PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot

Abbey Marie
12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Just got one (and my arm is killing me). My husband won't get them anymore; he thinks they make him get sick. And I read recently of a study linking years of flu shots with Alzheimers.

Do you get them? If not, why not?

jimnyc
12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Can't recall my last one, or ever getting one for that fact, but I suck at monitoring my health and keeping records. I don't go as I just never saw the need. Maybe when I get older I'll start going. Or am I old now and need to start getting it? LOL

Kathianne
12-11-2012, 05:11 PM
It's required to work in the schools. One thing that I get free, 3 places want to give to me:

1. Walgreens
2. School district 1
3. School district 2

Abbey, I agree with your husband. Since my first one 3 years ago, I seem to get more colds and flu. However, until this year have been less severe than when I used to get.

Well I've not had the flu, but bad cold I thought was going to turn into pneumonia or bronchitis. I had to stay home 3 days!

MtnBiker
12-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I have never had one. Just did not see the need. I only will contract the flu once in a while and only last a day or two.

Kathianne
12-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I have never had one. Just did not see the need. I only will contract the flu once in a while and only last a day or two.

You're young! LOL! Besides which, as I said it's a requirement for teaching in public schools. I wonder if you were working as a chef, would you be required to also?

MtnBiker
12-11-2012, 06:13 PM
You're young! LOL! Besides which, as I said it's a requirement for teaching in public schools. I wonder if you were working as a chef, would you be required to also?

Oh, yeah. Actually there were times I had to do that.

I'm not that young. :cool:

Gaffer
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I got one last year at the VA. Got sick in the afternoon and by evening was running such a high fever I was hallucinating. Took two days to get over it. NEVER AGAIN.

Abbey Marie
12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I got one last year at the VA. Got sick in the afternoon and by evening was running such a high fever I was hallucinating. Took two days to get over it. NEVER AGAIN.

Wow, Gaffer. I don't blame you. I wonder if you got some weird batch? Though as I said, my husband got sick afterwards too, one time.

I've been getting them for about 12 years, and have never gotten more than a sore arm.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-11-2012, 10:00 PM

I got one flu shot one time. It taught me a lesson. Was given free at our workplace back then. 97 of us took the shot , nobody was sick prior to that day. 3 of us was so sick by the next afternoon we barely made it until end of the day. Next day we all missed work, I was off for an entire week plus the wekend and thought I WAS GOING TO DIE, Ron and Tony were off about 12 days before they were able to return to work. That was back in 91 or 92. I have not taken flu shot since and never will!!! I've actually thought that could be when my heart got damaged. -Tyr

Gaffer
12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow, Gaffer. I don't blame you. I wonder if you got some weird batch? Though as I said, my husband got sick afterwards too, one time.

I've been getting them for about 12 years, and have never gotten more than a sore arm.

I don't know if it was bad or not but I was seriously sick. Considered calling 911, but the hallucination was so bad I thought I would fall off the bed if I reached for the phone. It seemed like it was about 6 feet away, it was actually two feet. Couldn't even walk to the bathroom. Might even have been an allergic reaction. But I'll never take another one.

Robert A Whit
12-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Just got one (and my arm is killing me). My husband won't get them anymore; he thinks they make him get sick. And I read recently of a study linking years of flu shots with Alzheimers.

I got one flu shot that hurt. And it was many years ago in Germany. We were told to show up at the post movie where we took a seat. They called our names and we went up by the stage where they used air guns to give us the shot. You don't need needles with the air gun. It hurt like all hell broke out about 3 minutes later. Most of the guys did not claim it hurt them.

When my doctor does it, he uses the needle and so far no pain. Each year for the past 6 or 7 years he pulls out the needle and gives me the dose.

Your husband is not protected from the flu and if he gets around kids, he might get sick.

aboutime
12-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Abbey. Just joking here but "Alzheimers?" I don't REMEMBER whether I did or didn't. By the way. What's an Alzheimer? Is that like the German Wisenheimer? LOL

Seriously. This is my second year of getting the Flu Shot. Based on the amount of other meds I take. My Doctor insisted my resistance to the Flu, and other annual bugs would be much lower. At most. I get the sniffles, and a sore throat.

