PDA

View Full Version : So, what are you doing for Christmas?

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I still have to go out and get some cards, and a few last minute things for Christmas. We're having filet mignon for dinner tonight with all of the works, then a double stacked chocolate cake & a blueberry cheesecake! My wife's tradition is to open gifts on Christmas Eve, so we'll do a bit of that tonight. Mine is the morning, so we'll save some for that. Then it's off to NJ to visit my sister and brother and the kids, and my Dad and Step Mom are in town from SC.

Kathianne
12-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Going to brother's open house this evening. Working tomorrow morning. Over to daughter's in-law's for dinner tomorrow at 4. Both sons and fiances will also be there.

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Going to brother's open house this evening. Working tomorrow morning. Over to daughter's in-law's for dinner tomorrow at 4. Both sons and fiances will also be there.

'Cept for the working part, sounds great, and lots of family involved which is key!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Going to a filipina friend's house for a party around 2 or 3 this afternoon. Doing presents and just family time here at home Christmas morning , but will go to my older sister's home for a big meal /get together Christmas afternoon around 1 o'clock . -Tyr

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Cranking out the Christmas tunes!

The end of the year, Christmas and New Years Eve, have been becoming more and more depressing to me. I guess getting older and the holidays changing, and the faces changing, reminds me of Chistmas past and What isn't. So I've been trying to focus on the positives. Cranking out the Christmas classics today and wrapping presents. It's funny, don't ask most men to wrap. Reminds me when I made my own homemade book covers out of brown bags in high school! The gifts end up with more scotch tape on them than actual wrapping. I even went to the pet store and bought a special meal for my beloved dogs and a package of Christmas bones for them. Then it was just more gift cards and I'm done. Next time it's ALL done online.

While I think of days gone by when I listen to this music, I cherish the memories I have and the great times I got to experience. http://i.imgur.com/pRBQ8.gif

Abbey Marie
12-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Tonight: Dinner at home (my mac & cheese, by request), Christmas Eve services at 9PM, opening presents after church tonight, sipping my favorite champagne by the tree & the fire.
Tomorrow morning: Brunch at home. With Bloody Marys, lol.
Tomorrow afternoon: Have my Dad over for Christmas dinner- smoked turkey breast, etc.
Tomorrow night- wash all the dishes and go to bed exhausted.
Next weekend- off to New England to see my husband's side of the family.
Next year: Skip it all, and go on a cruise (yeah, I wish!)

Merry Christmas everyone!

http://www.thisisbrowncounty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/jesus-is-the-reason-375x211.jpg

aboutime
12-24-2012, 04:22 PM
A quiet Christmas Eve, our favorite music to remember fond days past.

Tomorrow. FIVE LITTLE PEOPLE who call us POP and GRANDMOM will arrive for the first time in three years.

Our wishes of a Wonderful Christmas with FAMILY....are answered....and ALL WE NEED.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

And Don't Forget. HUG YOUR CHILDREN, AND GRANDKIDS.....TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM, as we remember
what happened to AMERICA last week in CT.

4200 ​PEACE ON EARTH!

tailfins
12-24-2012, 04:35 PM
It's just us four. My wife was tired of serving turkey. She asked what else is an American Christmas food. I told her ham or lamb since in rhymes with ham (kidding). As a result I'm sitting here eating lamb chops. She also got the ham just to be safe. I have to give her credit to serve lamb. She had one as pet when she was a child.

aboutime
12-24-2012, 04:41 PM
It's just us four. My wife was tired of serving turkey. She asked what else is an American Christmas food. I told her ham or lamb since in rhymes with ham (kidding). As a result I'm sitting here eating lamb chops. She also got the ham just to be safe.

We used to traditionally have Turkey. But it's a lot of work for Grandmom, and I, and we'd rather spend more time with the Kiddies.

So, we have an 11 pound, pre-cooked Ham in a Crock-pot overnight tonight. All the veggies are easy, and the pies will be gone before they all leave tomorrow night.

Most of all. Everyone. ENJOY THE LOVE, and SPIRIT OF THE SEASON. Every minute of every day Never comes back again.

Trigg
12-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Sitting around tonight waiting for Santa.

Tomorrow is always spent at hubby's insanily HUGE family get together which consists of his mom's brothers and sisters and their kids and kids's kids. Around 120 people in all. Those hillbillies apparently didn't have anything else to do back then.

