PDA

View Full Version : American pastor imprisoned without notice of charges while visiting family in Iran

tailfins
12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/19/american-pastor-imprisoned-without-notice-charges-while-visiting-family-in-iran/

Thunderknuckles
12-19-2012, 11:14 AM
No surprise there. Pretty soon we'll be jailing people in this country for singing Christmas Carols.

Kathianne
12-19-2012, 11:18 AM
I understand about family, but he knew Iran was under S'haria, he should not have gone into the country again, unless he's seeking martyrdom. There are times to acknowledge the differences between countries, this was one of them.

Marcus Aurelius
12-19-2012, 02:35 PM
No surprise there. Pretty soon we'll be jailing people in this country for singing Christmas Carols.

"holiday" carols. Wouldn't want to offend the atheists, now would you?

Marcus Aurelius
12-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I understand about family, but he knew Iran was under S'haria, he should not have gone into the country again, unless he's seeking martyrdom. There are times to acknowledge the differences between countries, this was one of them.

according to the link, he signed an agreement to cease all religious activities, and did so, and the government agreed to leave him alone. They changed their minds it seems.

Kathianne
12-19-2012, 02:46 PM
according to the link, he signed an agreement to cease all religious activities, and did so, and the government agreed to leave him alone. They changed their minds it seems.

and that would surprise him, why?

Marcus Aurelius
12-19-2012, 03:07 PM
and that would surprise him, why?

yeah, my first thought as well.

DragonStryk72
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
I find it interesting that they are violating their own Constitution in this act.

jafar00
12-20-2012, 04:51 AM
It doesn't surprised me that Iran would do this. On the other hand, Saeed was a bit stupid for proselytising in a country where it may be illegal to do so. My father did the same in Malaysia a while back and he was fully aware of the consequences and was prepared to be jailed for the offence. I'm guessing Saeed knew it as well. It doesn't make sense to go overseas to purposely break the law and expect to get away with it whether you agree with the law or not.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 05:18 AM
I find it interesting that they are violating their own Constitution in this act.

Is there anything in their Constitution having to do with S'haria law? God's law, as interpreted by their holy men will always trump 'man's laws.' Worked in setting up the rule of kings, works with setting up the imams.

DragonStryk72
12-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Is there anything in their Constitution having to do with S'haria law? God's law, as interpreted by their holy men will always trump 'man's laws.' Worked in setting up the rule of kings, works with setting up the imams.

Actually, I got that from the article. Apparently, their Constitution does allow for "religious freedom", though they certainly don't seem to care much about that right this moment. If things are continuing like this, I see a civil war in Iran's not-too-distant future.

tailfins
12-20-2012, 10:53 AM
It doesn't surprised me that Iran would do this. On the other hand, Saeed was a bit stupid for proselytising in a country where it may be illegal to do so. My father did the same in Malaysia a while back and he was fully aware of the consequences and was prepared to be jailed for the offence. I'm guessing Saeed knew it as well. It doesn't make sense to go overseas to purposely break the law and expect to get away with it whether you agree with the law or not.

So exactly where in the Muslim world can a practicing Christian go and not be persecuted? I would consider taking risks like those once I am 70 years old when no one is depending on me anymore.