PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon To The US

Kathianne
12-09-2012, 11:21 AM
NHS:

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2012/12/raw.html

Raw
Natalie Solent (Essex) Health (http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/health/)
Ann Clwyd: my husband died like a battery hen in hospital (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/04/ann-clwyd-husband-died-hen)
Ann Clwyd has said her biggest regret is that she didn't "stand in the hospital corridor and scream" in protest at the "almost callous lack of care" with which nurses treated her husband as he lay dying in the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.

Clwyd, the Labour MP for Cynon Valley since 1984 and Tony Blair's former human rights envoy to Iraq, told the Guardian she fears a "normalisation of cruelty" is now rife among NHS nurses. She said she had chosen to speak out because this had become "commonplace".

Describing how her 6'2'' husband lay crushed "like a battery hen" against the bars of his hospital bed with an oxygen mask so small it cut into his face and pumped cold air into his infected eye, Clwyd said nurses treated the dying man with "coldness, resentment, indifference and even contempt".

Owen Roberts died on Tuesday, 23rd October from hospital-acquired pneumonia.

For what it's worth, my own experiences of watching people die in NHS hospitals have been around as good as it is reasonable to expect such a thing to be. However this is not the first such blast of raw emotion directed against the NHS from a bereaved relative that I have read, merely the first from a Labour MP.

To take another example, Anthony Browne (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/oct/07/comment.comment), former health editor of the Observer, and former passionate believer in the NHS, wrote:

Last week's report into the case of Thomas Rogers, the 74-year-old grandfather who bled to death after lying undiagnosed on a trolley in an accident and emergency ward at Whipps Cross Hospital for nine hours, is shocking. What is even more shocking is that it is hardly unusual. Equally awful stories worm their way out past NHS obstruction every week. And nothing changes.

He was right about nothing changing; the "last week" mentioned in the article was in 2001. I have reposted that article several times over the years. It does not stop being relevant, alas. Again, for what it's worth, my own experience of Whipps Cross Hospital was quite a lot better than that - I take a forgiving attitude towards the fact that the midwife had to run out into the corridor and yell, "Where's the fucking obstetrician?", given that they were trying to deal with multiple women in labour. Things tend to get fraught anywhere when there is a crisis. However the deaths of Mr Roberts and Kane Gorny (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172642/Kane-Gorny-Coroner-blames-incompetence-NHS-staff-patient-dies-dehydration.html), who died of thirst due to neglect, or the baby Edward Brown (http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2007/08/needst_not_stri.html), who was born and died in a hospital toilet while nurses declined to assist because they did not have the training, did not happen as a result of any overwhelming crisis. Whether the problem is that efforts to make nursing more academically prestigious have made some nurses believe it is beneath them to supply the most basic needs of patients, or increased paperwork, or some other factor, NHS nursing care seems to fail more often than it used to. It cannot be because of "cuts". The last financial year for which there was a reduction in the percentage of central government expenditure devoted to the NHS was 1996/97. (http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn00724.pdf) And that was one of only seven decreases in all the years since 1950/51. No government has dared blaspheme against the state religion.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2012, 11:40 AM
NHS:

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2012/12/raw.html

Here is why obamacare will be far, far worse. The system will be far ,far larger!! It will dwarf the UK system in size and scope. And immediately the "real importance" will be placed upon saving the Central government money! YOU OR I MAY BE VICTIMS SOMEDAY SIMPLY BECAUSE IT WILL BE THE ONLY PLACE TO GO AND ITS MISTAKES WILL NOT BE PUNISHABLE IN ANY MEANINGFUL KIND OF WAY!
MY MOTHER IS 84 YEARS OLD AND I DREAD THE DAY WHEN SHE ENDS UP BEING CARED FOR BY THIS POPULATION CONTRIOL MONSTER CREATED BY THE GLOBALISTS THAT MASTER OBAMA!
And if they abuse her they will not like my action taken.. Im a nice guy until its time not to be nice.. --Tyr

Abbey Marie
12-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Ironically, the "evil rich" will be able to obtain top-quality health care nonetheless. It is the great unwashed (for whom Obama claims to work), that will suffer.

Nukeman
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Ironically, the "evil rich" will be able to obtain top-quality health care nonetheless. It is the great unwashed (for whom Obama claims to work), that will suffer.
Just as an aside I would add that the intentional dumb-ing down of patients recently has become very troublesome to myself and some of my coworkers.

I have been in healthcare longer than I haven't and in that time frame I have noticed a troubling trend among our patients and that is the constant need for simple instructions. When I first started it was common sense for a number of simple instructions, now fast forward 20 some odd years and what was once simple seems to be difficult for patients to follow. I blame this on our current environment of our media and govt feeling as if they have to tell us everyday how to avoid simple problems, how many times do you turn on the TV to hear an weatherman tell you to drive slow because its wet or snowy, or the news anchor telling people a bad storm is coming you need to stock up on supplies, These are common sense plain and simple..

I know this seems funny on the surface but the more you dumb down the population the less questions they will ask regarding their care. I mean after all the govt and media are telling them how to be careful so they must have the best interest at heart right???? Why would they not take very good care of all the citizens?? It is pathetic how completely uninformed MOST people are regarding their own care, everyone expects a magic pill or surgery to cure all the bad stuff they have done to their bodies.

I am sorry to go off on a tangent but I truly do struggle at times with attempting to help others when they are literally to stupid to take care of themselves. It is a problems that has become much more pronounced as of late and I don't know what the answer is!!

If you as a patient don't keep yourself informed no one will be able to fight for you as well as yourself!!!!!

Sorry for the rant!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Just as an aside I would add that the intentional dumb-ing down of patients recently has become very troublesome to myself and some of my coworkers.

I have been in healthcare longer than I haven't and in that time frame I have noticed a troubling trend among our patients and that is the constant need for simple instructions. When I first started it was common sense for a number of simple instructions, now fast forward 20 some odd years and what was once simple seems to be difficult for patients to follow. I blame this on our current environment of our media and govt feeling as if they have to tell us everyday how to avoid simple problems, how many times do you turn on the TV to hear an weatherman tell you to drive slow because its wet or snowy, or the news anchor telling people a bad storm is coming you need to stock up on supplies, These are common sense plain and simple..

I know this seems funny on the surface but the more you dumb down the population the less questions they will ask regarding their care. I mean after all the govt and media are telling them how to be careful so they must have the best interest at heart right???? Why would they not take very good care of all the citizens?? It is pathetic how completely uninformed MOST people are regarding their own care, everyone expects a magic pill or surgery to cure all the bad stuff they have done to their bodies.

I am sorry to go off on a tangent but I truly do struggle at times with attempting to help others when they are literally to stupid to take care of themselves. It is a problems that has become much more pronounced as of late and I don't know what the answer is!!

If you as a patient don't keep yourself informed no one will be able to fight for you as well as yourself!!!!!

Sorry for the rant!!

I say bravo for not only a damn fine rant but an informative one as well. --:beer:
We see that quite possibly soon our mother will be going into this new system that obama regime forced on us and we all dread the day because we see how bad healthcare is under such a system. We've decided that my oldest brother is going to be in charge of making decisions when/if mom becomes incapable. He was chosen over me because of my temper and disposition, which was a wise decision.
Good to hear concerns and highly informed opinions from somebody that has many years experience in the medical care field. Thank you. -Tyr

aboutime
12-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Sorry for the rant!!

Nukeman. Farther than that. It appears. Almost the Entire Nation has been DUMBED DOWN in one way, or another.
That became much more evident as November 6th came to an end.
And the Americans who were celebrating had no idea. They were actually cheering for their own DEMISE.