But still here to PISS people Off.

Gaffer
12-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Abbey. Just joking here but "Alzheimers?" I don't REMEMBER whether I did or didn't. By the way. What's an Alzheimer? Is that like the German Wisenheimer? LOL

Seriously. This is my second year of getting the Flu Shot. Based on the amount of other meds I take. My Doctor insisted my resistance to the Flu, and other annual bugs would be much lower. At most. I get the sniffles, and a sore throat.

But still here to PISS people Off.

You and I have a lot in common, quadruple by pass and lots of pills every day. But I refuse to take a flu shot ever again. Resistance or no resistance.

Robert A Whit
12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
It's required to work in the schools. One thing that I get free, 3 places want to give to me:

1. Walgreens
2. School district 1
3. School district 2

Abbey, I agree with your husband. Since my first one 3 years ago, I seem to get more colds and flu. However, until this year have been less severe than when I used to get.

Well I've not had the flu, but bad cold I thought was going to turn into pneumonia or bronchitis. I had to stay home 3 days!

On TV a few days back, doctors discussed this. They claimed that if one gets the flu after getting the shot, the flu will be very mild. They also stated that a cold has nothing to do with the flu shot. I find the way to prevent the cold is to stay away from children. Since many people can't evade children, at least one can wash their hands, keep the hands away from the eyes and nose and keep in mind that the cold is a bacteria that can be handled best by staying clean. I am not too versed in diseases so maybe somebody will state the cold is also a virus. But the advice stands.

SassyLady
12-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Had my second one this year .... arm hurt for a couple of hours but I didn't get sick with either one. Since I've turned 60 there seems to be all kinds of shots we "need" to get. One for shingles, tetanus/diphtheria, whooping cough, pneumonia, etc.

I cannot remember the last time I had an upper respiratory infection (colds, flus, etc.). Three years ago my daughter and two grandchildren had the flu and I took care of all of them and didn't get sick. And this was before I started taking the flu shots. I just have a great immune system ..... oh, and I get lymphatic massages all the time.

Robert A Whit
12-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I got one flu shot one time. It taught me a lesson. Was given free at our workplace back then. 97 of us took the shot , nobody was sick prior to that day. 3 of us was so sick by the next afternoon we barely made it until end of the day. Next day we all missed work, I was off for an entire week plus the wekend and thought I WAS GOING TO DIE, Ron and Tony were off about 12 days before they were able to return to work. That was back in 91 or 92. I have not taken flu shot since and never will!!! I've actually thought that could be when my heart got damaged. -Tyr

I would almost bet a lot of money that you had the flu before you got the shot. I have never got ill from the flu shot. The fact others also got sick that soon gives me the idea you all were exposed prior to a shot.

First, if one gets the shot, should they get mildly ill, it takes like two weeks to show up.

gabosaurus
12-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Flu shots are recommended for certain segments of the population. My daughter got one because she has a defective immune system.
Everyone with questions should see a doctor to determine the risks and benefits.

Abbey Marie
12-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Just happened to see a segment on this on this morning's news.

The doctor said:
1. The flu vaccine contains a dead virus, and therefore cannot cause the flu
2. The vaccine takes 2 weeks to take effect, so anyone exposed before or during that two week period to a flu virus, can still get the flu. When this happens, people tend to erroneously blame the vaccine for either causing it, or not preventing it.

Those two points go a long way to satisfying me that the vaccine is ok. But my husband simply will not be convinced.

revelarts
12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm 50, never taken a flu shot. Never saw the need, even before i started to read the pros and cons.

I've read that there are several studies that say regular doses of Vitamin D do a Better job of preventing Flu than Flu shots do. Without the possible side effects.

I think the Flu shot marketing hype is just a Pharmaceutical biz cash cow.

gabosaurus
12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Those two points go a long way to satisfying me that the vaccine is ok. But my husband simply will not be convinced.

HA!! My father-in-law is the same way. He latches on to one opinion and you can't sway him.

