PDA

View Full Version : Gift advice for boys? I only know about girls.

Abbey Marie
12-20-2012, 06:28 PM
We will be seeing two young nephews (9 and 7), after Christmas, and I need advice on a gift.
I bought a nerf gun for them both. They will have to share, in other words. It was pretty expensive (pump action, the nerf discs glow in the dark). Is this a fun gift for that age, and am I crazy thinking they can share such a thing? I really don't want to have to buy two of them.

aboutime
12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Abbey. Four of our grandson's are that age, or lower. They all seem to be into LEGO building, cars, trucks, houses, almost everything you can imagine.

And TOYS-R-US...runs out really fast. Time isn't on your side. Don't know about the NERF guns, but all guns are pretty much out these days.

Good luck.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 06:43 PM
We will be seeing two young nephews (9 and 7), after Christmas, and I need advice on a gift.
I bought a nerf gun for them both. They will have to share, in other words. It was pretty expensive (pump action, the nerf discs glow in the dark). Is this a fun gift for that age, and am I crazy thinking they can share such a thing? I really don't wan to have to buy two of them.

Abbey, I'm sure they will love it. If memory serves though, Nerf has many alternatives with at least two 'guns', sorry for being so un-pc. I had 3 kids and the daughter wished to be included in mayhem, so always had to buy at least two sets. One for a guest. ;)

It's pretty difficult to play with one gun.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Abbey. Four of our grandson's are that age, or lower. They all seem to be into LEGO building, cars, trucks, houses, almost everything you can imagine.

And TOYS-R-US...runs out really fast. Time isn't on your side. Don't know about the NERF guns, but all guns are pretty much out these days.

Good luck.

anything with building goes over big. Legos or blocks of any sort.

DragonStryk72
12-20-2012, 07:33 PM
I bought a nerf gun for them both. They will have to share, in other words. It was pretty expensive (pump action, the nerf discs glow in the dark). Is this a fun gift for that age, and am I crazy thinking they can share such a thing? I really don't want to have to buy two of them.

Actually, it would likely be a better idea to go for two slightly cheaper models. Cool as the single Nerf gun is, being a boy, and a sibling, it's pretty much asking for a fight with only one.

fj1200
12-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Actually, it would likely be a better idea to go for two slightly cheaper models. Cool as the single Nerf gun is, and a boy, and a sibling, it's pretty much asking for a fight with only one.

Definitely. My almost 10 year old is getting one and we have some others if the almost 6 year old gets jealous.

Abbey, you might want to include some extra "bullets" for the stocking.

Robert A Whit
12-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Abbey, should you go for Leggos, check with me and I will put you in touch with my oldest daughter. She is an expert vs Leggos. She raised her boys on leggos and buys and sells them.

She also deals in the hard to get Leggos. She and her husband take their boys to S. Cal to the Leggo plant and leggo land.

Abbey Marie
12-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Well, I already bought the one expensive nerf gun, so Leggos are out for now. If the gun is a good gift for those ages, I guess I need to get another one. :p

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, I already bought the one expensive nerf gun, so Legos are out for now. If the gun is a good gift for those ages, I guess I need to get another one. :p

Abbey, if I were you, I'd take the expensive one back and go for one that gives two guns or go with legos. One gun? Two boys? Doesn't work. The cheaper the better, imo. As I said, I remember in those 'trying years,' getting two nerf sets, for 3 kids. One gun left over for a 'friend.'

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Abbey, if I were you, I'd take the expensive one back and go for one that gives two guns or go with leggos. One gun? Two boys? Doesn't work. The cheaper the better, imo. As I said, I remember in those 'trying years,' getting two nerf sets, for 3 kids. One gun left over for a 'friend.'

I agree , I had to share toys as a kid because we were so poor, it suxs big time, it really does.. . Go with the less costly TWO guns. Please don't make them share.. By the way the toy guns were a good choice! I've been buying toy guns for my nephews for years, never got anything but happy thanks from them. Upgraded to BB- guns when they were older, of course with their parents permission. Bought my favorite nephew his first shotgun too , a nice pump 410 ga. He is 38 years old now still has it and says he'll never part with it! -Tyr

aboutime
12-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, I already bought the one expensive nerf gun, so Leggos are out for now. If the gun is a good gift for those ages, I guess I need to get another one. :p

Abbey. You asked for help. I thought you hadn't decided on any gift then. Lego's get more expensive each year.
My oldest grandson switched his attention from Electronic games to Lego's. Has quite a few different small sets, even has a Complete Firehouse, with the firetrucks all built from Lego.

Hope they like their Nerf guns. Outside...if the weather is nice. But the Lego work anytime.

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 08:26 PM

I just saw that you were saying to get a second. If it's more than you were planning to spend, look around a bit. I found boys toys much less expensive than girls. My daughter was into 'American Girls' when the driving force was the author, not the 'company.' Still and all, very expensive.

