PDA

View Full Version : Police to stop anybody and everybody for just walking even..

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-20-2012, 10:57 PM
http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/2012/12/paragould-arkansas-police-to-check-everyones-id-in-2013-2472032.html

(Before It's News) (http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/2012/12/paragould-arkansas-police-to-check-everyones-id-in-2013-2472032.html)
by Michael Allen, Opposing Views (http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/paragould-arkansas-police-check-everyones-id-2013):
http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300x250/featured_image/swatparagould.png At a town hall meeting, last Thursday, Mayor Mike Gaskill and Police Chief Todd Stovall endorsed a plan to send police in SWAT gear and carrying AR-15s into downtown Paragould, Arkansas starting in 2013, reports the Paragould Daily Press.
Chief Stovall told the Paragould Daily Press: “This fear is what’s given us the reason to do this. Once I have stats and people saying they’re scared, we can do this. It allows us to do what we’re fixing to do. If you’re out walking, we’re going to stop you, ask why you’re out walking, check for your ID.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These officials are crazy. Completely unconstitutional what they plan on doing. Its not a joke its a real policy they plan on implementing. Haven't checked yet but I bet the mayor is a dem!
Out walking your dog, police will stop you demand your ID and ask why you are walking down the street!-Tyr

Marcus Aurelius
12-20-2012, 11:58 PM
let's give them the benefit of the doubt... for now anyway.

http://christiannews.net/2012/12/19/new-arkansas-armed-crimes-unit-to-require-those-on-street-to-produce-identification/

In response to concerns from residents, the Paragould Police Department issued a statement to further explain the reasons for its actions.

“Once an area has been identified as a high crime neighborhood, the select group of officers will saturate the area in an attempt to curb the criminal behavior that is plaguing that particular neighborhood,” it explained. “Officers will accomplish this in a variety of different methods. Officers will be working to identify residents in the affected area so that we can better serve our affected neighborhoods. Most often, this identification process will be nothing more than making contact with a subject, handing them a business card, and asking if they live in the area and if there’s anything we can do for them.”

“During hours in which crime seems to be more prevalent (i.e. between the hours of 11pm and 5 am), our process will become more stringent. We will be asking for picture identification,” the department continued. “We will be ascertaining where the subject lives and what they are doing in the area. We will be keeping a record of those we contact.”

Police also responded to citizen concerns by stating that it believes that the new crimes unit will be staying within the bounds of the Constitution.

“Many citizens, through various media outlets, have expressed a concern about the police ‘violating rights’ or ‘violating the Constitution.’ We have to abide by the same rules, regulations and laws that our citizens do. We are not out to violate anyone’s rights,” the department stated. “Once we have an area that shows a high crime rate or a high call volume, it is our duty and obligation to find out why this is occurring and what we can do to prevent the trend from continuing. Therefore, identifying subjects in those problem areas help us to solve crimes, and hopefully to prevent future crimes.”

Gaffer
12-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Sounds like a republican plan to curtail crime in high crime areas, that will soon be taken over by dems in jackboots.

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Sounds like a republican plan to curtail crime in high crime areas, that will soon be taken over by dems in jackboots.

Which is exactly why the Constitution is the standard. Save us from 'unintended consequences.'

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-21-2012, 09:20 AM

That it would be taken over and enlarged is my fear . Also it looks too much like citizens will be treated as if guilty with no evidence ! I've dealt with belligerent and Nazi like cops a few times, officers acting as if they own you. How about when the entire city gets labelled a high crime area?
Looks to me that this easily could be an early start on a jackboot program.
I think it will be challenged in court myself. Police in SWAT gear with military weapons walking the streets day and night isnt exactly the America that I've known all my life. I do not live there but have been there many times just not recently. When I see a redflag it is usually proven later to be a valid warning.. Time will tell on this but increased power , is still power and power has a tendency to corrupt.

