PDA

View Full Version : Judge finds NC ‘Choose Life’ plates unconstitutional

jimnyc
12-10-2012, 12:32 PM
"reproductive freedom"? One is choosing life, the other might as well embrace their stance and get plates that state "choose death". I find it ironic that they choose that terminology when their argument is never about the freedom to reproduce.

RALEIGH, N.C. – A federal judge has ruled it is unconstitutional for North Carolina to issue pro-life license plates unless the state offers similar plates supporting abortion rights.

U.S. District Court Judge James C. Fox ruled on Friday that North Carolina cannot produce or distribute the “Choose Life” plate.

Judge Fox concluded, “The State’s offering of a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice plate constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment.”

The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina Legal Foundation had filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina in Sept. 2011 on behalf of North Carolinians seeking a specialty license plate that supports a woman’s right to reproductive freedom.

“This is a great victory for the free speech rights of all North Carolinians, regardless of their point of view on reproductive freedom,” said Chris Brook, legal director of the ACLU-NCLF.

Brook said the government cannot create an avenue to express one side of a political issue while denying an equal opportunity to citizens with an opposing view.

http://myfox8.com/2012/12/10/judge-finds-nc-choose-life-plates-unconstitutional/

Robert A Whit
12-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Wooooopie
Women have the right to kill children

How damned repugnant.

gabosaurus
12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Typical male viewpoint. You come to expect this from those with two heads and only enough blood to run one of them. So you know which head makes all the important decisions.
More women should exercise their freedom of choice and kick the dickheads out of bed.

jimnyc
12-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Typical male viewpoint. You come to expect this from those with two heads and only enough blood to run one of them. So you know which head makes all the important decisions.
More women should exercise their freedom of choice and kick the dickheads out of bed.

This from someone who just tried to speak down to others about tolerance, and hatred? One that is all so full of integrity?

DragonStryk72
12-10-2012, 01:42 PM
"reproductive freedom"? One is choosing life, the other might as well embrace their stance and get plates that state "choose death". I find it ironic that they choose that terminology when their argument is never about the freedom to reproduce.

http://myfox8.com/2012/12/10/judge-finds-nc-choose-life-plates-unconstitutional/

Sorry, I may not like abortion, but the Judge's decision here was correct. It's one thing if an individual is putting out bumper stickers that have "choose life" on them, but it has a completely different connotation when it is the State pushing it. Jim, we'll take NY as an example here: How would you feel if the State had license plates that read "choose choice", but did not do a similar one for those that are pro-life? It's the same here, but in the reverse direction.

DragonStryk72
12-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Wow, way to be a misogynist, Gabs. It couldn't be that men have any valid concerns over the killing of life they have half the effort in creating. Oh no, it's a pox against women, and let's be clear, from your statement, you feel the exact same way about your husband, whom you in no way spared.

If I found out my wife thought that about me... I'd be considering moving on, because obviously, she has absolutely no respect me, and is a pretty clear sexist. And don't try a lame "it's a joke", cause it's not. It is your prevailing opinion, and you were clearly serious about it in the context of the sentence, and paragraph.

Robert A Whit
12-10-2012, 02:00 PM

So, are you admitting you had abortions?

I speak from experience. I wanted both children but two women killed my kids.

I have two very lovely daughters and god forbid their mothers would have opted to kill them.

tailfins
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
So, are you admitting you had abortions?

I speak from experience. I wanted both children but two women killed my kids.

I have two very lovely daughters and god forbid their mothers would have opted to kill them.

I'm sorry you had to experience that.

Wow, way to be a misogynist, Gabs. It couldn't be that men have any valid concerns over the killing of life they have half the effort in creating. Oh no, it's a pox against women, and let's be clear, from your statement, you feel the exact same way about your husband, whom you in no way spared.

If I found out my wife thought that about me... I'd be considering moving on, because obviously, she has absolutely no respect me, and is a pretty clear sexist. And don't try a lame "it's a joke", cause it's not. It is your prevailing opinion, and you were clearly serious about it in the context of the sentence, and paragraph.

You should know these things by the third date.

Sorry, I may not like abortion, but the Judge's decision here was correct. It's one thing if an individual is putting out bumper stickers that have "choose life" on them, but it has a completely different connotation when it is the State pushing it. Jim, we'll take NY as an example here: How would you feel if the State had license plates that read "choose choice", but did not do a similar one for those that are pro-life? It's the same here, but in the reverse direction.

I too agree with the decision. It actually opens the door to have some fun. "Choose Death" probably wouldn't slide past the court. I bet however "Abortion On Demand" would.

Robert A Whit
12-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Very well stated. I think she must dislike men more than she admits.

jimnyc
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM

On paper I agree with you, but we both know that's not what it is about. I suppose I can't go against the court either than. But I'm of the belief this is more about people upset with the "choose life" and less upset because they can't put up a similar plate. With the amount of times things are being stamped on in our current society, I think this is simply a roundabout way to get rid of the choose life plates. I'd rather see the state now offer both, this way one side isn't essentially silenced and the other side would be free to show off their acceptance of abortion.

jimnyc
12-10-2012, 02:33 PM

But she's tolerant? And she's removed of all hatred? And isn't she a benchmark for integrity? :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
12-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Really? What sentiment on a plate isn't a 'viewpoint"? My state has advertised itself as a "Small Wonder". A viewpoint. Maine calls itself "vacationland". Also a viewpoint.

And choosing life encompasses much more than being anti-abortion. It is a message against suicide as well, for example.

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Then the issue of 'choose death' wouldn't be a problem. So why not start a crusade?

aboutime
12-10-2012, 07:59 PM

We agree with you gabby. IF ONLY your mother had done that. None of us would have to listen to your BS all the time.

DragonStryk72
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Really? What sentiment on a plate isn't a 'viewpoint"? My state has advertised itself as a "Small Wonder". A viewpoint. Maine calls itself "vacationland". Also a viewpoint.

And choosing life encompasses much more than being anti-abortion. It is a message against suicide as well, for example.

And those have nothing to do with ideology, and you know that. As for the slogan itself, we know to what it refers, just as did those that came up with it. Again, I dislike abortion, but the government can't simply declare a stance like that without giving proper representation to the other side.

Abbey Marie
12-11-2012, 12:15 AM
And those have nothing to do with ideology, and you know that. As for the slogan itself, we know to what it refers, just as did those that came up with it. Again, I dislike abortion, but the government can't simply declare a stance like that without giving proper representation to the other side.

Judge Fox concluded, “The State’s offering of a Choose Life license plate in the absence of a pro-choice plate constitutes viewpoint discrimination in violation of the First Amendment.”