PDA

View Full Version : Re-Directing virus

Robert A Whit
12-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I wanted to clear my cache as Jim spoke of and during the process, suddenly as I loked in shock, my security essentials program vanished. At least the icon vanished.

Suddenly I found that I had again got bit by the re-direct virus. My virus program had not spotted it.

I learned the last time it is a root-kit virus and is missed by normal virus programs. Sort of like catching AIDS I am afraid.

I can't use Microsoft sites to download. The Virus keeps redirecting me to sites it wants to collect money for sending me to them. I used youtube trying to watch a video showing how to do it but try taking notes during a video like that. I tried pausing you tube and that helped. Still if anybody has a fix, let me know.

When I try to get to a program called TDSS Killer, I also get redirected to some site the virus wants me to get to. It might turn out that if some of you has software you can e mail me, I might be able to download it and use it to kill the virus.

Experts welcome to explain this to me.

Many thanks.

jafar00
12-15-2012, 02:14 PM
I wanted to clear my cache as Jim spoke of and during the process, suddenly as I loked in shock, my security essentials program vanished. At least the icon vanished.

Suddenly I found that I had again got bit by the re-direct virus. My virus program had not spotted it.

I learned the last time it is a root-kit virus and is missed by normal virus programs. Sort of like catching AIDS I am afraid.

I can't use Microsoft sites to download. The Virus keeps redirecting me to sites it wants to collect money for sending me to them. I used youtube trying to watch a video showing how to do it but try taking notes during a video like that. I tried pausing you tube and that helped. Still if anybody has a fix, let me know.

When I try to get to a program called TDSS Killer, I also get redirected to some site the virus wants me to get to. It might turn out that if some of you has software you can e mail me, I might be able to download it and use it to kill the virus.

Experts welcome to explain this to me.

Many thanks.

I can help you. What's your email? I'll send the killer app.

Gaffer
12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Tizer root kit razor can clean that out. It's a free program, just google Tizer.

Might also want to use a different browser like firefox.

tailfins
12-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy has been my go-to. Also, restoring your computer from the last windows update often works. Use Windows system restore to bring your computer back to an earlier point in time.

aboutime
12-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Most IP's provide Firewall, and Virus protection as part of their system to protect their own servers.

I have two sources. The one from COX....(my IP) which is McAfee, and those provided by Windows 7, Microsoft.

They update almost every day, and I haven't seen any problems. The Cookies installed by some Virus protection services WILL disappear when clearing Cache, or History. But the intention is...to make you replace those with a PAY-FOR service, upgrade.

Robert A Whit
12-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Most IP's provide Firewall, and Virus protection as part of their system to protect their own servers.

I have two sources. The one from COX....(my IP) which is McAfee, and those provided by Windows 7, Microsoft.

They update almost every day, and I haven't seen any problems. The Cookies installed by some Virus protection services WILL disappear when clearing Cache, or History. But the intention is...to make you replace those with a PAY-FOR service, upgrade.

There is the pair of windows at the top of my system.. The one that is far left lets me get to a site and not being effected by the redirect. I call it a virus but I believe it is called a root kit. Those are most often not detected by virus programs. What I would like is the actual site shown to me that I can copy and paste to the upper left window. Trying to use the other window sends me to the redirect kit.

As to using Firefox, maybe it's time to try that too.

Gaffer
12-16-2012, 11:06 PM
There is the pair of windows at the top of my system.. The one that is far left lets me get to a site and not being effected by the redirect. I call it a virus but I believe it is called a root kit. Those are most often not detected by virus programs. What I would like is the actual site shown to me that I can copy and paste to the upper left window. Trying to use the other window sends me to the redirect kit.

As to using Firefox, maybe it's time to try that too.

As I said, try tazir root kit. You can google the site and it's a free download. Only businesses have to pay. The IE browser is the most targeted browser there is when it comes to virus and redirects. Running a different browser like firefox will eliminate that problem. Tazir will also allow you to shut down hackers and anyone getting into your computer from a back door. I would also recommend CCleaner. It will clean out your cache files and other files used for the internet and it will clean all browsers you have been running. And it's free. The best anti-virus program I have found is called AVG. It's also free.