PDA

View Full Version : How did the Mayans know US going over cliff?

SassyLady
12-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Craziness:

Mayan calendar: U.S. insists world will not end this month

By Michael MuskalDecember 5, 2012, 10:51 a.m.

Those of you who take everything that the U.S. government says and does with a large grain of salt, be afraid, be very afraid, because the government has now made it official that the world will not end this month.

In a blog post (http://blog.usa.gov/post/37121041300/scary-rumors-about-the-world-ending-in-2012-are-just) on its official portal, the U.S. government dismisses reports of the coming end of the world, predicted by the Mayan calendar this month.
“Scary Rumors about the World Ending in 2012 Are Just Rumors,” the government reassures its citizens and presumably the rest of the world as well, because in the Marshall McLuhanesque sense, we are indeed all in this together.

Reports of the imminent demise of the planet are based on the Mayan prophecy of the end of time when the current calendar expires. In some popular interpretations by doomsday adherents -- fed in part by the usually reliable Hollywood blockbuster -- the expiration signals the end of time, hence the destruction of the world. How the world will end is a little vague but a collision with a comet or a planet is among the favored exit strategies.

If that sounds vaguely familiar, it is. Destruction by comet is a favored trope that we have seen when one of those heavenly ice balls fall toward Earth from the depths at the edge of the solar system. Destruction by planetary collision also has a long pedigree. In some circles, it is known as the Nibiru cataclysm, with Nibiru, an ancient Babylonian word, being the name of the offending planet.

NASA (http://www.latimes.com/topic/science-technology/space-programs/nasa-ORGOV000098.topic) has recently reassured everyone that neither of those celestial catastrophes are in the immediate works. NASA (http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html#end)released a video earlier this year explaining why the Mayan calendar doesn't accurately predict the apocalypse. Common sense dictates that when one calendar runs out, you just flip the page and start a new cycle, which was likely the Mayan response.

“False rumors about the end of the world in 2012 have been commonplace on the Internet for some time. Many of these rumors involve the Mayan calendar ending in 2012 (it won’t), a comet causing catastrophic effects (definitely not), a hidden planet sneaking up and colliding with us (no and no), and many others,” the post on the U.S. government’s website notes.

“The world will not end on December 21, 2012, or any day in 2012,” it says definitively, begging the question of just how accurate most of the government’s predictions really are. While most people will accept the government reassurance, there are always some who will never agree. Just think back to the Y2K fears and the survivalist boom it spawned.

Still, with all of the things that the government does have to worry about, why would the government even choose to get involved in this one?

“Unfortunately, these rumors have many people frightened, especially children,” the post states. “NASA has received thousands of letters concerned about the end of the world."

“David Morrison, a planetary astronomer and senior scientist for NASA who answers questions from the public about astrobiology, says," according to the post, "at least a once a week I get a message from a young person -- as young as 11 -- who says they are ill and/or contemplating suicide because of the coming doomsday.”

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-mayan-calendar-world-end-20121205,0,6195933.story

PostmodernProphet
12-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Wouldn't it be amusing if the rapture occurred on the 19th and surprised everyone who thought they had till the 21st?........

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2012, 10:19 AM
United States citizens had better stop worrying about the end of the world and start worrying about te end of the United States as it was founded! That started for real and in earnest in 2008 with the folly of anointing a "destroyer" and calling him a Saviour. We just told the destroyer destroy some more you are doing fine and bravo on your salvation agenda. Maybe the Mayans foresaw how fudging the numbers, borrowing trillions and the repeated mass media screams of "do something immediately" "pass bills in the blind" without due consideration would bring mass destruction to the inhabitants of this continent and likely it will.
"My research" shows the planet makes it until at least 2525.= ;)-Tyr

aboutime
12-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Let's really find out how many BELIEVERS there are.

Every American who thinks the 21st will be the end of the world should go out and SPEND as much as they can. MAX OUT their credit, buy new cars, houses, boats, airplanes, and visit the most expensive restaurants...ALL ON CREDIT.

Just like Mister Obama has been doing to this nation.

On the 22nd. Let's see how serious they were, in the confidence they had....also in Obama.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Every American who thinks the 21st will be the end of the world should go out and SPEND as much as they can. MAX OUT their credit, buy new cars, houses, boats, airplanes, and visit the most expensive restaurants...ALL ON CREDIT.

Just like Mister Obama has been doing to this nation.

On the 22nd. Let's see how serious they were, in the confidence they had....also in Obama.

