View Full Version : Looks Like They Know How To Treat Queers In Russia

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Looks Like They Know How To Treat Queers In Russia

May 27th, 2007

By JIM HEINTZ
Associated Press Writer

Russian Police Detain Gay Activists

MOSCOW (AP) -- Police detained gay rights activists, among them European lawmakers, as they tried to present a letter to Moscow's mayor Sunday in a demonstration that also attracted a hostile crowd of people who punched and threw eggs at the activists.

The letter, signed by some 40 European lawmakers, appealed the city's ban on a march that would have taken place Sunday to mark the 14th anniversary of Russia decriminalizing homosexuality.

Police quickly grabbed about a dozen demonstrators and forced them into a bus, including the Russian gay rights movement leader Nikolai Alexeyev. Police then hustled away others, including German parliament member Volker Beck, as opponents threw eggs and shouted: "Moscow is not Sodom!"

Marco Cappato, a European Parliament deputy from Italy, was kicked by one opponent as he spoke to journalists. Cappato began shouting: "Where are the police? Why don't you protect us?" and officers hauled him away as he struggled.

The gay rights activists appeared to number fewer than 100, while roughly that many police were present.

Cappato later told Italy's Sky TG24 that he had been released. He said that when he saw that Ottavio Marzocchi, an official with the Liberal Democrats in the European parliament, had come under attack, he began shouting and "within five seconds I was taken away by police in anti-riot gear."

A total of 31 people were detained and most were later released, Moscow police spokesman Yevgeny Gildeyev said. He said two Italians were detained for jaywalking and a German was taken away by police to prevent him from being beaten.

But Beck, who was later released, told The Associated Press police beat him and the others and seized their passports. Beck also denied the group was holding a demonstration, insisting they were only trying to hand over the letter.

Alexeyev said he and two other activists expected to be held until Monday, Ekho Moskvy radio reported.

Cappato denied he had broken a traffic rule. "I was just trying to defend a friend from violent people because the police were not doing that," he said.

The Interfax news agency quoted a Moscow city spokesman, Mikhail Solomentsev, as praising the "cooordinated and polite actions of the police, who acted in strict accordance with the law."

Despite being decriminalized, homosexuality is still widely despised in Russia.

Many of the gay rights opponents Sunday carried icons or other insignia of the Russian Orthodox Church, and one man wore the garb of an Orthodox priest.

A woman in the headscarf typical of devout Orthodox believers repeatedly threw water from a bottle at Peter Tatchell, a British human rights activist, as he tried to speak. A young man in a camouflage T-shirt then punched Tatchell in the head and Tatchell was led away by police.

No gay rights opponents were seen taken away by police, though Gildeyev said a man was detained after attacking a Briton, presumably referring to Tatchell.

The only Russian lawmaker to publicly state support for the demonstrators came from an unexpected wing: Alexei Mitrofanov of the ultranationalist Liberal Democratic Party.

"How can one act in such a manner, assuming Russia wants to be a part of Europe?" Mitrofanov said at the scene, according to the Interfax news agency.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RUSSIA_GAY_RIGHTS?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-05-27-16-29-46

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 04:27 PM

May 27th, 2007

By JIM HEINTZ
Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW (AP) -- Police detained gay rights activists, among them European lawmakers, as they tried to present a letter to Moscow's mayor Sunday in a demonstration that also attracted a hostile crowd of people who punched and threw eggs at the activists.

The letter, signed by some 40 European lawmakers, appealed the city's ban on a march that would have taken place Sunday to mark the 14th anniversary of Russia decriminalizing homosexuality.

Police quickly grabbed about a dozen demonstrators and forced them into a bus, including the Russian gay rights movement leader Nikolai Alexeyev. Police then hustled away others, including German parliament member Volker Beck, as opponents threw eggs and shouted: "Moscow is not Sodom!"

Marco Cappato, a European Parliament deputy from Italy, was kicked by one opponent as he spoke to journalists. Cappato began shouting: "Where are the police? Why don't you protect us?" and officers hauled him away as he struggled.

The gay rights activists appeared to number fewer than 100, while roughly that many police were present.

Cappato later told Italy's Sky TG24 that he had been released. He said that when he saw that Ottavio Marzocchi, an official with the Liberal Democrats in the European parliament, had come under attack, he began shouting and "within five seconds I was taken away by police in anti-riot gear."

A total of 31 people were detained and most were later released, Moscow police spokesman Yevgeny Gildeyev said. He said two Italians were detained for jaywalking and a German was taken away by police to prevent him from being beaten.

But Beck, who was later released, told The Associated Press police beat him and the others and seized their passports. Beck also denied the group was holding a demonstration, insisting they were only trying to hand over the letter.

Alexeyev said he and two other activists expected to be held until Monday, Ekho Moskvy radio reported.

Cappato denied he had broken a traffic rule. "I was just trying to defend a friend from violent people because the police were not doing that," he said.

The Interfax news agency quoted a Moscow city spokesman, Mikhail Solomentsev, as praising the "cooordinated and polite actions of the police, who acted in strict accordance with the law."

Many of the gay rights opponents Sunday carried icons or other insignia of the Russian Orthodox Church, and one man wore the garb of an Orthodox priest.

A woman in the headscarf typical of devout Orthodox believers repeatedly threw water from a bottle at Peter Tatchell, a British human rights activist, as he tried to speak. A young man in a camouflage T-shirt then punched Tatchell in the head and Tatchell was led away by police.

No gay rights opponents were seen taken away by police, though Gildeyev said a man was detained after attacking a Briton, presumably referring to Tatchell.