I think I've mentioned before that Nuke has around 42 first cousins and they all live within 25 minutes of each other. CRAZY. A lot of fun and more normal than my small family, but still crazy.

aboutime
12-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Sitting around tonight waiting for Santa.

Tomorrow is always spent at hubby's insanily HUGE family get together which consists of his mom's brothers and sisters and their kids and kids's kids. Around 120 people in all. Those hillbillies apparently didn't have anything else to do back then.

I think I've mentioned before that Nuke has around 42 first cousins and they all live within 25 minutes of each other. CRAZY. A lot of fun and more normal than my small family, but still crazy.

Trigg. Are you NOT telling us. Your hubby is one of those Jeff Foxworthy kinds of Great American Families????

It's great to have a CRAZY family like that. The more, the better. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

SassyLady
12-24-2012, 07:16 PM
I am in the middle of preparing a spiral honey baked ham, loaded baked potatoes, green bean casserole, watergate salad, corn and date cake for dessert. Will be ready at 6:30 PST ... then were are all going to sit around and moan and groan about how full we are. Snacking on dips and crackers now ... drinking a little hot toddy and/or egg nog.

Tomorrow going to my friend's family for Christmas dinner.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Be safe.

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 08:07 PM
I am in the middle of preparing a spiral honey baked ham

My Mom made the ham for us every year too. That, and her famous German potato salad. But the ham was the best, even though we 'think' maybe it was the cause of some of my headaches from the high salt content. I LOVE ham though!!

Kathianne
12-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Just got home from my brother's, was very nice.

Until my daughter called and said that her, brothers, husband and fiances were all going to midnight mass, then over here to open presents. Really not funny. If I'd known a few days ago, could have worked something out, but not at 5:30 on Christmas Eve. I love having my kids over, but this is not fair. Will have to talk to her later about it. So, I'm going to take a nap, get to church, have them over. I will not get back to sleep, have to be at work at 9. Then straight to her in-laws. I'm going to be way too tired.

Oh the highlight of the night is when I suddenly knew I had to go. We were all waiting to open presents until my nephew's wife came from work. Since I had to leave, I wanted to give my grand nephew his present, he's almost 3. It was 'Trax' that you build, then run motorized cars over. He was so excited, "I love it, Aunt Kathy!" His dad looked closer, "Dad, we're leaving this here for Cole, 450 pieces!" LOL!

NightTrain
12-24-2012, 09:04 PM
My 2 brothers, 1 sister, 1 step sister(along with their spouses and kids), and 4 friends, along with Sharon's mom and brother, are all coming over to my house tomorrow at 2PM for Christmas dinner and opening presents.

My fiance, Sharon, is making a huge roast beef and a huge ham, with mashed potatoes, gravy, the works. It's sure to be a madhouse but the huge family gatherings during the holidays are traditional in my family and it's always a great time. I'm sure my neighbors think half of Wasilla is here at my house with all the vehicles parked up and down the street.

Usually we open our Christmas presents on Christmas Eve; however this year I allowed my ex-wife to spend extra time with them so I will get them Christmas Day and then they'll return to visiting with her at her place - she's pulled her head out and has been responsible in the last 6 months or so, so I am allowing more visitation as a result.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas!

Oh yeah, and be sure to have a shot to NT on New Years for my birthday!

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 09:09 PM
My 2 brothers, 1 sister, 1 step sister(along with their spouses and kids), and 4 friends, along with Sharon's mom and brother, are all coming over to my house tomorrow at 2PM for Christmas dinner and opening presents.

My fiance, Sharon, is making a huge roast beef and a huge ham, with mashed potatoes, gravy, the works. It's sure to be a madhouse but the huge family gatherings during the holidays are traditional in my family and it's always a great time. I'm sure my neighbors think half of Wasilla is here at my house with all the vehicles parked up and down the street.

Usually we open our Christmas presents on Christmas Eve; however this year I allowed my ex-wife to spend extra time with them so I will get them Christmas Day and then they'll return to visiting with her at her place - she's pulled her head out and has been responsible in the last 6 months or so, so I am allowing more visitation as a result.

I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas!

Oh yeah, and be sure to have a shot to NT on New Years for my birthday!

Hell, I don't recall that your Bday was New Years Day all these years, or is it New Years Eve? Either way, will certainly try and accommodate your request!.

