PDA

View Full Version : US sending 20 more F-16s to Egypt, despite turmoil in Cairo

jimnyc
12-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Treaty or no treaty, I don't think ANY country should be sending them $$ or any type of arms, at least not until things are straightened out over there.

Instability in Egypt, where a newly-elected Islamic government teeters over an angry population, isn't enough to stop the U.S. from sending more than 20 F-16 fighter jets, as part of a $1 billion foreign aid package.

The first four jets are to be delivered to Egypt beginning Jan. 22, a source at the naval air base in Fort Worth, where the planes have been undergoing testing, told FoxNews.com. The North African nation already has a fleet of more than 200 of the planes and the latest shipment merely fulfills an order placed two years ago. But given the uncertainty in Cairo, some critics wonder if it is wise to be sending more top gun planes.

“Should an overreaction [by Egypt] spiral into a broader conflict between Egypt and Israel, such a scenario would put U.S. officials in an embarrassing position of having supplied massive amounts of military hardware … to both belligerents,” said Malou Innocent, a foreign policy analyst at the Cato Institute. “Given Washington's fiscal woes, American taxpayers should no longer be Egypt’s major arms supplier.”

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/10/us-sending-20-more-f-16s-to-egypt-despite-turmoil-in-cairo/?intcmp=obinsite

jimnyc
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
It appears others are thinking twice and getting assurances before giving them handouts...

(Reuters) - A vital $4.8 billion International Monetary Fund loan to Egypt will be delayed until next month, its finance minister said on Tuesday, intensifying the political crisis gripping the Arab world's most populous nation.

As rival factions gathered in Cairo and Alexandria for a new round of demonstrations, Finance Minister Mumtaz al-Said said the delay in the loan agreement was intended to allow time to explain a heavily criticised package of economic austerity measures to the Egyptian people.

The announcement came after President Mohamed Mursi on Monday backed down on planned tax increases, seen as key for the loan to go ahead. Opposition groups had greeted the tax package, which had included duties on alcoholic drinks, cigarettes and a range of goods and services, with furious criticism.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/11/us-egypt-politics-idUSBRE8B90RO20121211

fj1200
12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
^It appears the IMF is ready to F' over another country. I predict poverty and unrest for yet another generation.

jimnyc
12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
^It appears the IMF is ready to F' over another country. I predict poverty and unrest for yet another generation.

Do you think it's wise for anyone at all to send in funding or weaponry to an unstable country? I don't think tossing money at a government that may keep that money is a way to fix poverty or unrest.

fj1200
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Do you think it's wise for anyone at all to send in funding or weaponry to an unstable country? I don't think tossing money at a government that may keep that money is a way to fix poverty or unrest.

I don't think it wise for Egypt to take IMF money; to many restrictions focusing on "austerity." Should anyone send money to Egypt? Not without massive controls on the final use of funds. They may not even be getting actual cash though.

jimnyc
12-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I don't think it wise for Egypt to take IMF money; to many restrictions focusing on "austerity." Should anyone send money to Egypt? Not without massive controls on the final use of funds. They may not even be getting actual cash though.

This is the problem when monies is sent to unstable countries. We've seen situations like this too many times, and the leaders keep the money, reinforce military for themselves, keep food and other aid - all at the citizens expense. I agree with the massive controls, but something tells me that the MB aren't going to agree with that.

fj1200
12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
This is the problem when monies is sent to unstable countries. We've seen situations like this too many times, and the leaders keep the money, reinforce military for themselves, keep food and other aid - all at the citizens expense. I agree with the massive controls, but something tells me that the MB aren't going to agree with that.

I wouldn't be too worried about this particular chunk of money.

In Washington, the IMF said Egypt had asked for the loan to be postponed "in light of the unfolding developments on the ground". The Fund stood ready to consult with Egypt on resuming discussions on the stand-by loan, a spokeswoman said.
The turmoil has also placed a big strain on the economy, sending foreign currency reserves down to about $15 billion, less than half what they were before the revolt two years ago as the government has sought to defend the pound.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/11/us-egypt-politics-idUSBRE8B90RO20121211