Robert A Whit
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM

The doctor said:
2. The vaccine takes 2 weeks to take effect, so anyone exposed before or during that two week period to a flu virus, can still get the flu. When this happens, people tend to erroneously blame the vaccine for either causing it, or not preventing it.

I believe that when I started getting the Flu shots, I had asked my doctor if the shot could give the flu to me. He said no. Statements made above match what I saw on TV by the doctors at the center for disease controls. Probably saw it on PBS. I had pain with one shot but that was in 1963 I believe. The doctor used an air gun that was used a lot by the Army. I don't know what they do today. My doctor gives me injections using needles and there is no pain.

aboutime
12-12-2012, 02:26 PM

The doctor said:

Abbey. This may be off topic here, but. There is little talk about Chicken-pox victims as well.

I had them twice when I was growing up. And...today. I remember the pain of SHINGLES, witch is also preventable now with an Expensive Shot.
As for the FLU. It's up to the individual. But then. After you come down with the HERSHEY SQUIRTES, PUKING, COUGHING, and RUNNY NOSE.

You usually ask yourself... "WHY DIDN'T I GET THE SHOT?"

revelarts
12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
info dump

A cuatious middle of the road report in the Wall St J
Until recently, scientists have blamed the higher prevalence of flu cases during winter to the tendency of humans to congregate inside or the low humidity of cold weather, which makes viruses survive in the air longer. Increasingly, scientists are exploring another possible explanation: During the wintertime, we are outside less, resulting in lower vitamin D absorption from the sun. ....

"Unless you are out there in the sun all the time, which hardly anyone is doing in wintertime, it's impossible to get enough," says James R. Sabetta, director of infectious diseases at Greenwich Hospital in Greenwich, Conn., who has studied the effect of vitamin D on respiratory infections.
<cite>
</cite>

Vitamin D is naturally present in few foods, such as salmon and herring, so humans need to get it either from sunlight or dietary supplements. In a recent report, the Institute of Medicine tripled the amount of vitamin D recommended for most Americans to 600 international units a day. The IOM is an arm of the National Academy of Sciences, which sets government nutrient levels.

But, based in part on early evidence that vitamin D helps prevent upper respiratory infections, some scientists recommend daily levels of 2,000 to 4,000 IUs or even higher. The Vitamin D Council, a nonprofit scientist group supported by vitamin makers and other commercial interests, recommends 5,000 IUs daily—but warns that this dose doesn't replace the conventional recommendation of a flu shot. "I recommend vitamin D and a flu shot to cover all your bases," says the council's executive director John Cannell.

It's true that basic science shows that vitamin D boosts innate immunity, or the body's first line of defense against pathogens, says Pennsylvania State University scientist A. Catharine Ross, chairman of the IOM committee that made the latest recommendations. But the recommended increase was based on vitamin D's proven positive role in bone health, she says. The panel reviewed the studies and found "no strong evidence that supports the idea that increased levels of vitamin D are going to be protective" against upper respiratory infections, she adds.

Vitamin D boosts immunity by stimulating production of cathelicidin, an antimicrobial protein that serves as a "natural antibiotic" in the body, says Michael Zasloff, a professor of surgery and pediatrics at Georgetown University Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

But so far studies looking directly at whether higher vitamin D levels help prevent upper respiratory infections have had mixed results. A Japanese study of 167 schoolchildren first published online in March in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that vitamin D supplements helped reduced incidences of influenza A but not influenza B.

Influenza A and B are the two main types of flu viruses responsible for seasonal flu epidemics every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Swine and bird flus are specific subtypes of influenza A.

In an observational study published in June, Dr. Sabetta and colleagues followed 195 people during winter and found that people with a blood serum concentration of 38 nanograms per milliliter of vitamin D had half the risk of getting an upper respiratory tract infection as those with levels below that threshold. The people with higher vitamin D levels hadn't gotten any more flu shots and weren't taking more of other vitamins than those with lower levels, according to the study. The study, however, didn't rule out the possibility that the group with higher vitamin D also had better overall nutrition.

