PDA

View Full Version : Man throws paint at Polish 'miracle' Virgin Mary icon

jimnyc
12-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I wonder if there will be riots around the world now, all kinds of calls for death for those who support such actions and death sentences to all of those involved?

AFP - Polish police detained a 58-year-old man Sunday after he threw vials of black paint at the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, an ancient Catholic icon of the Virgin Mary believed to work miracles.

A protective pane of glass over the painted protected it from any damage, local police spokeswoman Joanna Lazar told reporters.

Guards at the monastery in the southern city of Czestochowa had quickly overpowered the man responsible and handed him over to police, she added.

The detained man had been questioned and was expected to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, Lazar said. His name has not been released.

Lazar added that he could be charged with offending religious sentiment, an offense punishable by up to two years in prison.

"The faithful have been calling us crying to ask what happened," monastery spokesman Father Robert Jasiulewicz told the news agency PAP.

"We've reassured them that the painting is intact."

Many people in Poland, which is 90-percent Catholic, believe the icon holds special powers.

http://www.france24.com/en/20121209-man-throws-paint-polish-miracle-virgin-mary-icon

Marcus Aurelius
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Someone should make a video about this, put it up on YouTube, and see if Christians start attacking embassy's.

cadet
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
No reason for Christians to attack.
God says not to idolize. Worshiping a panting is pointless. If anything, any Christian should just feel sorry for the man who obviously is lost.
Pray that his faith will turn around, and God won't smite him.

Marcus Aurelius
12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
God says not to idolize. Worshiping a panting is pointless. If anything, any Christian should just feel sorry for the man who obviously is lost.

did my point sail over your head, or were you being purposely obtuse?

Abbey Marie
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM

Methinks you missed the sarcasm.

jimnyc
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM

It was sarcasm, based on the millions of Muslims who rioted and killed over Muhammad being insulted.

The question is, will these people learn any lessons when they see Christians taking it in stride and remaining peaceful over such incidents? Or will Muslims continue to be violent over insults?

Abbey Marie
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
It was sarcasm, based on the millions of Muslims who rioted and killed over Muhammad being insulted.

The question is, will these people learn any lessons when they see Christians taking it in stride and remaining peaceful over such incidents? Or will Muslims continue to be violent over insults?

Question 1: No, they will continue to hate us for it.
Question 2: Yes.

cadet
12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Methinks you missed the sarcasm.

Ok, rereading through it, i got it.
Ruined my point... Trying to say we're peaceful as ya'll attack with smart-alek remarks... Ironic.

aboutime
12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
One step at a time. One ignorant man does whatever he wants, and is applauded by those around him who also want to destroy everything, and everyone who doesn't bow down to their demands.

The have no incentive for freedom, liberty, or rights. Or granting anyone else the freedoms, liberties, or rights, BECAUSE hatred is deeply seated, and disguised behind those who claim their Religious beliefs are based on THEIR interpretation of PEACE. Which is DEATH.

Abbey Marie

Forgot to add:

Luke 21:17
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

Abbey Marie
Ok, rereading through it, i got it.
Ruined my point... Trying to say we're peaceful as ya'll attack with smart-alek remarks... Ironic.

Who did I attack?

aboutime
12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Who did I attack?

Abbey. I wondered the very same thing. Maybe cadet will tell us.

cadet
12-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Who did I attack?

Not you, just the whole point of the thread, I took it at face value.
Just pointing out that the whole thread is a "Nener nener we're better then you." Which... Is not being better.

PostmodernProphet
12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
A protective pane of glass over the painted protected it from any damage, local police spokeswoman Joanna Lazar told reporters.

apparently, among other things, he wasn't very observant.......makes me wonder why we weren't smart enough to have a protective cover over our embassy in Benghasi.........

aboutime
12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Just pointing out that the whole thread is a "Nener nener we're better then you." Which... Is not being better.

cadet. With all seriousness. How did you get such an impression when the subject of this thread is about One man, throwing paint?

Please explain further how you came to that conclusion?

jimnyc
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM

And yet there is an actual story in there too. And while not medal winning worthy, I DO think anything is "better" than rioting, abusing and killing.

Abbey Marie
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM

I'm not seeing it that way. We are disgusted by the homicidal actions of Islamists over what they perceive as insults to their religion. We are also disgusted by the way Christianity is treated by so-called enlightened Christian-phobics. The HUGE difference is we don't resort to violence. These are facts; not bragging.

The fact that some on this board defend Islam by attempting to equate the two religions, gives rise to these comparisons. Not a childish "We're better than you". So, I would ask that you look to the real perpetrators of the comparisons.

Btw, I think would all rejoice if Islamists actually behaved peacefully.

aboutime
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm not seeing it that way. We are disgusted by the homicidal actions of Islamists over what they perceive as insults to their religion. We are also disgusted by the way Christianity is treated by so-called enlightened Christian-phobics. The HUGE difference is we don't resort to violence. These are facts; not bragging.

The fact that some on this board defend Islam by attempting to equate the two religions, gives rise to these comparisons. Not a childish "We're better than you". So, I would ask that you look to the real perpetrators of the comparisons.

Btw, I think we would all rejoice if Islamists actually behaved peacefully.

Abbey. I totally agree with you. It might be very surprising to some to learn how we'd all feel, if EVERY religious representative, for every religion behaved peacefully. We might actually accomplish something....TOGETHER.

Much like our own Discrimination, or Racial problems here in our own nation. But that is constantly STOPPED by those who know. Discussions about Race, and Racism cannot, and should not be permitted to take place. It might solve the problems. Then...the Real Racists would have no AMMUNITION to convince, and brainwash the un-educated how Racism is perpetuated by the RACE BAITERS who stand to make a PROFIT off of their racism.

jafar00
12-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Isn't worshiping statues or paintings paganism?