Something seems fishy about this story. I'd like to find out if this is funded by some new federal program!
If it is then I will know where its heading and it will not be good..-Tyr

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
That it would be taken over and enlarged is my fear . Also it looks too much like citizens will be treated as if guilty with no evidence ! I've dealt with belligerent and Nazi like cops a few times, officers acting as if they own you. How about when the entire city gets labelled a high crime area?
Looks to me that this easily could be an early start on a jackboot program.
I think it will be challenged in court myself. Police in SWAT gear with military weapons walking the streets day and night isnt exactly the America that I've known all my life. I do not live there but have been there many times just not recently. When I see a redflag it is usually proven later to be a valid warning.. Time will tell on this but increased power , is still power and power has a tendency to corrupt.

Something seems fishy about this story. I'd like to find out if this is funded by some new federal program!
If it is then I will know where its heading and it will not be good..-Tyr

The whole idea is whacked and unconstitutional. The police do not have the power to stop any and all in a certain area, unless it's a crime scene. They cannot define a 'crime scene' as where one may be probable to happen.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-21-2012, 09:35 AM
The whole idea is whacked and unconstitutional. The police do not have the power to stop any and all in a certain area, unless it's a crime scene. They cannot define a 'crime scene' as where one may be probable to happen.

Exactly my premise, they can not say we are not treating you like you are guilty while they stop you and treat you like you are guilty of a crime. This rips way at our basic freedoms even at first glance that can be seen. I understand the police needing better results at stopping crime but this comes at too high a cost for the citizens because it certainly states the police can stop, detain you for questioning for having committed no offense at all. Probable cause be damned! If the funding for this comes from a federal source (follow the money) I'll know how bad it is and where its headed right away.. This has great potential to be abused all to hell! -Tyr

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Exactly my premise, they can not say we are not treating you like you are guilty while they stop you and treat you like you are guilty of a crime. This rips way at our basic freedoms even at first glance that can be seen. I understand the police needing better results at stopping crime but this comes at too high a cost for the citizens because it certainly states the police can stop, detain you for questioning for having committed no offense at all. Probable cause be damned! If the funding for this comes from a federal source (follow the money) I'll know how bad it is and where its headed right away.. This has great potential to be abused all to hell! -Tyr

If it's been reported, as it obviously has been, then ACLU or some other group will take this to court immediately. It will not go forward, it's blatantly unconstitutional.

Abbey Marie
12-21-2012, 09:43 AM
We've seen what can happen when a neighborhood watch tries to patrol an area. As bad as this seems, I'd guess I'd rather this to taking guns away from citizens. Ehh, they're both scary.

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 10:04 AM
We've seen what can happen when a neighborhood watch tries to patrol an area. As bad as this seems, I'd guess I'd rather this to taking guns away from citizens. Ehh, they're both scary.

Neighborhood watches work well throughout the country. This has nothing to do with gun control, it's a use of 'fear' to justify quasi military version of Marshall law. It will not stand.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-21-2012, 10:06 AM
If it's been reported, as it obviously has been, then ACLU or some other group will take this to court immediately. It will not go forward, it's blatantly unconstitutional.

One of the scary parts is that we have people thinking this is Constitutional and that is not a great attack upon our freedoms! Just because its a smaller city doesn't change the nature of it and give it justification to be tried. I've seen what bad cops can do firsthand myself and that wasn't even with having this kind of authority! Even if the intentions are good the most likely results are not IMHO.
I hope that its confronted in court by some other group because I despise the ACLU myself.--Tyr

Abbey Marie
12-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Neighborhood watches work well throughout the country. This has nothing to do with gun control, it's a use of 'fear' to justify quasi military version of Marshall law. It will not stand.

It does, in that it is easily posited an alternative to protecting ourselves.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-21-2012, 10:08 AM

^^^^^ DEAD ON ACCURATE !!!!!-Tyr

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 10:12 AM
It does, in that it is easily posited an alternative to protecting ourselves.

No more so than if I convince you that things are 'so bad' we need to kill people, to save the from the horrors to come. We're 'saints' sent to save others from disasters to come.

The premise is wrong.

Abbey Marie
12-21-2012, 10:22 AM
No more so than if I convince you that things are 'so bad' we need to kill people, to save the from the horrors to come. We're 'saints' sent to save others from disasters to come.

The premise is wrong.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's what is or will be said to justify it. And a gullible society might just buy into it.

tailfins
12-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Here's information from the source:

http://paragouldpolice.org/press_view.php?id=80&PHPSESSID=883636dfca615cd728104bcc5912d689

Most often, this identification process will be nothing more than making contact with a subject, handing them a business card, and asking if they live in the area and if there's anything we can do for them. During hours in which crime seems to be more prevalent (i.e. between the hours of 11pm and 5 am), our process will become more stringent. We will be asking for picture identification.

I'm happy to know the police there can see they are now under national scrutiny, even in Para-goo (which is how the locals pronounce it). I wonder what will happen if someone refuses to provide ID? The cops can ask until they are blue in the face; that doesn't mean you have to agree. The same goes with searches.

aboutime
12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/2012/12/paragould-arkansas-police-to-check-everyones-id-in-2013-2472032.html

(Before It's News) (http://beforeitsnews.com/economy/2012/12/paragould-arkansas-police-to-check-everyones-id-in-2013-2472032.html)
by Michael Allen, Opposing Views (http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/paragould-arkansas-police-check-everyones-id-2013):
http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/300x250/featured_image/swatparagould.png At a town hall meeting, last Thursday, Mayor Mike Gaskill and Police Chief Todd Stovall endorsed a plan to send police in SWAT gear and carrying AR-15s into downtown Paragould, Arkansas starting in 2013, reports the Paragould Daily Press.
Chief Stovall told the Paragould Daily Press: “This fear is what’s given us the reason to do this. Once I have stats and people saying they’re scared, we can do this. It allows us to do what we’re fixing to do. If you’re out walking, we’re going to stop you, ask why you’re out walking, check for your ID.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These officials are crazy. Completely unconstitutional what they plan on doing. Its not a joke its a real policy they plan on implementing. Haven't checked yet but I bet the mayor is a dem!
Out walking your dog, police will stop you demand your ID and ask why you are walking down the street!-Tyr

This is just one more step toward the implementation of the OBAMA plan. One state at a time. One city at a time.

Anyone who thinks it's a joke. Study the Constitution, and the 4TH Amendment carefully.

Obama and company are IGNORING it.

Gaffer
12-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Next step, curfews.

If the ACLU isn't all over this then they are even lower than I thought they were.

I suspect this is a federal test program to see how far they can push things and the precursor of things to come in other cities. They are getting ready for the gun control laws they intend to enact, whether through congress or EO.

A small town with a large SWAT contingent? I smell homeland security.

aboutime
12-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Next step, curfews.

If the ACLU isn't all over this then they are even lower than I thought they were.

I suspect this is a federal test program to see how far they can push things and the precursor of things to come in other cities. They are getting ready for the gun control laws they intend to enact, whether through congress or EO.

A small town with a large SWAT contingent? I smell homeland security.

Gaffer. I tend to suspect. The ACLU has been given instructions by the administration for HANDS OFF of this. It's a CIVIL matter.

If it is a test program. I suspect it may become the STRAW that breaks OBAMA's back...with Holder.

Obama and Holder have been actively circumventing Congress, and the Constitution.

It's gonna get worse before better.

And remember this......4183 isn't just an Expression anymore.

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 03:38 PM
If these cops are doing this in the wee hrs of the AM, seems to me they are doing the job set forth by their mayor. I believe the town backs the mayor.

Nuts claim this is done by Obama. That is pure nonsense.

One poster loves to post this all the time.

He and his brethern need to heed his own advice.

To wit: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29375.html)

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm betting the ACLU already sent a letter. There is a difference between 'pro-active' and a police state:

http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=620772

Paragould Police Chief Clarifies Proposed Changes to Street Crimes Unit <!--The Paragould Chief of Police is clarifying some proposed changes to the department that has stirred up some controversy.--> By: KARK 4 News Updated: December 21, 2012

The Paragould Chief of Police is clarifying some proposed changes to the department that has stirred up some controversy.

For 2013, Paragould Police proposed to have officers with rifles in high crime areas to ask people for identification, where they live and their purpose in the area.

Paragould Police since issued a release canceling the town hall meetings scheduled to discuss the proposition, and on Friday, Chief of Police Todd Stovall issued the following news release:

Over the last several days, my comments regarding the Paragould Police Department's efforts to combat crime and ensure public safety have been criticized. In light of these criticisms, clarification of police procedure is needed. I would also like to reassure the citizens of Paragould that the police department is committed to combating crime and ensuring public safety without violating citizens' constitutional rights. These commitments always drive the policy and practice of the Paragould police department.

With specific regard to the current operations of the police department, the department has long had a proactive police philosophy dedicated to managing problems before they become unmanageable. Consistent with this philosophy and my earlier comments, the police department will soon make more officers available in the east side of town. These officers will be there to combat the increasingly high crime rate, which will result in greater public safety. Necessarily, the increase in officers will increase the number of police-citizen encounters; these encounters, however, will be done within the bounds of the Constitution.

As an example, when suspicious activity is afoot and there is reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity is happening, officers will make contact with the individuals involved to combat any potential criminal activity. In cases where there is probable cause to believe a crime has already occurred, officers will arrest those who committed the crime - there will be zero-tolerance for criminals. It is in these instances alone in which officers will ask an individual to identify him/herself. Please let me reassure all citizens, these actions, as well as any other action taken by Paragould police officers, will be taken with the Constitutional rights of all citizens in mind.

As always, this department will operate with the highest respect for the citizens of our community while ensuring their safety. As has always been the case, actions taken by officers that violate individuals' constitutional rights will not be tolerated and will be dealt with accordingly.
Todd Stovall, Chief of Police
http://arkansasmatters.com/libraries/layout/assets/images/print.png (javascript:window.print();)

aboutime
12-21-2012, 03:52 PM
If these cops are doing this in the wee hrs of the AM, seems to me they are doing the job set forth by their mayor. I believe the town backs the mayor.

Nuts claim this is done by Obama. That is pure nonsense.

One poster loves to post this all the time.

He and his brethern need to heed his own advice.

To wit: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29375.html)

And LOOK at who "KEEPS SPEAKING OUT".
Robert. Whatever reasons you have in accusing me of being so hostile to you is....comical.
You really should start reading what you post, and explain why you are so angry at me. Accusing me of chasing you around,
and you are worried that I might need Anger Management???

Lighten up a bit. Have some fun. I'm not your enemy by any stretch of you imagination.

http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
D'oh, found on the link I just posted prior to this:

http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=620102

Proposed Changes to Paragould Street Crimes Unit Draws Concern from ACLU <!--A city's suggestion for assault rifle street patrols is raising concerns from the American Civil Liberties Union.--> By: KARK 4 News Updated: December 19, 2012

A city's suggestion for assault rifle street patrols is raising concerns from the American Civil Liberties Union.

For 2013, Paragould Police proposed to have officers with rifles in high crime areas to ask people for identification, where they live and their purpose in the area.

According to the American Civil Liberties Union, police must have reasonable suspicion someone has committed a crime to require them to answer questions or detain them.

"A police officer can stop and ask you a question, but you don't have to answer it," says Rita Sklar, with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas.
http://arkansasmatters.com/libraries/layout/assets/images/print.png (javascript:window.print();)

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm betting the ACLU already sent a letter. There is a difference between 'pro-active' and a police state:

[/h]
http://arkansasmatters.com/libraries/layout/assets/images/print.png (http://javascript<strong></strong>:window.print();)

I applaud that mayor and police chief. The City of Oakland in California has so mismanaged their police force and pissed off the citizens so much that the police force was taken from the command of Oakland. I suspect they would love to have both that mayor and police chief in their city. Crime is rampant in Oakland Ca and the crime shows no signs of backing off. Babies have been shot to death in daylight. I applaud that city efforts to end their crime wave.

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 03:56 PM
I applaud that mayor and police chief. The City of Oakland in California has so mismanaged their police force and pissed off the citizens so much that the police force was taken from the command of Oakland. I suspect they would love to have both that mayor and police chief in their city. Crime is rampant in Oakland Ca and the crime shows no signs of backing off. Babies have been shot to death in daylight. I applaud that city efforts to end their crime wave.

Once again, coming at something without reading what's been posted before. The police chief, mayor, and dog catcher cannot institute a program that's out of alignment with the constitution.

aboutime
12-21-2012, 03:57 PM

[/h]
http://arkansasmatters.com/libraries/layout/assets/images/print.png (http://javascript<strong></strong>:window.print();)

Thanks Kathianne. Problem is. When the ACLU isn't there. We can only guess how the police are handling it if the Chief has instructed them differently.
There are Thousands of Recorded YOUTUBE reports from common people who REFUSE to answer questions. And typically. The results are not controlled by threats from the ACLU. Check out Police violence on Youtube. Some is good, some disturbing.

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Sure ass hat. You want fun you say? Fun for you is jumping posters for comments?

Well, two can play that game. You will ruin this thread so you can have fun?

Keep this in mind Sir.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29375.html)

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks Kathianne. Problem is. When the ACLU isn't there. We can only guess how the police are handling it if the Chief has instructed them differently.
There are Thousands of Recorded YOUTUBE reports from common people who REFUSE to answer questions. And typically. The results are not controlled by threats from the ACLU. Check out Police violence on Youtube. Some is good, some disturbing.

There are bad cops, I don't think this police chief sounds like one. Just went down a bad path and has since backed down.

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Once again, coming at something without reading what's been posted before. The police chief, mayor, and dog catcher cannot institute a program that's out of alignment with the constitution.

Bull shit. I don't want you picking a fight. I am as well versed in this event as you are. The city must have a serious problem to even announce this program. I back them entirely.

Kathianne
12-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Bull shit. I don't want you picking a fight. I am as well versed in this event as you are. The city must have a serious problem to even announce this program. I back them entirely.

Idiot. Already they've backed out of the program. There is nothing to back.

aboutime
12-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Sure ass hat. You want fun you say? Fun for you is jumping posters for comments?

Well, two can play that game. You will ruin this thread so you can have fun?

Keep this in mind Sir.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29375.html)

Robert. You keep pitchin.....I'll keep the game goin' as long as you need to. 4184

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Read this EFFIN strawman.

This in reply to my speaking of Oakland CA (I doubt she bothered to research that city and it's problems and how it lost control of it's cops)

"Once again, coming at something without reading what's been posted before. The police chief, mayor, and dog catcher cannot institute a program that's out of alignment with the constitution. "

That snotty comment was approved by Gaffer. I wager he did not really understand what I was speaking of. It had not one damned thing to do with reading about the city in Ark. I stated that I approve those cops and mayor. They live the problem. They have to get a grip. And there was at no time something said by me to even hint I approve something that is not constitutional.

However, what constitution can she mean? The one used by the Feds or the one used by Arkansas?

At no time did I ever state that the Fed constitution can be flat out ignored. She created a god damned strawman.

Gaffer however was not the author of the snotty comment. his or her error was approving the strawman. She knows who she is that said that.

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 04:51 PM
ass hat, this is their program. Explain who told you they stopped protecting citizens?

