PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like The Queers Call The Shots In Australia

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Gay Aussie hotel wins right to ban heterosexuals, lesbians

May 28 05:00 AM US/Eastern

An Australian hotel popular with gay men has won the right to refuse entry to heterosexuals and lesbians, officials and the owner said Monday.
The Peel Hotel in Melbourne won an exemption from the Equal Opportunity Act to prevent insults and abuse directed toward gays in its bars and nightclubs, owner Tom McFeely told AFP.

"The hotel predominantly markets itself towards homosexual males, towards gay men and we want to protect the integrity of the venue as well as continue to make the men feel comfortable," McFeely said.

"When large numbers of heterosexuals or even lesbians are in the hotel that changes the atmosphere and many gay men can feel uncomfortable."

The landmark decision by a civil tribunal gives the establishment -- which does not offer accommodation -- the right to refuse entry to people considered a threat to the safety and comfort of its patrons.

Helen Szoke, the chief executive of the Victoria state government's Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission, said the Peel Hotel's gay clientele had experienced harassment, hostility and violence.

"(They) also have felt as though they've been like a zoo exhibit with big groups of women on hens' parties coming to the club," she said.

McFeely said his aim was not to ban all straight patrons and lesbians but to limit their numbers so gay men could freely express their sexuality.

He said he expected a backlash from other patrons, but added: "I'm not worried about it because to be frank I don't really care what heterosexuals or lesbians think.

"My main motivation is to protect my gay male customers and I realise heterosexuals and lesbians may be upset. but I don't care about that.

"We are open at 8.00pm and we go all the way through till the morning. We have two dancefloors -- it is a nightclub environment."

McFeely said it would be easy to sort out desirable gays from undesirable straights and lesbians.

"It is particularly easy to implement with the females 'cause that is pretty obvious.

"With the heterosexual males, if they identify themselves as that at the door, or indeed we question their behaviour in the venue and if they come across as being heterosexual, then we will simply ask them to leave if the behaviour is unappropriate."

Human rights group Liberty Victoria supported the decision, vice-president Michael Pearce said.

"There are numerous places where heterosexual people can go," he said.

"I think what (the tribunal) has said is that there aren't that many places where gay people can go and meet without the risk of being harassed or vilified, and that they are entitled to have their own spaces to do that in."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070528090003.xafs5doi&show_article=1

5stringJeff
05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Hopefully this exemption works the other way, allowing hotels to ban homosexuals at its whim.

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Gay Aussie hotel wins right to ban heterosexuals, lesbians

May 28 05:00 AM US/Eastern

An Australian hotel popular with gay men has won the right to refuse entry to heterosexuals and lesbians, officials and the owner said Monday.
The Peel Hotel in Melbourne won an exemption from the Equal Opportunity Act to prevent insults and abuse directed toward gays in its bars and nightclubs, owner Tom McFeely told AFP.

"The hotel predominantly markets itself towards homosexual males, towards gay men and we want to protect the integrity of the venue as well as continue to make the men feel comfortable," McFeely said.

"When large numbers of heterosexuals or even lesbians are in the hotel that changes the atmosphere and many gay men can feel uncomfortable."

The landmark decision by a civil tribunal gives the establishment -- which does not offer accommodation -- the right to refuse entry to people considered a threat to the safety and comfort of its patrons.

Helen Szoke, the chief executive of the Victoria state government's Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission, said the Peel Hotel's gay clientele had experienced harassment, hostility and violence.

"(They) also have felt as though they've been like a zoo exhibit with big groups of women on hens' parties coming to the club," she said.

McFeely said his aim was not to ban all straight patrons and lesbians but to limit their numbers so gay men could freely express their sexuality.

He said he expected a backlash from other patrons, but added: "I'm not worried about it because to be frank I don't really care what heterosexuals or lesbians think.

"My main motivation is to protect my gay male customers and I realise heterosexuals and lesbians may be upset. but I don't care about that.