You show obama too much respect by posting as written "Mister Obama" IMHO. He deserves neither the title of Mister or the capitalisation of his name, tis why I type it obama. The lying bastard will never get what he truly deserves because as President of the United States of America he has the protection that office brings, so I ask God to place a POX upon obama's worthless hide. And everytime I pray I include that most sincere request.
Never did that before not even for Carter or Clinton but the bamboy scum is a "special kind" of lying dishonorable, destroying creature!-Tyr

aboutime
12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
You show obama too much respect by posting as written "Mister Obama" IMHO. He deserves neither the title of Mister or the capitalisation of his name, tis why I type it obama. The lying bastard will never get what he truly deserves because as President of the United States of America he has the protection that office brings, so I ask God to place a POX upon obama's worthless hide. And everytime I pray I include that most sincere request.
Never did that before not even for Carter or Clinton but the bamboy scum is a "special kind" of lying dishonorable, destroying creature!-Tyr

Tyr. You're right. But I really didn't think Jimnyc, would appreciate me calling him SHITHEAD. Forgive me for my LIBERAL mistake. I agree. He deserves nothing, and liars like him will never get that from me again.
I Happily...STAND CORRECTED..!

PostmodernProphet
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM

I have a better plan.....send the money to me and I will hold it for you until the 23rd.......(and hold it for myself thereafter)......

jimnyc
12-09-2012, 06:00 PM
So wait a minute, I have less than 2 weeks to live?

aboutime
12-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I have a better plan.....send the money to me and I will hold it for you until the 23rd.......(and hold it for myself thereafter)......

PostmodernProphet. Sounds like a good idea...at first. But. I'd rather watch all of the Mayan End of Earth, Liberal, Obama followers spend all of their OBAMA BUCKS to buy that Obama SHOVEL to dig themselves deeper into the Debt Hole....just as the Messiah is doing.

Kathianne
12-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Isn't the US being disrespectful of Mayan beliefs, calling them 'rumors?'

aboutime
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Not to worry jimnyc. Remember this time last year, when the same people were predicting the same thing?

WAIT A SECOND. They were right.

Obama won the election!

PostmodernProphet
12-09-2012, 06:06 PM

you only have one.....the rest of us have two......

Gaffer
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I don't buy the end of the world scenario. But then again, when the govt says don't worry, I worry.

Maybe on the 21st we can start an end of the world party thread.

aboutime
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't buy the end of the world scenario. But then again, when the govt says don't worry, I worry.

Maybe on the 21st we can start an end of the world party thread.

Gaffer. After the 21st comes, and goes. We plan on bringing our whole family....with all of the grandkids, together for the first time in almost the whole year.

Christmas, and New Years are still ON THE CALENDAR.

January 1st....ALL TAXED DAY, and April 15th. OBAMA SURPRISE DAY are still gonna come. No matter what any Mayan's said.

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm still curious as how this whole discussion isn't a slight at Mayan believers. The Obama administration labeled it 'rumors.'

Gaffer
12-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm still curious as how this whole discussion isn't a slight at Mayan believers. The Obama administration labeled it 'rumors.'

Any Mayan believers must be racist.

aboutime
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Kathianne. Nobody is taking that away from anyone who claims to be a Believer. They can still believe whatever they want. None of us, or anyone else has the power to take their beliefs away.

The proof will be in the pudding. When we get to MIDNIGHT on the 21st of this month, and one minute after, when NOTHING has changed, and the World is still spinning around on it's 24 hour cycle. We'll all forget about this, and await the NEXT Mayan Predictions. Which should be the 21st of March, 2013.

If any Mayan believers are reading this. Get back to us on the 22nd of December. And...MERRY CHRISTMAS TOO!

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Kathianne. Nobody is taking that away from anyone who claims to be a Believer. They can still believe whatever they want. None of us, or anyone else has the power to take their beliefs away.

The proof will be in the pudding. When we get to MIDNIGHT on the 21st of this month, and one minute after, when NOTHING has changed, and the World is still spinning around on it's 24 hour cycle. We'll all forget about this, and await the NEXT Mayan Predictions. Which should be the 21st of March, 2013.

If any Mayan believers are reading this. Get back to us on the 22nd of December. And...MERRY CHRISTMAS TOO!

I'm shocked that you chose to defend the Mayan attackers, via Obama. I guess a lesson learned everyday.

SassyLady
12-10-2012, 11:38 PM

One of the longest running rumors it seems.