"We're very confident and we think this is going to be verified" by other studies, says Dr. Sabetta, an associate clinical professor at Yale University School of Medicine.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704156304576003531437073192.html

According to the findings from a 2010 study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20219962) that didn't get any widespread attention, vitamin D is a highly effective way to avoid influenza.
In fact, children taking low doses of Vitamin D3 were shown to be 42 percent less likely to come down with the flu.
The randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study included 430 children aged 6-15, who were followed between December 2008 and March 2009.
Half were given 1,200 IU's of vitamin D3 daily, while the other half received a placebo.
Influenza strains were determined through lab testing of nose and throat swabs.
Eighteen of the children taking vitamin D contracted influenza Type A, compared to 31 children in the placebo group.
Type B influenza rates were unaffected by vitamin D use, however, the illness resulting from Type B influenza strains is typically milder than Type A.
Considering the fact that influenza was reduced by 42 percent at a dose of just 1,200 IU's a day, it's possible that even better results might be obtained with higher dosages—depending on just how deficient you are to begin with, of course, because it's not really the dosage that matters; it's the amount of vitamin D in your blood.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/12/14/study-shows-vitamin-d-cuts-flu-by-nearly-50.aspx

A cardiac surgeon and Professor of Surgery at the University of Washington recommends avoiding the flu shot and taking vitamin D instead. Donald Miller, MD, says “Seventy percent of doctors do not get a flu shot.”
Health officials say that every winter 5–20 percent of the population catches the flu, 200,000 people are hospitalized, and 36,000 people will die from it. The National Vital Statistics Reports compiled by the CDC show that only 1,138 deaths a year occur due to influenza alone, and more than 34,000 of the “36,000″ flu deaths are what officials estimate are “influenza-associated” pneumonic and cardiovascular deaths.

There is also a lack of evidence that young children benefit from flu shots. A systematic review of 51 studies involving 260,000 children age 6 to 23 months found no evidence that the flu vaccine is any more effective than a placebo (Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;1:CD004879).

A randomized trial found that the incidence of influenza in infants whose mothers had a flu shot during their pregnancy was 4%. The incidence of flu in infants whose mothers did not have a flu shot was 10%. (NEJM 2008;359:) In the study, flu shots reduced the relative risk of influenza illness in infants by a seemingly impressive 63%, yet only 6 out of 100 infants actually benefited from the shot. The other 94 received no benefit – 4 got influenza anyway – and all are at risk from being harmed by the vaccine, particularly from the mercury, aluminum, and formaldehyde in it. – Donald Miller, MD
Flu shots contain a number of substances which may have adverse effects on health, especially for children:

Mercury: Two-thirds of the vaccines made for the 2008–09 flu season contain full-dose thimerosal, an organomercury compound, 49% mercury by weight. It is used to disinfect the vaccine. Each of these flu shots contain 25 micrograms of mercury, a mercury content of 50,000 part per billion, 250 times more than the Environmental Protection Agency’s safety limit. Mercury is a neurotoxin, with a toxicity level 1,000 times that of lead.
Formaldehyde, a known cancer-causing agentis used to inactivate the virus.
Aluminum, added to promote an antibody response,is a neurotoxin that may play a role in Alzheimer’s disease.
Other additives in the flu vaccine include:

Triton X-100 (a detergent)
Polysorbate 80
carbolic acid
ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
gelatin
various antibiotics such as neomycin, streptomycin, and gentamicin that can cause allergic reactions

So why does the CDC push the flu shot every year? The CDC’s 15-member Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) makes recommendations each year on who should be vaccinated. Almost all the ACIP members who make these recommendations have financial ties to the vaccine industry.....
http://ecochildsplay.com/2008/11/18/doctor-recommends-avoiding-flu-shot-vitamin-d-instead/

...In the study, while 31 of 167 children in the placebo group contracted influenza over the four month duration of the study, only 18 of 168 children in the vitamin D group did. This means vitamin D was responsible for an absolute reduction of nearly 8 percent.

Flu vaccines, according to the latest scientific evidence, achieve a 1 percent reduction in influenza symptoms (http://www.naturalnews.com/029641_vaccines_junk_science.html).