The only Russian lawmaker to publicly state support for the demonstrators came from an unexpected wing: Alexei Mitrofanov of the ultranationalist Liberal Democratic Party.

"How can one act in such a manner, assuming Russia wants to be a part of Europe?" Mitrofanov said at the scene, according to the Interfax news agency.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RUSSIA_GAY_RIGHTS?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-05-27-16-29-46

Disgusting. Russia has always ben a nasty and creepy country and this just affirms it. These human rights violations need to be dealt with.

Doniston
05-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Bad post, disregard please

Doniston
05-28-2007, 05:06 PM

May 27th, 2007

By JIM HEINTZ
Associated Press Writer

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RUSSIA_GAY_RIGHTS?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-05-27-16-29-46You really have a thing about gays, don't you? two threads in a row? MY MY MY. Does that make you a closet Gay or Homophobe, it seems so. Have you got you boyfriend in bed there with you??? No, never mind, that's your business.

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
You really have a thing about gays, don't you? two threads in a row? MY MY MY. Does that make you a closet Gay or Homophobe, it seems so. Have you got you boyfriend in bed there with you??? No, never mind, that's your business.

That was uncalled for, just because someone hates gays is no reason to make rude and crass statments like that which you know are untrue, you are just trying to get a rise out of him and that is crap.

Doniston
05-28-2007, 05:13 PM
That was uncalled for, just because someone hates gays is no reason to make rude and crass statments like that which you know are untrue, you are just trying to get a rise out of him and that is crap. I No, I don't know that is untrue. However, have you read any of his posts suggesting that I am an old drunk and have to have my daily jug of Vodka? I suppose that is ok, RIGHT?

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I No, I don't know that is untrue. However, have you read any of his posts suggesting that I am an old drunk and have to have my daily jug of Vodka? I suppose that is ok, RIGHT?

You don't dispute anything man. You're just... HERE, and when you do try and say something, it's all mumbo jumbo like you ARE drunk. Soon I'll just ignore you and do us both a favor because you're just not worth the effort to respond to. So go ahead and keep up the insults, and I'll just keep reporting those posts. Soon you'll be banned, problem solved. You can find another board to infect.

And I don't think my wife thinks I'm a fag at all. But you can ask the last queer I kicked the shit out of. Oh well... he probably won't think so either. :fu:

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Disgusting. Russia has always ben a nasty and creepy country and this just affirms it. These human rights violations need to be dealt with.

I agree with what Russia does in this respect. They see homosexuality for the disgusting, vile, and perverted sickness it is, and they have made a decision NOT to be part of the problem. That is good. The reason we have so many fags here is because of the militant nature of the homo agenda, shouting people down, trying to make laws against even SAYING anything against them. THAT is wrong. This country is full of people AFRAID to say anything against homos for fear of being called HOMOPHOBE or BIGOT, just because they're NORMAL and are DISGUTED by it.

Not me. I think it's the responsibility of all normal people to stop shrinking from the shrill, loud, mean and hateful voices of the homo community, and speak out against it. Queers do NOT need enablers. They need people to tell them the truth, that what they do is sick and disgusting, and that they need HELP!

Doniston
05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
You don't dispute anything man. You're just... HERE, and when you do try and say something, it's all mumbo jumbo like you ARE drunk. Soon I'll just ignore you and do us both a favor because you're just not worth the effort to respond to. So go ahead and keep up the insults, and I'll just keep reporting those posts. Soon you'll be banned, problem solved. You can find another board to infect.

And I don't think my wife thinks I'm a fag at all. But you can ask the last queer I kicked the shit out of. Oh well... he probably won't think so either. :fu: No, you don't understand because it is different than how you think, BTW, I have finally seen the picture you pertend is yours. if it is, I would suggest that you couldn't kick the shit out of a cowpie. you sure look like a wimp to me. OH by the way. I haven't heard of your reporting of my posts. it is quite the other way around. If the management is wise, it will be you that is banned., and as it should be.

5stringJeff
05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
No, you don't understand because it is different than how you think, BTW, I have finally seen the picture you pertend is yours. if it is, I would suggest that you couldn't kick the shit out of a cowpie. you sure look like a wimp to me. OH by the way. I haven't heard of your reporting of my posts. it is quite the other way around. If the management is wise, it will be you that is banned., and as it should be.

Who gets banned and who doesn't get banned is not your call to make, nor is it yours to discuss. Knock it off.

Pale Rider
05-30-2007, 02:49 AM
I don't like or trust Russia. But I do agree with policy on queers. They obviously are NOT going to be pushed around by a bunch of perverts. Good for them.

Psychoblues
06-01-2007, 05:29 AM
That is an old trick carried over from very early 70's

I No, I don't know that is untrue. However, have you read any of his posts suggesting that I am an old drunk and have to have my daily jug of Vodka? I suppose that is ok, RIGHT?

'Tis true that the accusation as an "old drunk" can reduce credibility with some of the more ignorant but the significance of the statements carry on as if nothing happened. Pay attention to right wing politics, donny, and you will see that accusation means far more than fact. It is YOU that must immediately demonstrate the fallacy of the accusation and the idiocy of the accuser. Not an easy thing to do. But I can say that I think pr is an old biker queer that likes to bully and yess but would really feel more comfortable with root in his anus.

Rahul
06-04-2007, 06:22 AM

May 27th, 2007

By JIM HEINTZ
Associated Press Writer

Disgraceful. Mitrofanov is right, a country which treats people in such an uncivilized fashion doesn't even deserve to be called a part of Europe. Maybe Africa, but not Europe.

Also, I've never understood why some get their panties in a knot over other people's sexual preferences ...

:lame2: