PDA

View Full Version : Mass school bombing in 1927

jimnyc
12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
So let's assume some got their way and guns were banned. Would it have prevented a tragedy like in Ct. of last week? Maybe, but doubtful. People who want to kill will find a way to kill.

The Sandy Hook tragedy in Connecticut has horrified Americans and in some cases, opened up wounds from a similar disaster in 1927 that have yet to heal.

Aftermath of the Bath disaster. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

On Friday, a deranged gunman killed himself and 26 other people at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. The dead included 20 students, and the act sparked mass mourning and outrage worldwide.

The debate over the Sandy Hook tragedy has also led to discussions about gun control, mental illness, and the media’s role in covering such a horrific story.

In particular, the debate over assault weapons and the Second Amendment will be brought to the forefront in 2013. President Barack Obama pretty much said so at a public memorial event on Sunday night.

But what if such a terrible even happened in a different time? How would people have reacted, and would there be such a public outrage or intense debate about constitutional issues?

On May 18, 1927, a part-time caretaker at a school in Bath, Michigan, killed 45 people, including 38 children, when he blew up a school and then killed himself, along with two first responders at the scene. Another 58 people were wounded.

The 38 children were in grades three through six.

The Bath School Bombing faded quickly from history. What media there was in 1927 left the town after about a week, since aviator Charles Lindbergh had started on his flight to Europe.

However, there are parallels between the Sandy Hook and Bath disasters that are worth discussing.

The killer in the Bath School Bombing, Andrew Kehoe, spent months placing explosives inside the school. He used his job as a handyman to wire together two types of explosives, in an elaborate plan to bring down the building while it was occupied with students and teachers.

Kehoe also rigged his car with explosives and shrapnel, as well as his house.

Once Kehoe blew up his own house, he used a detonator to blow up part of the school. School Superintendent Emory Huyck performed heroically, rescuing children and adults from the disaster scene. After about 30 minutes, Kehoe drove up to Huyck and motioned him over to his truck.

Kehoe then blew up the truck, killing himself, Hucyk, and several others, including a child who survived the first blast.

http://news.yahoo.com/mass-school-bombing-1927-puts-sandy-hook-context-185608674.html

jafar00
12-18-2012, 09:24 PM
How did the scumbag get a gun in the first place?

His mother was a gun nut. If she didn't have an arsenal at home, he probably wouldn't have been able to get a gun and her and a lot of little children would still be alive.

Gun control is needed. If the country wasn't awash with guns, you wouldn't have so many tragedies to deal with would you?

tailfins
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM

His mother was a gun nut. If she didn't have an arsenal at home, he probably wouldn't have been able to get a gun and her and a lot of little children would still be alive.

Gun control is needed. If the country wasn't awash with guns, you wouldn't have so many tragedies to deal with would you?

So many? Out of 300 million people, how many gun tragedies occur per year?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Except that muslims do not obey such laws.. right Jafar..
You know that muslim ignore such infidel laws. That gives them increased power. So us where you have called for the disarming of Hamas , maybe then you can talk about gun control.
Gun control is really about proper form , breathing just right and squeezing the trigger just right, not yanking it.;)

jimnyc
12-18-2012, 09:43 PM

That was the entire point of my reference. That even if the country wasn't awash in guns, a tragedy can still happen, so long as you have someone who wants to kill.

And this kid STOLE the weapons, as they were bought and held legally by his mother. Irresponsible for him to have such easy access from what it sounds, but for all I know he somehow robbed her room and took the keys to a locked cabinet. Too early to tell. But from everything I have read, I see no reason to see this woman as a "nut" or that she held any type of arsenal. Sounds like a typical woman that is into guns, and had a son that went nutso and killed her with them, and far many more after the fact. But he just as easily could have stabbed her in the head and made a fiery hell in the classroom and locked the doors. A sicko that wants to kill is going to kill. Hell, had he went the route of a fairly large bomb, it could have been MANY more.

And yes, unfortunately we would still be dealing with tragedies even if a single gun didn't exist. The world will always have people looking to commit evil acts, for whatever sick reasons, and the tools they choose to accomplish it isn't the problem, but THEY are.

logroller
12-19-2012, 01:29 AM

You don't know his mother, so I think it's presumptuous to say she was a nut. As far as the US being awash with guns; its worth noting that mass murderers always target unarmed groups. Find a mass killing that has occurred against an armed population. On top of that, the majority kill themselves when someone with a gun shows up. If more people had guns for defense it would save lives; there's nothing more defensive than a readied offense.