This means vitamin D appears to be 800% more effective than vaccines at preventing influenza infections in children.

To further support this, what really needs to be done is a clinical trial directly comparing vitamin D (http://www.naturalnews.com/vitamin_D.html) supplements to influenza vaccines with four total groups:

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/029760_vitamin_D_influenza.html#ixzz2EruyTXig

FROM THE CDC WEBSITE
bold mine

How effective is the flu vaccine?How well the flu vaccine works (or its ability to prevent influenza illness) can range widely from season to season and also can vary depending on who is being vaccinated. At least two factors play an important role in determining the likelihood that influenza vaccine will protect a person from influenza illness: 1) characteristics of the person being vaccinated (such as their age and health), and 2) the similarity or "match" between the influenza viruses in the vaccine and those spreading in the community. During years when the viruses in the vaccine and circulating viruses are not well matched, it’s possible that no benefit from vaccination may be observed. During years when the viruses in the vaccine and circulating viruses are very well matched, it’s possible to measure substantial benefits from vaccination in terms of preventing influenza illness. However, even during years when the vaccine match is very good, the benefits of vaccination will vary across the population, depending on characteristics of the person being vaccinated and even, potentially, which vaccine was used.

Researchers try to determine how well a vaccine works in order to continually assess and confirm the value of influenza vaccines as a public health intervention. Study results about how well a flu vaccine works can vary based on study design, outcome(s) measured, population studied and the season in which the vaccine was studied. These differences can make it difficult to compare one study’s results with another’s.
While determining how well a flu vaccine works is challenging, in general, recent studies have supported the conclusion that influenza vaccination benefits public health, especially when the viruses in the vaccine and circulating viruses are well-matched.

Is the flu vaccine effective against all types of flu and cold viruses?Influenza vaccines protect against infection and illness caused by the three influenza viruses in the vaccine (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccine-selection.htm) that research indicates will be most common this season. Flu vaccines will NOT protect against infection and illness caused by other viruses that can also cause influenza-like symptoms. There are many other viruses besides influenza that can result in influenza-like illness* (ILI) that spread during the flu season.

Does the flu vaccine work the same for everyone?No. While the flu vaccine is the single best way to prevent the flu, protection can vary widely, depending on who is being vaccinated (in addition to how well matched the vaccine viruses are with circulating viruses). In general, the flu vaccine works best among young healthy adults and older children. Some older people and people with certain chronic illnesses might develop less immunity than healthy young adults after vaccination. However, even for these people, the flu vaccine still may provide some protection.

How effective is the flu vaccine in the elderly?Older people with weaker immune systems often have a lower protective immune response after influenza vaccination compared to younger, healthier persons. This can result in lower levels of vaccine effectiveness in these people.

How effective is the flu vaccine in children?In general, the flu vaccine works best among young, healthy adults and older children. Lesser effects of flu vaccine are often found in studies of young children (e.g., those younger than 2 years of age) and older adults.

How is vaccine effectiveness measured?How well a vaccine works can be measured through different kinds of studies. “Randomized studies,” in which people are randomly assigned to receive either vaccine or placebo (e.g., saline solution), and then followed to see how many in each group get influenza, are the “gold standard” (best method) for determining how well a vaccine works. The measurement of vaccine effect from a randomized (placebo-controlled) study is referred to as “efficacy.” “Observational studies” are studies in which subjects who choose to be vaccinated are compared to those who chose not to be vaccinated. This means that vaccination of study subjects is not randomized. The measurement of vaccine effect from an observational study is referred to as “effectiveness.” Randomized studies are expensive and cannot be conducted after a recommendation for vaccination has been issued, as withholding vaccine from people recommended for vaccination would place them at risk for infection:rolleyes:, illness and possibly serious complications. For that reason, for example, most recent studies of how well flu vaccines work in the elderly have been observational studies.....

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

Trinity
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM

I remember that..... we had to stop by and bring you fluids and ibuprofen. And I told you to never do that again :laugh:

Kathianne
12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Abbey. This may be off topic here, but. There is little talk about Chicken-pox victims as well.