"We are open at 8.00pm and we go all the way through till the morning. We have two dancefloors -- it is a nightclub environment."

McFeely said it would be easy to sort out desirable gays from undesirable straights and lesbians.

"It is particularly easy to implement with the females 'cause that is pretty obvious.

"With the heterosexual males, if they identify themselves as that at the door, or indeed we question their behaviour in the venue and if they come across as being heterosexual, then we will simply ask them to leave if the behaviour is unappropriate."

Human rights group Liberty Victoria supported the decision, vice-president Michael Pearce said.

"There are numerous places where heterosexual people can go," he said.

"I think what (the tribunal) has said is that there aren't that many places where gay people can go and meet without the risk of being harassed or vilified, and that they are entitled to have their own spaces to do that in."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070528090003.xafs5doi&show_article=1

Whats wrong with that? Places ban gays all the time, why cant they win one?

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 09:05 PM

It's descrimination.

manu1959
05-28-2007, 09:10 PM

really.....where would that be....

Missileman
05-28-2007, 09:13 PM
really.....where would that be....

U.S. military? :dunno:

manu1959
05-28-2007, 09:18 PM

there are gays in the us military.....

nevadamedic
05-28-2007, 09:20 PM
there are gays in the us military.....

Yea, but they can't be open about it.

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 09:21 PM

For good reason.

manu1959
05-28-2007, 09:22 PM

so? what does that have to do with a ban?

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 09:25 PM

True. Everybody... that's been in the military that is.... knows that the military has it's own rules and laws, totally separate from civilian life.

OCA
05-28-2007, 09:33 PM
First off why would normal people want to stay at a hotel frequented by pole smokers? You wanna sleep on those sheets, my god the washers there must be filled with all kinds of strains of std and feces.:pee:

OCA
05-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Not in America unfortunately, ban a homosexual lifestyle choice perversionist from anything and you get the shit sued out of you unjustly.

OCA
05-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Because its wrong thats why, the military in all its wisdom recognizes this.

glockmail
05-28-2007, 09:40 PM
First off why would normal people want to stay at a hotel frequented by pole smokers? You wanna sleep on those sheets, my god the washers there must be filled with all kinds of strains of std and feces.:pee:
Exactly. Personally I'm glad I am banned. I don't go to gay bars either.

Missileman
05-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Homosexuals are banned from the military. That a few homosexuals have ignored the ban and joined anways doesn't alter the fact it exists.

Pale Rider
05-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Homosexuals are banned from the military. That a few homosexuals have ignored the ban and joined anways doesn't alter the fact it exists.

No, but they have to deny being fags, or their ass is kicked out, dishonorably.

There'd be only one way to put a faggot through basic training, and that would be to put them one by one in with the girls. But, there's already a thread on this. No need to hash that over here.

nevadamedic
05-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Thats a real mature comment to make.

glockmail
05-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Amazing how libs always use queer as an insult.

darin
05-29-2007, 08:47 AM

They don't even have to DENY enjoying man-love - they simply just cannot get caught being a homo, or showing homosexual tendencies. And I'm very sure, if they get kicked out, it's an 'honorable' discharge.

theHawk
05-29-2007, 09:12 AM
What does the U.S. military have to do with hotels in Australia? lol.

Doniston
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM

There'd be only one way to put a faggot through basic training, and that would be to put them one by one in with the girls. But, there's already a thread on this. No need to hash that over here.

Wrong in both cases. The first is misstated, the second is simply idiotic.

5stringJeff
05-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Using your logic that PR is gay because he posts anti-gay messages, you must be more conservative than William F. Buckley.

Doniston
05-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Thats a real mature comment to make. Yup, Guess I'm not the only one who wonders.

diuretic
05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
I just want to know how the publican or his staff are going to work out who's gay and so can enter and who's straight and can be banned.

Trigg
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I just want to know how the publican or his staff are going to work out who's gay and so can enter and who's straight and can be banned.

Another good question will be, are hotels in Australia now going to be able to ban gays and lesbians from strait hotels?????

