PDA

View Full Version : Mom and Dad - is Santa Claus real?

jimnyc
12-20-2012, 09:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VNCSs.png

Kathianne
12-20-2012, 09:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VNCSs.png

That is very good. On level of Virginia response? (http://www.newseum.org/yesvirginia/) Not taking bets.

aboutime
12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Beautiful letter.

What I find just as beautiful is. On Christmas afternoon. When all five of our grandchildren are here. For the first time in three years.

Four of them will still be excited, happy, and enjoying the day because SANTA CLAUS arrived at their homes, earlier in the day.

And who AM I To tell them ANYTHING ELSE????

Voted4Reagan
12-20-2012, 10:05 PM

DragonStryk72
12-20-2012, 11:19 PM
The letter, while touching, is also inaccurate. St. Nicholas (Where the mythos comes from), was very much a real, historical person, and we carry on from those traditions, all the way back to the 3rd century. In that time, his name passed through many cultures and languages. So yes, Santa Claus was a real person, and we celebrate him every year at Christmas Time.

KarlMarx
12-20-2012, 11:55 PM
The letter, while touching, is also inaccurate. St. Nicholas (Where the mythos comes from), was very much a real, historical person, and we carry on from those traditions, all the way back to the 3rd century. In that time, his name passed through many cultures and languages. So yes, Santa Claus was a real person, and we celebrate him every year at Christmas Time.

Exactly. St. Nicholas was the Bishop of Myra. He apparently took Christ's teaching about giving in secret to heart (from the Sermon of the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew). In spite of his efforts, he became well known for giving money to the poor. The most famous of these legends had to do with a poor man who had 3 daughters. He was too poor to afford dowries for them. Back in those days, an unmarried woman became a prostitute in order to make ends meet. To spare them this fate, St Nicholas secretly gave the man three bags of gold on three different nights. On the third night, the poor man discovered who his benefactor was and the rest, they say, is history (or legend as the case may be).

We can all learn something from good old St Nick... give in secret, help others without hope of repayment, for such is the kingdom of God!

jimnyc
12-20-2013, 03:50 PM
bump. The opening letter is still awesome, as is the one that Kath linked to, and the additional information is cool from Dragon and Karl. :)

aboutime
12-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Wow. A full year later, and now. WE have SIX grandkids instead of the five last year.

Sadly. The oldest boy...now 11. Admitted he knew about Santa, since he is in the 6th grade, and the other kids in his school just play along with their parents.

But has promised NOT to spoil it for the others.

No matter how distorted our Politically Incorrect world is becoming. It's just terrible, and a miserable thing to TAKE ALL THE JOY of being YOUNG away from out kids...because...WE ADULTS are OFFENDED, INSULTED, and Just Plain UGLY, MISERABLE human beings.

jimnyc
12-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I had not even realized that this thread was one year ago 'exactly'.

aboutime
12-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I had not even realized that this thread was one year ago 'exactly'.

I had forgotten about it Jim. Wonders really do...Never cease???