I had them twice when I was growing up. And...today. I remember the pain of SHINGLES, witch is also preventable now with an Expensive Shot.
As for the FLU. It's up to the individual. But then. After you come down with the HERSHEY SQUIRTES, PUKING, COUGHING, and RUNNY NOSE.

You usually ask yourself... "WHY DIDN'T I GET THE SHOT?"

I think it's obvious that some react differently to the flu shot than others. Abbey's husband felt it caused him to be sick. Gaffer, real serious reaction. Myself, mild-but no choice, if I want to work. Bob had no problem.

I agree with you for most people over a certain age, especially if medically fragile or small in general, it's worth it.

As for the Chicken Pox vaccine, wasn't that long ago that it was released, here's what I found:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/03/health/03vaccine.html?_r=0

<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> Chickenpox Vaccine Cuts Deaths but Raises Questions on Shingles </nyt_headline> <nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> By ANDREW POLLACK
</nyt_byline> http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/spacer.gif
Published: February 3, 2005

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/dropcap/t.gifhe vaccine against chickenpox has sharply cut the death rate from the childhood disease, according to a study released yesterday.

But even as the vaccine protects children, questions are arising about whether its use will increase the incidence of a related disease, shingles, in adults.

The concern arises from a hypothesis, backed by some evidence, that exposure to children with chickenpox helps increase adults' immunity to shingles, which is caused by the same virus. With far fewer children contracting chickenpox because of the vaccine, that effect would vanish, and adults, who have by and large, not been vaccinated, would be at greater risk of shingles.
"We already know the impact the varicella vaccine has had on chickenpox," Dr. Marietta Vásquez, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Yale University School of Medicine, said as she used the medical term for the vaccine. "Now it's time to see what impact the varicella vaccine has had on shingles."

Dr. Vásquez, along with a Yale colleague, Dr. Eugene D. Shapiro, wrote a commentary in the current edition of The New England Journal of Medicine that hailed the effectiveness of the vaccine for chickenpox but urged more study of its effects on shingles.

aboutime
12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
I think it's obvious that some react differently to the flu shot than others. Abbey's husband felt it caused him to be sick. Gaffer, real serious reaction. Myself, mild-but no choice, if I want to work. Bob had no problem.

I agree with you for most people over a certain age, especially if medically fragile or small in general, it's worth it.

As for the Chicken Pox vaccine, wasn't that long ago that it was released, here's what I found:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/03/health/03vaccine.html?_r=0

Kathianne. Before I read your link above. I must first tell you. I suffer with bouts of Shingles about every other week. And more so during the Warm, Summer months.
It is difficult to explain how it feels. But my best description everyone might understand would be....Imagine someone creeping up behind you with two wooden boards....and the boards are filled with SEWING NEEDLES that scratch the skin, then grow into tiny, red Pimples. And it doesn't matter WHAT PART OF THE BODY the Virus...Shingles attacks. Misery would be a gentle word for it, personally, that is.
As for the Vaccine. I am still uncertain whether I want it. We did learn. The single shot costs upwards of Two Hundred dollars. And I'm not aware of whether TRICARE, or MEDICARE will agree to cover it.

I do stand by my warning about CHICKEN POX. Anyone who had it when they were young. Has the Virus in their body. Keep that in mind for later, when one day...You'll learn how painful it really can be.

Kathianne. I finished reading th NYT's article. I do believe, this newer vaccine for Shingles is different than the vaccine used for children, to prevent chicken poX.
By the way. I haven't found anything related to your story that eliminates, or determines whether the Shingles occurs more in Males, or Females. Nonetheless. I DO HOPE NOBODY reading this...ever gets to feel the unbelievable Pain.

Kathianne
12-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Kathianne. Before I read your link above. I must first tell you. I suffer with bouts of Shingles about every other week. And more so during the Warm, Summer months.
It is difficult to explain how it feels. But my best description everyone might understand would be....Imagine someone creeping up behind you with two wooden boards....and the boards are filled with SEWING NEEDLES that scratch the skin, then grow into tiny, red Pimples. And it doesn't matter WHAT PART OF THE BODY the Virus...Shingles attacks. Misery would be a gentle word for it, personally, that is.
As for the Vaccine. I am still uncertain whether I want it. We did learn. The single shot costs upwards of Two Hundred dollars. And I'm not aware of whether TRICARE, or MEDICARE will agree to cover it.

