PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Brown, Josh Brent and the Cowboys

jimnyc
12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Josh Brent drives drunk and crashes, and in the crash his friend, and fellow player, Jerry Brown is killed. The fallen players mother forgives her sons friend and even wants him at the funeral and with her family. I'm in no place to tell either of them that it's wrong. But what I read about this crash today makes me wonder. Were these actions because he was drunk? Stunned from what happened?

This is from a woman who happened upon the scene moments after the crash:

"As I was on the access road, I approached the aftermath of what was obviously a horrible, tragic incident. When I first pulled up to the scene, there was a little bit of a flame coming from the flipped vehicle, like in the engine area. Just a very small flame and I wasn't too overly concerned for that. I jumped out of my vehicle and ran up to make sure that everyone was okay. As I got closer to the scene, there was a gentleman, which I later found out was Josh Brent, that was standing off to the right side of the wreckage, kind of pacing back and forth, you know, walking around.

"I asked him if he was okay, I said 'Is everyone okay?', 'Are you alright?', and he responded to me, he said that he was fine.

"The person that was in the other vehicle stepped out of her car and she said 'I've already called 9-1-1, they're on the way'. And I was like, I'm so relieved that, you know, single-car collision, no injuries, fine...But it took no time at all for this fire to really get engaged. It became very hot, very bright, very big and then I started to hear screams coming from inside the vehicle and it was a man's voice saying 'Help me', you know, 'Help, somebody help me'. And I turned and looked at the gentleman in the black pants (Brent), and I said 'Is there a passenger? Is there somebody in the car?'. And he said 'Yeah'. And I told him 'Well, get him out of the car'.

"Josh looked at me and he said 'He won't get out of the car'. And I said 'Well, you can't just leave him in there and let him die. You've got to help him. Go get him'. And I commanded him several times and Josh looked at me, and he again said 'He won't get out of the car'. And I told him 'You can't stand here and watch him die. You've got to get him out'."

"He (Brown) was laying in the middle of the lane, very still. He had his arms were outstretched, almost in the shape of a 'T'. And he was moving his arms just a little bit, he was moving his head just a little bit. So I was like 'Okay, he's not dead, he's alive'. You know, I felt some sense of relief. The fire was getting bigger, glass was starting to shatter. I don't know where Josh went at this point, because he just disappeared into the darkness behind the vehicle.

"I didn't know Jerry in life. I never heard of him, I didn't know who he was," McWilliams added. "But I want people to understand that Josh Brent is not a hero. I keep hearing reports of how he was there to pull his friend from the fire, but he had to be coerced and pushed and begged and pleaded to get his friend out of the fire. And when he pulled him out, he just left him in the street. He didn't tell him 'Hang in there, help is on the way'. Nothing. He just left him there and I want the magnitude of that to be understood."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/eyewitness-describes-scene-crash-claimed-life-cowboys-linebacker-170937707--nfl.html

Abbey Marie
12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Dang. It sounds like shock, but I'm not a doctor.

jimnyc
12-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Dang. It sounds like shock, but I'm not a doctor.

I don't want to give him a death sentence, as he's not an apostate (kidding, chill bastards!), but he committed a crime and someone paid with their life. He's being looked at as some sort of victim in all of this. Just a few weeks ago, Jovan Belcher from Kansas City killed his girlfriend/wife and then killed himself. Hell, the NFL is treating him like a victim, and tons of fans at the game and since have been buying up his Jerseys and paying respect to him in various ways. WTF? Suppose for a moment that he just killed her and was in jail now. Would he then be deserving of support? I just don't get why people grant so much sympathy and respect to people who committed crimes.

Back to the scene, that's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe he was at the car already and knew he wasn't going to make it? Knowing you kind of just ended your career and life would surely put someone into some sort of shock. I dunno. Part of me feels badly for the guy, as I have driven drunk before, without any intent of harm of course. But I know I wouldn't have received leniency from anyone if I harmed people as a result. I suppose I just have mixed emotions all the way around.