PDA

View Full Version : Philippines

Kathianne
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I saw the link on drudge this morning about missing fishermen, didn't have time then to click. Now I see this:

http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-fishermen-missing-philippine-storm-123049979.html

Hundreds of fishermen missing in Philippine storm<cite id="yui_3_5_1_22_1355106378034_270" class="byline vcard">By By BULLIT MARQUEZ | Associated Press – <abbr class="updated" title="2012-12-10T00:40:24Z">1 hr 45 mins ago

</abbr></cite>NEW BATAAN, Philippines (AP) — The number of people missing after a typhoon devastated the Philippines jumped to nearly 900 after families and fishing companies reported losing contact with more than 300 fishermen at sea, officials said.

The fishermen from southern General Santos city and nearby Sarangani province left a few days before Typhoon Bopha hit the main southern island of Mindanao on Tuesday, Civil Defense chief Benito Ramos said. The death toll has already surpassed 600, mostly from flash floods that wiped away precarious communities in the southern region unaccustomed to typhoons.

Ramos said the fishermen were headed to the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea and to the Pacific Ocean. Coast guard, navy and fishing vessels are searching for them, and some may have sought shelter on the many small islands in the area.

"Maybe they are still alive," Ramos said Sunday.

Bopha was dissipating finally in the South China Sea after briefly veering back toward the country's northwest on Saturday, prompting worries of more devastation.

...<cite id="yui_3_5_1_22_1355106378034_270" class="byline vcard"><abbr class="updated" title="2012-12-10T00:40:24Z">
</abbr></cite>

jafar00
12-10-2012, 12:08 AM
That's a horrific loss. When such mega storms hit poorer countries, the result is often huge loss of life and destroyed communities. I hope when you think about making charitable donations this year that a few dollars can be put aside to help the Philipines.