KarlMarx
12-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Guess it's like this. Our Lady, the mother of our Savior, loves us, too.

Here it goes.. In Psalms 1 it says... "

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night."

I have a confession to make... did I tell you guys? I don't think I've ever told anyone this.. so here goes

I say the rosary each day I go to work and on the way back home...

How can you say the rosary while you're driving???????

Easy... use your fingers!

I don't use a rosary, I use my 10 fingers... so here's how if you want to know

Say the Apostle's Creed
Say the Lord's Prayer
Say 3 Hail Marys

Say the Fatima Prayer "Oh my Jesus, forgive me my sins, save me from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those in need of your mercy"

Announce the first mystery
Say the Lord's Prayer
Say ten Hail Marys (that's where the fingers come in handy)
Say the Fatima Prayer

On to the 2nd mystery!
Say the Lord's Prayer
Say ten Hail Marys
Say the Fatima Prayer

Repeat for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th mysteries

End it with

"Hail, holy Queen, mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile show us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.(Verse) Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
(Response) That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

(Response) O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal salvation. Grant, we beseech Thee, that while meditating on these mysteries of the most holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that we may both imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through Christ our Lord. Amen"

Here are the Mysteries
Monday, Thursday, and Sundays in Advent... The Joyous mysteries
Tuesday, Friday, and Sundays in Lent...The Sorrowful mysteries
Wednesay, Saturday, Sundays not in Advent or Lent... The Glorious Mysteries

Joyous Mysteries
1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Nativity
4. The Presentation at the Temple
5. The Discovery in the Temple

Sorrowful Mysteries
1. The Agony in the Garden
2. The scourging at the pillar
3. The crowning of Thorns
4. The carrying of the cross
5. The Crucifixion

The Glorious Mysteries
1. The Resurrection
2. The Ascension
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit
4. The Assumption
5. The Coronation of Mary

Now, some may object, stating that this is a prayer to Mary. I'll counter that it's a meditation and that the prayers create a basis for those meditations. Much like the mantras in Buddhisim and Hinduism... so there you go

I've been doing this since.. 2009.. and I think it's very rewarding.. though I'd pass this along to everyone. I hope you find it a big blessing as much as I did.

KarlMarx
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM

You don't pray to icons. You use them as a focus of your prayers and meditations. I suppose you could concentrate on holy scripture instead if you're not comfortable with that.

aboutime
12-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Do you mean worshiping Icon's like this? 4122 Or Martyr's ?

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Guess it's like this. Our Lady, the mother of our Savior, loves us, too.

Here it goes.. In Psalms 1 it says... "

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night."

I have a confession to make... did I tell you guys? I don't think I've ever told anyone this.. so here goes

I say the rosary each day I go to work and on the way back home...

How can you say the rosary while you're driving???????

Easy... use your fingers!

I don't use a rosary, I use my 10 fingers... so here's how if you want to know

Say the Apostle's Creed
Say the Lord's Prayer
Say 3 Hail Marys

Say the Fatima Prayer "Oh my Jesus, forgive me my sins, save me from the fires of hell, and lead all souls to heaven, especially those in need of your mercy"

Announce the first mystery
Say the Lord's Prayer
Say ten Hail Marys (that's where the fingers come in handy)
Say the Fatima Prayer

On to the 2nd mystery!
Say the Lord's Prayer
Say ten Hail Marys
Say the Fatima Prayer

Repeat for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th mysteries

End it with

"Hail, holy Queen, mother of mercy, our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile show us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.(Verse) Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
(Response) That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

(Response) O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal salvation. Grant, we beseech Thee, that while meditating on these mysteries of the most holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that we may both imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through Christ our Lord. Amen"

Here are the Mysteries
Monday, Thursday, and Sundays in Advent... The Joyous mysteries
Tuesday, Friday, and Sundays in Lent...The Sorrowful mysteries
Wednesay, Saturday, Sundays not in Advent or Lent... The Glorious Mysteries

Joyous Mysteries
1. The Annunciation
2. The Visitation
3. The Nativity
4. The Presentation at the Temple
5. The Discovery in the Temple

Sorrowful Mysteries
1. The Agony in the Garden
2. The scourging at the pillar
3. The crowning of Thorns
4. The carrying of the cross
5. The Crucifixion

The Glorious Mysteries
1. The Resurrection
2. The Ascension
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit
4. The Assumption
5. The Coronation of Mary

Now, some may object, stating that this is a prayer to Mary. I'll counter that it's a meditation and that the prayers create a basis for those meditations. Much like the mantras in Buddhisim and Hinduism... so there you go

I've been doing this since.. 2009.. and I think it's very rewarding.. though I'd pass this along to everyone. I hope you find it a big blessing as much as I did.

I commend you for this post. Most Protestants and certainly Islamicists won't get it, but good post!

aboutime
12-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I commend you for this post. Most Protestants and certainly Islamicists won't get it, but good post!

Ditto Kathianne. It is a good post. And we all know. The agnostics, and Atheists among us will either avoid it, or degrade it.

cadet
12-10-2012, 10:38 PM

And that's why there's a huge difference between Catholics and the rest of us. Butter it as much as you want, they pray to the saints. And the pastor's a medium between you and god? :rolleyes:

Kathianne
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Ditto Kathianne. It is a good post. And we all know. The agnostics, and Atheists among us will either avoid it, or degrade it.

I'm not to concerned about either of those groups, for the most part they'd get it. The problem would come from the far right and the far left.