<TBODY>
12/16/2012

"Armed Patrol" Clarifications

Recently, an article was written by the Paragould Daily Press regarding our Street Crimes Unit. Following the article's appearance, several questions and concerns have arisen from our citizens regarding the tactics and methods in which the unit would be operating under. At this time, we want to clarify the questions and concerns that are currently circulating in the community.
First, let's look at the purpose of the Street Crimes Unit. The purpose of this unit is to increase police presence in high crime rate areas of the city. These areas are identified by examining reports generated from calls for service, and also from citizens who call the Police Department or City Hall with safety concerns in their neighborhoods. Once an area has been identified as a high crime neighborhood, the select group of officers will saturate the area in an attempt to curb the criminal behavior that is plaguing that particular neighborhood. Officers will accomplish this in a variety of different methods. Officers will be working to identify residents in the affected area so that we can better serve our affected neighborhoods. Most often, this identification process will be nothing more than making contact with a subject, handing them a business card, and asking if they live in the area and if there's anything we can do for them. During hours in which crime seems to be more prevalent (i.e. between the hours of 11pm and 5 am), our process will become more stringent. We will be asking for picture identification. We will be ascertaining where the subject lives and what they are doing in the area. We will be keeping a record of those we contact. The record keeping is two-fold: First, we want to try to keep from over-lapping making contact with the same people multiple times. Once we know where people live, or that they always walk in that particular neighborhood, then we'll not need to repeat that contact. We will not be harassing citizens. Secondly, by documenting those of the criminal element, we have a record of that contact and where/when it occurred. An example of where this will be helpful is if a crime (i.e. burglary, breaking or entering) is reported the next morning. We then have a list of "go-to" suspects to question regarding that incident or incidents.
Another issue that seems to be of concern is the mention of Street Crimes Unit officers carrying AR-15 rifles with them during these patrols. To give a little background information, several of our patrol officers already carry AR-15 rifles in their patrol vehicles. The AR-15 and police work is nothing new. Our Street Crimes Unit will not be wearing them constantly. That would be impractical. As we have stated in our meetings, our main purpose of mentioning this was to prepare our residents in the event that they saw an officer armed with one. When our officers deploy into areas where there is the potential for contacting several subjects in a high-crime area, that is when the potential deployment of AR-15's will occur.
Many citizens, through various media outlets, have expressed a concern about the police "violating rights" or "violating the Constitution". We have to abide by the same rules, regulations, and laws that our citizens do. We are not out to violate anyone's rights. Once we have an area that shows a high crime rate or a high call volume, it is our duty and obligation to find out why this is occurring and what we can do to prevent the trend from continuing. Therefore, identifying subjects in those problem areas help us to solve crimes, and hopefully to prevent future crimes.
In closing, the purpose of the Town Hall meetings is to inform you, the citizen, of a potential solution to combat the increase of crimes, both property related and violent. Understand, crime is fluid and ever-changing. We as law enforcement are forced to change with it. We are making an effort to educate our citizens via the Town Hall meetings about crime statistics in each area of town, crime prevention tips, and the Street Crimes Unit. At each meeting, we welcome questions and/or suggestions. Unfortunately, only 100 residents have taken advantage of the two opportunities we have given thus far. Our hope is for you to attend one of the remaining two meetings this week to hear our plans and so that we may get your input. The meeting this Tuesday, December 18th, will be held at Center Hill Church of Christ at 7p.m. The meeting on Thursday, December 20th, will be at the Paragould Community Center at 7 p.m.

</TBODY>

Robert A Whit
12-21-2012, 04:53 PM
You keep pitching your bull shit ass hat. I plan to bat them out of the park. I speak to AT of course. Not the female ass hat.

aboutime
12-21-2012, 06:21 PM
You keep pitching your bull shit ass hat. I plan to bat them out of the park. I speak to AT of course. Not the female ass hat.

Wow! What an Honor! Pitchin', and battin', and a Grand Slam....out of da park for 4187awards!

Merry Christmas to all, and to All....a Goooooooooooood Nite!

Kathianne
12-22-2012, 12:13 AM
For Robert who seems to have reading problems and hasn't a clue to what a 'strawman' is:

taft2012
12-22-2012, 08:25 AM

I think what they're outlining here falls into the "Common Law Right of Inquiry," which is fine. That's not unconstitutional.

There are varying degrees of police encounters, this being one requiring a very low degree of articulation to justify.

I think where their spokesman went a little rogue was using the word "stop." A word such as "engage" or "interact with" would have been more suitable.

Kathianne
12-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I think what they're outlining here falls into the "Common Law Right of Inquiry," which is fine. That's not unconstitutional.

There are varying degrees of police encounters, this being one requiring a very low degree of articulation to justify.

I think where their spokesman went a little rogue was using the word "stop." A word such as "engage" or "interact with" would have been more suitable.

That may be the case, though like myself it didn't take a nanosecond for ACLU in AR to respond. Swat clothing, vehicles, and weapons ight have had a touch to do with it. Want more officer friendlies interacting with community? Put officer friendlies out there, with body armor of course.