Voted4Reagan
12-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Apply that logic to Gaza and HAMAS before you dictate your spew to America...

We really cant take you seriously on Gun Control when Hamas (Whom you support) blows up schools loaded with Israeli kids as well as other places they can be harmed...

You're a total Hypocrite....

How many Israeli kids were killed it the 2 intifadahs and by Rocket and Suicide Bomber attacks in the last 20 years?

Dont preach to us... you are showing two faces... and hypocrisy in the name of Allah and his prophet (may peace be upon him) is not looked upon lightly: I quote SURA 63

1 When the hypocrites come to thee, they say, ‘We bear witness that thou art surely the Apostle of God;’ but God knows that thou art His Apostle: and God bears witness that the hypocrites are liars! 2 They take their faith for a cloak, and then they turn folks from God’s way: evil is that which they have done! 3 That is because they believed and then disbelieved, wherefore is a stamp set on their hearts so that they do not understand!

4 And when thou seest them, their persons please thee; but if they speak, thou listenest to their speech: they are like timber propped up: they reckon every noise against them! They are the foe, so beware of them!-God fight against them, how they lie! 5 And when it is said to them, ‘Come, and the Apostle of God will ask forgiveness for you! they turn away their heads, and thou mayest see them turning away since they are so big with pride! 6 It is the same to them whether thou dost ask forgiveness for them, or whether thou dost not ask forgiveness for them, God will not forgive them; verily, God guides not a people who work abomination!

7 They it is who say, ‘Expend not in alms upon those who are with the Apostle of God, in order that they may desert him!’-but God’s are the treasures of the heavens and the earth; but the hypocrites have no sense!

8 They say, ‘If we return to Madina, the mightier will surely drive out the meaner therefrom;’ but to God belongs the might, and to His Apostle and to the believers; but the hypocrites do not know! 9 O ye who believe! let not your property nor your children divert you from the remembrance of God,- for whosoever does that, they are those who lose!

10 But expend in alms of what we have bestowed upon you before death come on any one of you, and he says, ‘My Lord! wouldst thou but have respited me till an appointed time nigh at hand, then would I surely give in charity and be among the righteous!’ 11 But God will never respite a soul when its appointed time has come: and God of what ye do is well aware!

MtnBiker
12-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Find a mass killing that has occurred against an armed population. On top of that, the majority kill themselves when someone with a gun shows up. If more people had guns for defense it would save lives; there's nothing more defensive than a readied offense.

Well that son of a bitch Nidal Hasan killed 13 people in Fort Hood. Unfortunately that sack of shit is still breathing.

I wonder what kind of gun control law Biden's task force is going to suggest for an Army base?

jimnyc
12-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I wonder what kind of gun control law Biden's task force is going to suggest for an Army base?

Let's look at Biden's stance just 4 years ago about the possibility of Obama taking away guns:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XcyLeOm6yGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jimnyc
12-19-2012, 02:08 PM
And Harry Reid:

“I had a lot of bad people after me and I carried a gun every place I went. . . But for me, guns are more than that. In fact, the most important part of guns as far as I’m concerned in my personal life is the recreational aspect of guns.”

http://freedomslighthouse.net/2012/12/18/democratic-senate-majority-leader-harry-reid-in-2010-extolled-the-virtues-of-guns-i-carried-a-gun-every-place-i-went-but-for-me-guns-are-more-than-that-about-self-defense-video-2010/

Kathianne
12-19-2012, 02:14 PM
And Harry Reid:

“I had a lot of bad people after me and I carried a gun every place I went. . . But for me, guns are more than that. In fact, the most important part of guns as far as I’m concerned in my personal life is the recreational aspect of guns.”

http://freedomslighthouse.net/2012/12/18/democratic-senate-majority-leader-harry-reid-in-2010-extolled-the-virtues-of-guns-i-carried-a-gun-every-place-i-went-but-for-me-guns-are-more-than-that-about-self-defense-video-2010/

Very much reminds me of Bloomberg and others that want to trash the 2nd amendment for 'the common folk' but haven't a problem with themselves being protected by auto weapons carried by their security teams. That includes the idiots from both political world and Hollywood.