IF not can they sue for discrimination???

diuretic
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Another good question will be, are hotels in Australia now going to be able to ban gays and lesbians from strait hotels?????

IF not can they sue for discrimination???

When we say "hotel" here we're talking about pubs. It's a bit confusing I know but whille we have hotels where you stay (eg Hyatt etc) we also use the term for what the Brits call pubs. That's a holdover from the old days when pubs had to provide accommodation by law (no, not for drinkers who had too much, but because way back when the trips between towns took days even small towns in the bush had pubs which offered accomodation). Sorry for the long paragraph but I needed to clarify that.

So this bloke in Melbourne has a pub of gay clientele and wants to keep straights out. I understand what he's on about. He's protecting his income. Gays and lesbians have a lot of discretionary income and they spend big at the pubs they hang out at. Where I live everyone knows the gay pubs and there's no problem in a straight person or couple going to one of them. There's usually no big fuss. This bloke I think has had problems with straights giving the gay clientele some aggro so he's trying to keep his clientele happy.

He also probably knows that in a few months his clientele will find another place so he's making hay while the sun shines.

Do I think it's okay to bar straight people from a gay pub? Doesn't fuss me. Like anyone else I know a few gay people, as far as I'm concerned if they want to hang out at their own pub and not get grief from straights with a problem about gays then that's fine with me. I can find another pub easily enough.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 12:41 PM
What does the U.S. military have to do with hotels in Australia? lol.

Nothing. We already have a thread about fags in the military, and I've asked that if you want to talk about that, go there.

This is about queers kicking people out of public places simply because they're straight.

Trigg
05-29-2007, 12:42 PM
When we say "hotel" here we're talking about pubs. It's a bit confusing I know but whille we have hotels where you stay (eg Hyatt etc) we also use the term for what the Brits call pubs. That's a holdover from the old days when pubs had to provide accommodation by law (no, not for drinkers who had too much, but because way back when the trips between towns took days even small towns in the bush had pubs which offered accomodation). Sorry for the long paragraph but I needed to clarify that.

So this bloke in Melbourne has a pub of gay clientele and wants to keep straights out. I understand what he's on about. He's protecting his income. Gays and lesbians have a lot of discretionary income and they spend big at the pubs they hang out at. Where I live everyone knows the gay pubs and there's no problem in a straight person or couple going to one of them. There's usually no big fuss. This bloke I think has had problems with straights giving the gay clientele some aggro so he's trying to keep his clientele happy.

He also probably knows that in a few months his clientele will find another place so he's making hay while the sun shines.

Do I think it's okay to bar straight people from a gay pub? Doesn't fuss me. Like anyone else I know a few gay people, as far as I'm concerned if they want to hang out at their own pub and not get grief from straights with a problem about gays then that's fine with me. I can find another pub easily enough.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all spoke English??

OK, now that I understand what a "hotel" is.......a bar in the US wouldn't be able to do this because they'd get sued for discrimination.

Now, most straight people don't go in gay bars and vice-versa, but they still shouldn't be able to keep people out because of their sexual preference.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Wrong in both cases. The first is misstated, the second is simply idiotic.

As usual donis, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

NO, you can NOT be in the military if you're a fag!

Second, try disputing "WHY" my logic is wrong instead of just saying it's idiotic. Unless you're scared I'll make a FOOL of you again.

Pale Rider
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM

You Aussies seem to be real push overs. You sure give up easy. The whole issue is about discrimination. ONE SIDED discrimination. If the straights said no more fags in their bars, the fags would have a shit fit. But the fags say no straights, and you people just go, "aaa... oh well... let's find another pub." You're being unfairly discriminated against, and you don't give a damn.

Gunny
05-29-2007, 12:52 PM

Incorrect. It is a violation of the UCMJ to engage in homosexual acts/liead a homosexual lifestyle while in the military. If one agrees to not engage in such behavior, a homosexual can legally remain in the military.

darin
05-29-2007, 01:00 PM
That crosses MANY lines.