3nh3mS

Drummond
12-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Aren't we jumping to conclusions here? Perhaps I am wrong, but her death hasn't even been ruled a suicide yet, has it? People really need to clam down and wait for some facts to come out.

I really don't think so. This following link leads to an article showing that suicide was involved. Note, also, that the same conclusion is reached that I offered .. namely, that outright shame was a factor, apparently THE chief factor involved ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245604/Jacintha-Saldanha-Hoaxed-nurse-died-shame-As-backlash-phone-prank-DJs-grows-brother-victim-says-sister-devastated.html

The family of the tragic nurse in the royal hospital hoax believe she died of shame.

Jacintha Saldanha’s brother Naveen told the Daily Mail that his devoutly Catholic sister was a ‘proper and righteous person’.

She would have been ‘devastated’ at unwittingly assisting a colleague in breaching medical confidentiality over the condition of the Duchess of Cambridge.

Abbey Marie
12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I really don't think so. This following link leads to an article showing that suicide was involved. Note, also, that the same conclusion is reached that I offered .. namely, that outright shame was a factor, apparently THE chief factor involved ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2245604/Jacintha-Saldanha-Hoaxed-nurse-died-shame-As-backlash-phone-prank-DJs-grows-brother-victim-says-sister-devastated.html

It may well be that is what happened, but first, this article came out today, and people have been concluding this for days. More importantly, I still see no evidence from the article that it was suicide. Just a grieving family making assumptions about their loved one's death.

I'll wait for the autopsy.

One other thing: Why would the hopsital have a woman answering the phone in such a private situation, when she was not a native English speaker?

PostmodernProphet
12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
One other thing: Why would the hopsital have a woman answering the phone in such a private situation, when she was not a native English speaker?

lol, you could say the same thing about most credit card companies, banks utility companies, etc........

Abbey Marie
12-10-2012, 07:49 PM
lol, you could say the same thing about most credit card companies, banks utility companies, etc........

In a way, but the details of a person's hospital stay are truly a private matter; especially when the world is frothing at the mouth to hear everything.

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
In a way, but the details of a person's hospital stay are truly a private matter; especially when the world is frothing at the mouth to hear everything.

Which is why this 'apparent' suicide for this reason strikes me as not reasonable. Mind you, I find the lack of privacy of the royals quite over-the-top. It's wrong. Look at Diana.

These 'shock jocks' were wrong to do this prank, but if not for this twist, most would be applauding. I don't see how in good conscious they can now be condemning to the degree they are. They lost their jobs, they've publicly apologized and stated they never thought they'd get where they did.

No, I think this woman, had other issues and this was the breaking point. The 'shock jocks' could not have foreseen this.