PDA

View Full Version : Kristopf: Profiting From Child's Illiteracy

Kathianne
12-13-2012, 05:31 AM
I read this last week as I was rushing to school, was going to post but thought, I'm not reading this correctly. Forgot about re-reading when I got home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sunday/kristof-profiting-from-a-childs-illiteracy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" ">Profiting From a Child’s Illiteracy</nyt_headline><nyt_byline> By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/nicholasdkristof/index.html) </nyt_byline> Published: December 7, 2012
THIS is what poverty sometimes looks like in America: parents here in Appalachian hill country pulling their children out of literacy classes. Moms and dads fear that if kids learn to read, they are less likely to qualify for a monthly check for having an intellectual disability.

Many people in hillside mobile homes here are poor and desperate, and a $698 monthly check (http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/prog_highlights/RatesLimits2012.pdf) per child from the Supplemental Security Income program goes a long way — and those checks continue until the child turns 18.

“The kids get taken out of the program because the parents are going to lose the check,” said Billie Oaks, who runs a literacy program here in Breathitt County, a poor part of Kentucky. “It’s heartbreaking.”

This is painful for a liberal to admit, but conservatives have a point when they suggest that America’s safety net can sometimes entangle people in a soul-crushing dependency. Our poverty programs do rescue many people, but other times they backfire.

This morning ran into this column by Ed Morrissey and I guess I did read it right:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2012/12/12/Time-to-Stop-Social-Safety-Net-Child-Abuse.aspx#page1

Time to Stop Social Safety Net Child Abuse
There are few columnists in the US that regularly speak to poverty and exploitation as consistently and as effectively as Nicholas Kristof. The New York Times columnist regularly travels the world, landing in places that most people would work hard to avoid, to highlight atrocities committed against the most vulnerable. While conservatives might balk at Kristof’s conclusions and policy preferences – as I often do – there is no question about his commitment and honesty in speaking on behalf of the downtrodden.

That context is what made Kristof’s column last week (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sunday/kristof-profiting-from-a-childs-illiteracy.html?pagewanted=all)all the more remarkable. Instead of traveling to Somalia or another war-torn piece of geography to find poverty and a lack of response, Kristof went to Appalachia to see what poverty looks like in the US, and how government programs respond to it. His conclusion should make people across the political spectrum sit up and take notice:

“This is painful for a liberal to admit, but conservatives have a point when they suggest that America’s safety net can sometimes entangle people in a soul-crushing dependency. Our poverty programs do rescue many people, but other times they backfire.”

Kristof finds a number of cases where well-intentioned social-service programs produce perverse incentives that work to keep people in poverty rather than lift them out. Briefly, from a column that should be read carefully in full, those examples include a financial incentive to keep children illiterate, welfare benefits that punish marriage, and the ease in which children move from poverty programs to disability programs as adults.

Trigg
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
What's sad is that liberals have their heads in the sand and even the ones who frequent this board will argue none stop that there is very little government waste.

They will argue that the tea party people are just a bunch of racists who hate poor people and don't know what they're talking about.

Taxing the rich isn't going to pay down the debt, there need to be actual changes in this country. We have to get serious about the spending, corruption and waste that goes on in government.

gabosaurus
12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I never knew anyone got paid for having an "intellectual disability."

Now I know why some of you don't have to work. :rolleyes:

CSM
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM

I suspect there is a lot of things you "don't know" and there is even more that you would rather not know.

SassyLady
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Gabby, you are the typical liberal who does not want to see the truth about governmental dependency. You can't even come here to discuss such a serious issue without taking a jab at the posters on this board. We don't work because we have put our 40-50 years in already and you are pissing in the wind trying to equate us with the "users and abusers".

SassyLady
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I suspect there is a lot of things you "don't know" and there is even more that you would rather not know.

Hit the nail on the head there, CSM!

:clap::clap::clap:

Robert A Whit
12-13-2012, 04:15 PM

And that is your only reaction to children being paid and the parents removing the kids from school to preserve payments to themselves?

aren't you proud you are part of the problem and not the solution?:laugh:

Abbey Marie
12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
By the time Dems realize these handouts are dooming people to generations of failure, it will be too late.

CSM
12-13-2012, 05:02 PM
By the time Dems realize these handouts are dooming people to generations of failure, it will be too late.

Oh the dems realize darn well what they are doing! Victimhood is the primary plank in the party platform. Without victims, the Dems have no base!

SassyLady
12-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Abbey ... that is their plan ... they know it is happening ... how do you think they get the majority vote these days? People do not want to vote away their benefits. Democrats/liberals want people to be dependent on the government so they don't fight the government.

tailfins
12-13-2012, 05:29 PM

I didn't know someone could major in Illiteracy until I met you! Maybe you could teach their ILLITERACY classes so they can keep their benefits.