PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Be Interesting Weather Here Today

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 05:33 AM
It's pouring out right now, 42 degrees. Later the weather service says that the winds will start picking up, temps will drop. After an inch or so of rain falls, it will turn quickly to snow, around 5 pm. :rolleyes: I will not be out and about then. 2-6" is the predictions. The words I do not like, "possible thundersnow.' The winds this evening are supposed to be a steady 35-40, gusting into the 50's. Brrrr. Tomorrow we will not get out of the 20's.

fj1200
12-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Sweet, sounds like fun. I remember being in Chicago one winter, going into the Museum of Science and Industry and coming out in a blizzard. Shifted the Jimmy into 4WD and made our way out to the suburbs.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Sweet, sounds like fun. I remember being in Chicago one winter, going into the Museum of Science and Industry and coming out in a blizzard. Shifted the Jimmy into 4WD and made our way out to the suburbs.

I'm about 45 miles west of the loop, western suburbs. We are usually 5-10 degrees colder than the city in winter; opposite when hot. So the snow will likely start here earlier.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Just check the weather service, no increase in snow, but now they are saying sustained winds in 40's-50's, gusts to 60. Combine that with thundersnow?

tailfins
12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I remember sleeping in my car near Shedd Aquarium. Earlier I was watching these guys fishing, yelling "police boat", running back to their van, then back to fishing. I think they were catching salmon. Later a Chicago cop knocked on my window, telling what I was doing wasn't safe. He offered to let me use the precinct parking lot. Pretty nice, really.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I remember sleeping in my car near Shedd Aquarium. Earlier I was watching these guys fishing, yelling "police boat", running back to their van, then back to fishing. I think they were catching salmon. Later a Chicago cop knocked on my window, telling what I was doing wasn't safe. He offered to let me use the precinct parking lot. Pretty nice, really.

That would be Montrose harbor I think. Not the safest place at night. Chicago police are overall pretty good, though often will take bribes.

Abbey Marie
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Sounds a lot like a Dead lyric from Sugar Magnolia: "jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive"

Sweet memories... :cool:

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Sounds a lot like a Dead lyric from Sugar Magnolia: "jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive"

Sweet memories... :cool:

LOL! The Great Lakes has 'interesting weather', no doubt about that. The Christmas my daughter was 2, it was in the 70's for Christmas Day. Next day was in teens, 2 days later, near 18 inches of snow.

We've had gorgeous spring mornings, turn into rains of massive flood proportions within an hour.

Right now it's extremely dark, but only thing moving on trees is one leaf, hanging by a thread. When they say the winds will be up around 50's and 60's a couple hours from now, it's more than likely. Slate grey sky with nothing moving.

fj1200
12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Ah yes, lake effect snow in SW MI... I knew thee well and miss ye a bit.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 01:59 PM
That leaf, it just fell. :laugh:

Robert A Whit
12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I have been into ILL just a few miles up the highway from St. Louis where I spent the night. Turned back to St. Louis in the AM and never been back to Ill.

I was there when McVey got executed. I use that to recall what part of the season it was. In MO I saw some downpours to wash your car away. We seldom have those in CA. But I have been in super heavy rains in my state too so I am not saying it does not happen.

I enjoy the snow I can drive to. Chains are a pain and then at one time I had snow tires. However pretty snow is, it comes with other things, such as storms and high winds. Germany with the snow as I recall it did not have high winds. Maybe they do have high winds but as I think it over, I just don't recall any high winds. And I can't recall thunder or lightning there either. I recall it the other places I have gone.

Oh by the way, it has got down into the 30s here and for this area that is cold. No rain in the past few days but by this weekend I think some will show up. When it rains 1/3 of an inch, we got wet. I am blessed to live in a part of the Bay Area of the least rain. We have 9 micro climates here I understand.

Take those in Marin County, much to my north, they get a lot of rain. Multiples of what we get.

Damn, now I have some research to do. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
That leaf, it just fell. :laugh:

Lol! I just pictured that last little holdout, giving up.

I saw a fox behind our house today, just sunning him/herself on a rock for a few mintues. Totally made my day!

I think your weather is sort of heading here. In the early morning hours, we are supposed to get a ton of rain and up to 60mph rain. Yuk.