Special lego kits were the only 'expensive deal' with the boys, with exception of British Museum for dinosaurs, likely not of interest of boys your nephews ages.

DragonStryk72
12-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Abbey, if I were you, I'd take the expensive one back and go for one that gives two guns or go with legos. One gun? Two boys? Doesn't work. The cheaper the better, imo. As I said, I remember in those 'trying years,' getting two nerf sets, for 3 kids. One gun left over for a 'friend.'

Yeah, basically, whoever gets the gun first is going to be like, "let the hunt begin!". My mom believed in making certainly all of us were equivalently armed.

jimnyc
12-20-2012, 09:06 PM

At that age I think you would be fine. Depends on how competitive they are with one another. Sometimes a man needs to defend himself. :poke:

Nah, they'll be fine, and at that age that's an awesome gift!

jimnyc
12-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah, basically, whoever gets the gun first is going to be like, "let the hunt begin!". My mom believed in making certainly all of us were equivalently armed.

That's true. I remember me and my 2 brothers. We were all generally punished before gift opening was over. LOL I remember getting crappy 'ol dart guns, that were just suction cups. Oh man, GAME ON! You were fair game even if sleeping!

DragonStryk72
12-20-2012, 09:12 PM
That's true. I remember me and my 2 brothers. We were all generally punished before gift opening was over. LOL I remember getting crappy 'ol dart guns, that were just suction cups. Oh man, GAME ON! You were fair game even if sleeping!

Yeah, Heather had a Scorched Earth policy. No kidding, she would pre-fill her super soaker tanks and leave them in the fridge till they were "needed". Nothing like a 5am wake-up call using ice water to the chest.

cadet
12-20-2012, 09:15 PM
If they're dorks like my little bro; I've gotten him a fadora, sunglasses with mirrors on the sides, stupid hats, fake mustaches, bow ties, etc.
Else, look into anything swiss-army-knife/whatever. There's these cool little key's that have 10 tools on them.

If all else fails, video games. No matter the age!

Robert A Whit
12-20-2012, 10:30 PM

I can't recall my grandsons playing with toy guns, but I did as a boy. And guess what?

I have never gone to a school or theater and shot one up. Matter of fact, though I have fired many guns, never shot at a human. Point being that playing with toy guns won't turn a kid into a shooter.

I recall that as a boy, there had to be a story attached such as one kid was the cowboy that chased the indians.

Abbey Marie
12-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

I just bought another Nerf gun, so it's all done now. And they'd better like them! :laugh2: And not chase me!

aboutime
12-21-2012, 03:44 PM

I just bought another Nerf gun, so it's all done now. And they'd better like them! :laugh2:

​Merry Christmas....Abbey!

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 04:57 PM

I just bought another Nerf gun, so it's all done now. And they'd better like them! :laugh2: And not chase me!

But-- but .....LMAO

If they shoot at you, how can you blame them since you made the purchase?

Besides, do those things hurt? If they do, that should have been a consideration. I doubt they hurt you though.:laugh:

Oh yes, Merry Christmas and happy new year. To all of you.

Trigg
12-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Good idea!! I was going to say. IF they live in the same house you better get two, they'll need to defend themselves after all lol.

The good thing is their birthdays will be easy. They'll loose enough "ammo" that they'll need more, those are cheap.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM

Great. My son has four or five different nerf pistols and rifles. He loves them and they do not hurt when shot with one. Your nephews are gonna thank you bigtime Im sure!!-Tyr

Abbey Marie
12-22-2012, 04:00 PM
I hope this gives them a little bit of happiness. I just found out their parents will be divorcing. :( I am devastated.

Robert A Whit
12-22-2012, 04:31 PM
I hope this gives them a little bit of happiness. I just found out their parents will be divorcing. :( I am devastated.

So sad.

If either parent is a poor parent, and the household has a lot of turmoil, given time, children recover. When mom remarried, she swapped a bum for a real man. A man who assumed a family with 5 kids and he never let us down. The bum she had married did not engage in fights with mom that I recall, but he sure did not want to take care of a family.

So sorry to hear this potential bad news.

Abbey Marie
12-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Apparently there was ongoing infidelity. On the wife's part.
Once again, a marriage that looked good from the outside.
I often say, "You never know what goes on behind closed doors", whether it be a marriage or a whole dysfunctional family situation. But once again, I was shocked to hear the news.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I often say, "You never know what goes on behind closed doors", whether it be a marriage or a whole defunctional family situation. But once again, I was shocked to hear the news.

