PDA

View Full Version : "Ghosts of History"

hjmick
12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4115/4937119178_33e9d6c08b_b.jpg

Very cool stuff...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hab3045/sets/72157629743320219/with/4312115089/

Credit to another guy on another board...

Robert A Whit
12-11-2012, 10:05 PM
It was winter when I visited Amsterdam and man was it cold. I hope you all went to the web site and studied the photos.

I saw some remaining bomb damage and results of artillery fire in Berlin.

Germans did an interesting thing with the war rubble. They piled the stuff up and put dirt on the piles creating parks.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-11-2012, 10:16 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4115/4937119178_33e9d6c08b_b.jpg

Very cool stuff...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hab3045/sets/72157629743320219/with/4312115089/

Credit to another guy on another board...

Thanks much, great image of truly, truly great men!!--Tyr

hjmick
12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks much, great image of truly, truly great men!!--Tyr

The link has many more pictures with descriptions of the images.

gabosaurus
12-12-2012, 01:14 AM
When I went to Germany after college graduation, my great aunt had a ton of images from WWII. It was interesting seeing my maternal grandfather as a teenager, wearing his Wehrmacht uniform.
If you want to experience the real "Ghosts of History," take a trip to Dresden with someone who was there during the bombing. The stories are horrifying.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-12-2012, 09:38 AM
When I went to Germany after college graduation, my great aunt had a ton of images from WWII. It was interesting seeing my maternal grandfather as a teenager, wearing his Wehrmacht uniform.
If you want to experience the real "Ghosts of History," take a trip to Dresden with someone who was there during the bombing. The stories are horrifying.

Dresden was no different than many hundreds of cities bombed to smithereens by the Luftwaffe . You just see it differently because your elevator rarely ever leaves ground floor. London had more bombs dropped on it. For another GREAT example of massive DEATH AND HORRIFIC SUFFERING you should visit, studying about Leningrad and Stalingrad during WW2. The germans were totally ruthless. They got exactly what they deserved and by the way my great grandparents on my mother's side were german.--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-12-2012, 09:43 AM
The link has many more pictures with descriptions of the images.

Thanks very much, fascinating link with amazing pictures. I bookmarked it for study later tonight. -Tyr

CSM
12-12-2012, 09:58 AM

What makes a Dresden resident any more "real" than any other city resident during WWII? I got news for folks: WAR IS HORRIFYING BY ITS VERY NATURE! There never has been a war where no one gets hurt and one side or the other or both has soldiers none of whom commited atrocities. War is brutal, dirty, costly in lives and treasure and leaves a lot of scars of all kinds. Dresden is one city on a long list, to be sure. The ghosts of Dresden are no more real than any other.

gabosaurus
12-12-2012, 11:35 AM
What makes a Dresden resident any more "real" than any other city resident during WWII? I got news for folks: WAR IS HORRIFYING BY ITS VERY NATURE! There never has been a war where no one gets hurt and one side or the other or both has soldiers none of whom commited atrocities. War is brutal, dirty, costly in lives and treasure and leaves a lot of scars of all kinds. Dresden is one city on a long list, to be sure. The ghosts of Dresden are no more real than any other.

It's not the location that made it real to me. It was hearing the stories from someone who was there.
It was like the Nova program I saw once where veterans of Dunkirk return to the beaches 50 years later and describe what happened in their own words.
I am very fortunate to have relatives who fought on both sides in WWII. Both are gone now, but their related experiences greatly enriched my life and made me the extreme history buff that I am now.

CSM
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
It's not the location that made it real to me. It was hearing the stories from someone who was there.
It was like the Nova program I saw once where veterans of Dunkirk return to the beaches 50 years later and describe what happened in their own words.
I am very fortunate to have relatives who fought on both sides in WWII. Both are gone now, but their related experiences greatly enriched my life and made me the extreme history buff that I am now.

Understood. Hearing the experiences of those who lived through it directly from them can be quite enlightening and compelling indeed.

Robert A Whit
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM

I expect that Dresden is in pristine condition at this late date. Berlin has a catholic chapel that has been deliberately left in terrible condition so those living today can see the destruction of a building. When I was in Germany in 62-4, actual war damage was fairly hard to locate. Oh, one could still see where bullets had hit stone buildings. And on the army base I was at, we had one destroyed building though cleaned up to the point the foundation was visable. And one barracks was partly gone but was not used. I think that the Army simply made do rather than keeping it as evidence.

Dresden as I hear it was plain no longer a city but a pile of rubble.

Robert A Whit
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM

I have to admit that during school, for the most part, I could not see the worth of history. Knowing dry dates and events just did not get it for me. Then I went to Germany in the era of John Kennedy, then my president. I was fortunate that some WWII damage was very evident at that time. Most of what I saw though was not in the West, but in East Berlin. We also have to recognize that not all German cities were wiped out. Heidelberg for instance never got hit. When visiting Germany, those old buildings were really constructed post WWII in many cases. They hid the plans and post war rebuilt them again. In Berlin, you can visit Charlotenburg schloss (sp may be wrong) a palace that was demolished by bombs. But it rose again. What you see there is relatively new but looks very old.

This is the palace I speak of.
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4850943038719717&pid=1.7&w=198&h=139&c=7&rs=1

mundame
12-30-2012, 07:46 AM

The Germans deserved Dresden. If they don't want their cities bombed they need to stop trying to conquer Europe and the world.

The horrors of constant city Blitzkrieg can more easily be seen and read about with the London blitz --- Connie Willis' Firewatch or Blackout, for instance.

It worries me when the first thing someone thinks of on a given topic ---- is sympathizing with our enemies.

There is so much of that these days: being on the side of Muslims, who are our enemies; on the side of criminals, even reflexly going to the side of communists and nazis. It is always leftists who do this, even if they aren't actually part of that subgroup themselves.

The idea seems to be always to be against America, and our civilization generally, even if it means supporting nazis and honor-killing murderous Muslims. I think it makes a lot more sense to be in favor of civilization and order and law and peace.

This country is so morbidly divided. Fatally divided, I would guess.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
The Germans deserved Dresden. If they don't want their cities bombed they need to stop trying to conquer Europe and the world.

The horrors of constant city Blitzkrieg can more easily be seen and read about with the London blitz --- Connie Willis' Firewatch or Blackout, for instance.

It worries me when the first thing someone thinks of on a given topic ---- is sympathizing with our enemies.

There is so much of that these days: being on the side of Muslims, who are our enemies; on the side of criminals, even reflexly going to the side of communists and nazis. It is always leftists who do this, even if they aren't actually part of that subgroup themselves.

The idea seems to be always to be against America, and our civilization generally, even if it means supporting nazis and honor-killing murderous Muslims. I think it makes a lot more sense to be in favor of civilization and order and law and peace.

This country is so morbidly divided. Fatally divided, I would guess.

Obama has divided this nation as no other president ever did with Lincoln(Civil War) being the lone exception!!
Whats really bad about that is obama has done that deliberately!!
People need to get a hint but likely will not, will refuse the truth when its presented to them. -Tyr

aboutime
12-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Obama has divided this nation as no other president ever did with Lincoln(Civil War) being the lone exception!!
Whats really bad about that is obama has done that deliberately!!
People need to get a hint but likely will not, will refuse the truth when its presented to them. -Tyr

How bout this? It says it all.....4216