PDA

View Full Version : I hope I speak for all of us, today our hearts are broken

Robert A Whit
12-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Today, a 20 year old youth, a male, took action. and he broke my heart and I believe the hearts of all posters posting here.

We don't understand why he killed people.

I don't want to divert to guns since guns are not the problem. The killer was the problem. Now I learn his mother taught at that school in town deemed to be safe.

This is shocking.

My prayers go out to the families involved. Now it is possible that before he drove to that area, he took other people's lives. I want to know if his girlfriend is safe for instance.

This is just a small taste of how shocked I was on 911.

God care for all those he took the lives of as well as the living.

SassyLady
12-14-2012, 05:24 PM
devastated and broken hearten ... thinking about my grandchildren who are 3, 10 and 13 and what I would do if this happened to them.

aboutime
12-14-2012, 05:28 PM
devastated and broken hearten ... thinking about my grandchildren who are 3, 10 and 13 and what I would do if this happened to them.

SassyLady. Same here. In fact. After I posted my reminder to everyone here to CALL your children, and grandchildren. We had to wait until all of them came home from school.

I can report..ALL FIVE are fne. And they sure do know POP, and GRANDMOM Love them!

What can it hurt to just call them. Wherever they happen to be? It really will help you!

SassyLady
12-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I have spoken with my daughter and youngest ... but the two older are still in school.

pete311
12-14-2012, 05:34 PM
I txted my fiance who is working at an elementary school and she replied she is in tears.

SassyLady
12-14-2012, 05:35 PM
I txted my fiance who is working at an elementary school and she replied she is in tears.

I can't imagine anyone who isn't or has been at some time or other today.

Robert A Whit
12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
My two grandsons are still at school. This is CA time of course.

pete311
12-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I can't imagine anyone who isn't or has been at some time or other today.

it's a feeling that reminds me of my time in Rwanda and going through the genocide museum. The kids section gave me tears and I'm a fairly stoic man. There is just something so unbearable about treachery towards kids.

logroller
12-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Today, a 20 year old youth, a male, took action. and he broke my heart and I believe the hearts of all posters posting here.

We don't understand why he killed people.

I don't want to divert to guns since guns are not the problem. The killer was the problem. Now I learn his mother taught at that school in town deemed to be safe.

This is shocking.

My prayers go out to the families involved. Now it is possible that before he drove to that area, he took other people's lives. I want to know if his girlfriend is safe for instance.

This is just a small taste of how shocked I was on 911.

God care for all those he took the lives of as well as the living.
Ill tell you why he killed people-- he was out of his gourd crazy-- he couldn't cope with reality and took it out on those he believed were to blame for shattering his delusions. He expressed that with a weapon, but guns arent the problem any more than speech is to blame for incendiary rhetoric-- It's purely a mental health issue, a detachment mechanism. That's where we need to direct out attention, not gun legislation.

Kathianne
12-15-2012, 01:02 AM

I can't imagine what those people are going through. Just cannot. Beyond comprehension. I keep thinking of all the toys, that the children will never get and the heartbreak of parents so looking forward to their joy! Of course anytime a young child is gone the parents will be left with a huge hole, many times it destroys families that would have coped without such a loss.

Kathianne
12-15-2012, 02:07 AM
A bit over an hour later, some more articles are coming online:

http://news.yahoo.com/routine-morning-then-shots-unthinkable-terror-034139544.html

Routine morning, then shots and unthinkable terror<cite id="yui_3_5_1_20_1355553964652_287" class="byline vcard">By By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN and JOCELYN NOVECK | Associated Press – <abbr id="yui_3_5_1_20_1355553964652_293" class="updated" title="2012-12-15T06:19:27Z">26 mins ago

</abbr></cite>NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — First, he killed his mother.

Nobody knows why 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot his mother, why he then took her guns to the school and murdered 20 children and six adults.

But on Friday he drove his mother's car through this 300-year-old town with its fine old churches and towering trees and arrived at a school full of the season's joy. Somehow, he got past a security door to a place where children should have been safe from harm.

Theodore Varga and other fourth-grade teachers were meeting; the glow remained from the previous night's fourth-grade concert. (Ed. This is what is called 'team planning time. In lower grades it's meeting all same grade teachers. In middle school it's all subject area teachers within a grade-thus 'team.' During these meetings the teachers discuss cross-curricular areas and try to reinforce the objectives of their lessons repetitively. There was likely coffee and homemade treats from teachers or parents. In the lower grades it's more to make sure that all students are getting the necessary content they need to. If there is a teacher who's not feeling comfortable about a certain subject area or lesson, the others are to give suggestions. Considering the comments, most of this planning was about how the kids were getting ready for the holidays, how next week would be 'crazy' with various assemblies and programs. Then the shots rang out...)

"It was a lovely day," Varga said. "Everybody was joyful and cheerful. We were ending the week on a high note."

And then, suddenly and unfathomably, gunshots rang out. "I can't even remember how many," he said.

The fourth-graders, the oldest children in the school, were in specialty classes like gym and music. There was no lock on the meeting room door, so the teachers had to think about how to escape, knowing that their students were with other teachers.

Someone turned the loudspeaker on, so everyone could hear what was happening in the office.

"You could hear the hysteria that was going on," Varga said. "Whoever did that saved a lot of people. Everyone in the school was listening to the terror that was transpiring."

Gathered in another room for a 9:30 a.m. meeting were principal Dawn Hochsprung and school therapist Diane Day along with a school psychologist, other staff members and a parent. They were meeting to discuss a second-grader.

"We were there for about five minutes chatting, and we heard Pop! Pop!, Pop!" Day told The Wall Street Journal. "I went under the table."

But Hochsprung and the psychologist leaped out of their seatsand ran out of the room, Day recalled. "They didn't think twice about confronting or seeing what was going on," she said.

Hochsprung was killed, and the psychologist was believed to have been killed as well.

A custodian ran around, warning people there was a gunman, Varga said.

"He said, 'Guys! Get down! Hide!'" Varga said. "So he was actually a hero."
Did he survive? The teacher did not know.

In a first-grade classroom, teacher Kaitlin Roig heard the shots. She immediately barricaded her 15 students into a tiny bathroom, sitting one of them on top of the toilet. She pulled a bookshelf across the door and locked it. She told the kids to be "absolutely quiet."

"I said, 'There are bad guys out there now. We need to wait for the good guys,'" she told ABC News.

"The kids were being so good," she said. "They asked, 'Can we go see if anyone is out there?' 'I just want Christmas. I don't want to die, I just want to have Christmas.' I said, 'You're going to have Christmas and Hanukkah.'"

Robert Licata said his 6-year-old son was in class when the gunman burst in and shot the teacher. "That's when my son grabbed a bunch of his friends and ran out the door," he said. "He was very brave. He waited for his friends."

He said the shooter didn't utter a word.
___
"The shooting appears to have stopped," the dispatcher radioed at 9:38 a.m., according to the Post. "There is silence at this time. The school is in lockdown."

And at 9:46 a.m., an anguished voice from the school: "I've got bodies here. Need ambulances."
___
Carefully, police searched room to room, removing children and staff from harm's way. They found Adam Lanza, dead by his own hand after shooting up two classrooms; no officer fired a gun.

aboutime
12-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Just another reminder to all. Call your children, and grand children. Or, better yet. Give them a Hug, and tell them YOU LOVE THEM!