Sad to hear certainly more so because of the children being a part of it. Of the last 9 divorces that I knew of from friends and family including my own 8 years ago 7 of the 9 were due to the wife cheating. I do not know how widespread the trend is but seems to me that the women have decided to outdo the men in that kind of trash. -Tyr

aboutime
12-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Sad to hear certainly more so because of the children being a part of it. Of the last 9 divorces that I knew of from friends and family including my own 8 years ago 7 of the 9 were due to the wife cheating. I do not know how widespread the trend is but seems to me that the women have decided to outdo the men in that kind of trash. -Tyr

As someone who is nearly married 44 years this coming March. It would be a lie to say everything has always been Rosy, and Friendly over those years. We have had our bad times. But managed to always get over the differences because WE NEVER LIED to one-another, about anything. And we learned....early on. The most common problem every married couple has....bar none....is MONEY, and the LACK OF IT.
We overcame those problems. And thankfully. Our Two son's have never known a home with only ONE Parent...other than during the times I was deployed overseas.

Bottom line of all Divorces....THE CHILDREN ARE ALWAYS THE VICTIMS. The couple MUST ALWAYS place the children FIRST.

Has something to do with LOVE, HONESTY, and MUTUAL RESPECT.

SassyLady
12-23-2012, 02:35 AM
My divorce had nothing to do with cheating by either spouse, and had nothing to do with money. It had to do with being separated so much by husband's commitment to the military that we had nothing in common any longer. We loved each other, but didn't like each other. No children and because we did love each other, we thought it would be better to find someone we did like to spend the rest of our lives with.

Plain and simple ... not all divorces are due to ugliness. Sometimes it's because you care enough about each other that you want that person to be happy, and you know you can't make them happy and be happy yourself.

As for the topic of what to purchase for boys .... anything connected to the latest movie that is popular. Transformers, Spiderman, Ironman .... etc.

DragonStryk72
12-23-2012, 04:21 AM
My divorce had nothing to do with cheating by either spouse, and had nothing to do with money. It had to do with being separated so much by husband's commitment to the military that we had nothing in common any longer. We loved each other, but didn't like each other. No children and because we did love each other, we thought it would be better to find someone we did like to spend the rest of our lives with.

Plain and simple ... not all divorces are due to ugliness. Sometimes it's because you care enough about each other that you want that person to be happy, and you know you can't make them happy and be happy yourself.

As for the topic of what to purchase for boys .... anything connected to the latest movie that is popular. Transformers, Spiderman, Ironman .... etc.

See, that's where I'd have walked away from Navy. There a lot of things I'm willing to sacrifice, but not family. Then there's legs and butt witing for me at home, and really, the military just ain't gonna win that one, lol.

Robert A Whit
12-23-2012, 12:28 PM
I often say, "You never know what goes on behind closed doors", whether it be a marriage or a whole defunctional family situation. But once again, I was shocked to hear the news.

I am not saying men don't cheat, but where I live, I find women love to cheat when in a relationship. Maybe it's CA. I dunno. Sorry it happned in your family.

My first wife was a cheater. My last wife was not.

Robert A Whit
12-23-2012, 12:41 PM

I have handled real estate matters for those getting divorced. in over 40 yers, one was like yours. The rest were for various reasons.

I had a fire chief in my office weeping that he and his wife were about to divorce. I asked him if he wanted to say why. Seems that to his wife, he was just too silent. Well, he hated divorce and both fooled around. Later they got back together and were married I believe.

Then I got hit with that divorce virus. My wife cheated. I tried to forgive and forget but she kept cheating. Believe it or not, she was the one to file. And it was not over money. She was a fanatic for attention. She put the new lover above our daughter and wanted me to raise our daughter. I got custody and did just that.

SassyLady
12-23-2012, 03:27 PM
See, that's where I'd have walked away from Navy. There a lot of things I'm willing to sacrifice, but not family. Then there's legs and butt witing for me at home, and really, the military just ain't gonna win that one, lol.

I was willing to be a military wife for the first 20 for retirement purposes ... but when he wanted to stay in and end his career as a State CSM ... I wasn't willing to give up that more of MY life for the military. Way too political at that level ... plus I am 11 years older and didn't want to spend the first 10 years of my retired life waiting for him to be free.

He is so committed to the military that he will be teaching ROTC soon and has remarried ... to an E8. They are totally committed to service so they are perfect for each other.

Now, I have friends my age, who are retired and just want to "meander" around for awhile. ;)

Voted4Reagan
12-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Next year get them a full set of Drums and Cymbals...

Mom and Dad will love you

aboutime
12-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Next year get them a full set of Drums and Cymbals...

Mom and Dad will love you

Sax, or Trumpet...or all of the Brass, and Woodwinds are ALSO perfect Gifts for the Parents you NEVER VISIT!

DragonStryk72
12-24-2012, 12:12 AM
I was willing to be a military wife for the first 20 for retirement purposes ... but when he wanted to stay in and end his career as a State CSM ... I wasn't willing to give up that more of MY life for the military. Way too political at that level ... plus I am 11 years older and didn't want to spend the first 10 years of my retired life waiting for him to be free.

He is so committed to the military that he will be teaching ROTC soon and has remarried ... to an E8. They are totally committed to service so they are perfect for each other.

Now, I have friends my age, who are retired and just want to "meander" around for awhile. ;)

lol, still