I do stand by my warning about CHICKEN POX. Anyone who had it when they were young. Has the Virus in their body. Keep that in mind for later, when one day...You'll learn how painful it really can be.

Kathianne. I finished reading th NYT's article. I do believe, this newer vaccine for Shingles is different than the vaccine used for children, to prevent chicken poX.
By the way. I haven't found anything related to your story that eliminates, or determines whether the Shingles occurs more in Males, or Females. Nonetheless. I DO HOPE NOBODY reading this...ever gets to feel the unbelievable Pain.

One of my uncles had shingles. Said it was the worst thing that happened to him. He served in Pacific in WWII and was wounded. He also went blind and was a voracious reader. For him, shingles were the worst.

Kathianne
12-12-2012, 07:57 PM

You asked a question of Abbey, I just was trying to help out. Don't know that much about any of this. I will say though, that it seems a 'warning' of sorts that if one had 2 bouts of chicken pox, the likelihood of issues with shingles, vaccines or not, would seem higher.

Normally being 'exposed' once would give immunity.

aboutime
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
You asked a question of Abbey, I just was trying to help out. Don't know that much about any of this. I will say though, that it seems a 'warning' of sorts that if one had 2 bouts of chicken pox, the likelihood of issues with shingles, vaccines or not, would seem higher.

Kathianne. That exposure was to Chicken Pox only. My son was under the impression that having Chicken Pox exposure, somehow prevented the onset of Shingles.

I hope to be able to answer the question with more certainty after my Doctor visit on Friday.

Robert A Whit
12-12-2012, 08:12 PM

On TV, what I heard doctors claim is if one had chicken pox, they already have the shingles virus in them.

And as they age, it is easier to get Shingles. So doctors claim.

SassyLady
12-13-2012, 03:17 AM
I was told that anyone that had chickenpox has the virus and it reactivates itself as we age. I got mine when I was 60 ... never had shingles and believe the vaccine I just got will keep it from reasserting itself.

aboutime
12-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I was told that anyone that had chickenpox has the virus and it reactivates itself as we age. I got mine when I was 60 ... never had shingles and believe the vaccine I just got will keep it from reasserting itself.

SassyLady. I hope that works for you. I've had shingles now for almost ten years. Still waiting to find out IF...with my other meds for heart, and my cancer preventive goodies...if the Vaccine will affect me differently.

Thank goodness you haven't felt the unbelievable....no joke...pain. It creeps up on you, anywhere, at any time, and hangs around for sometimes...hours, or days. Then relaxes.
Imagine shaving your underarms, or legs with sandpaper made of Needles....like sewing needles, or even cactus needles, being pressed into your skin. And it doesn't matter where it appears.
Sorry for ranting, but it really is a Literal Pain in the Ass.

SassyLady
12-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Yep, I agree that it is the most excruciating experience .... which is why I had the shot ... I do not ever want to go through it.

Robert A Whit
12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm 50, never taken a flu shot. Never saw the need, even before i started to read the pros and cons.

I've read that there are several studies that say regular doses of Vitamin D do a Better job of preventing Flu than Flu shots do. Without the possible side effects.

I think the Flu shot marketing hype is just a Pharmaceutical biz cash cow.

The way I figure it is that the virus used to vaccinate is dead. Dead virus allows the body to create anti bodies. I have not had the flu since getting flu shots.

Each person has to decide for themselves.

Though one thing that might happen. It might turn out that in the ACA law, they may force us all to take such shots.

Abbey Marie
12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
The way I figure it is that the virus used to vaccinate is dead. Dead virus allows the body to create anti bodies. I have not had the flu since getting flu shots.

Each person has to decide for themselves.

Though one thing that might happen. It might turn out that in the ACA law, they may force us all to take such shots.

Given the way my husband and I were forced to get those tests or lose $40 per pay check, I don't doubt it's coming eventually.