So I guess a premature happy birthday is in order too! Happy Birthday, Rick! Hopefully you'll still be off duty on your Bday to be around here, and probably drunk :coffee: :cheers2:

Robert A Whit
12-24-2012, 09:09 PM
I still have to go out and get some cards, and a few last minute things for Christmas. We're having filet mignon for dinner tonight with all of the works, then a double stacked chocolate cake & a blueberry cheesecake! My wife's tradition is to open gifts on Christmas Eve, so we'll do a bit of that tonight. Mine is the morning, so we'll save some for that. Then it's off to NJ to visit my sister and brother and the kids, and my Dad and Step Mom are in town from SC.

Filet Mignon? Chocolate cake? You must have forgot to invite me.

Guess I will go out and hunt down Santa Clause with my pistol. :laugh::laugh:

NightTrain
12-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Hell, I don't recall that your Bday was New Years Day all these years, or is it New Years Eve? Either way, will certainly try and accommodate your request!.

So I guess a premature happy birthday is in order too! Happy Birthday, Rick! Hopefully you'll still be off duty on your Bday to be around here, and probably drunk :coffee: :cheers2:

lol, it is New Year's Eve... but that party seems to encompass both days!

I hope I'll be home, but if I'm on the road in a Hotel somewhere, we'll be sure to close down the nearest bar and hopefully won't end up arrested! :cheers2:

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Filet Mignon? Chocolate cake? You must have forgot to invite me.

Guess I will go out and hunt down Santa Clause with my pistol. :laugh::laugh:

The filet was AWESOME! And the best part is, that she bought a monster filet, so there's enough for 2 more days left. And we didn't even touch the cake yet, only the blueberry cheesecake as that was everyone's first preference. There's only 3 of us. But rest assured, neither will go unmolested for longer than the next 12-18hrs before I can't hold back anymore. And that goes for the filet too, it's doomed. I honestly am eating better and want to continue that trend, but you can only push a man too far. Put filet mignon in front of a guy, and a chocolate cake, and cheesecake? I see problems, for my diet, and my belly.

Abbey Marie
12-24-2012, 10:49 PM
The filet was AWESOME! And the best part is, that she bought a monster filet, so there's enough for 2 more days left. And we didn't even touch the cake yet, only the blueberry cheesecake as that was everyone's first preference. There's only 3 of us. But rest assured, neither will go unmolested for longer than the next 12-18hrs before I can't hold back anymore. And that goes for the filet too, it's doomed. I honestly am eating better and want to continue that trend, but you can only push a man too far. Put filet mignon in front of a guy, and a chocolate cake, and cheesecake? I see problems, for my diet, and my belly.

It's mostly just the three of us, too, the past few years. In some ways I miss the old days of larger, hectic family gatherings, but everything has its season, and this calmness kind of feels right these days.

Merry Christmas, Jim and family! You've made it through a difficult year, so I hope this Christmas feels like a celebration to you.

Edited to add: We just came back from a beautiful candlelight service, singing carols, and praising God. All the better seeing the snow on the way home.

DragonStryk72
12-24-2012, 10:51 PM

I'm taking in gamers who aren't going home for Christmas. Being gamers, there will be Wii games, tabletops games, and the like.

Kathianne
12-25-2012, 01:39 AM
I will not lose it on the holidays, I will not lose it on the holidays, I will not lose it on the holidays!

As I said earlier, the darling daughter called me at my brother's and said she and all wanted to do Midnight Mass, then open presents, 'like we used to.' I tried to talk her down from that, considering I have to work in the morning. She can be determined. Sssoooo, I left my brother's early, came home and neatened up, went and took a nap. 11:00, out the door.

The music was extraordinary, church very festive. Problem was, no kids were coming. Left early, came home and checked phone, 11:04, she called and said they changed their minds and hoped I caught the message.

I will not lose it! LOL! We are going to have a talk, but not today.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Just got home from the ER. Justin got sick yesterday afternoon, high fever etc. Last night around 10 starting puking ,high fever. This morning at 6 am fever 104, chills etc. By 7 am we had him at the ER here in town, he has infected left ear and Strepthroat. Got meds, gave him dose and gave him two doses fever medicine. He just finished opening his Christmas presents and was smiling from ear to ear at all of them. His favorite one turns out to be the SPONGEBOB PILLOW that I picked up as last minute shopping grab on the way to the check out counter late Sunday night. Amazing ,of all the great and expensive things we bought him and others gave him he loves a $19.99 Spongebob pillow best! I just grabbed it to up his present count mainly because I always buy him at least 12 presents every Christmas. That was my 12th one. My wife said next year he will be 7 years old time to bring the present count down to a reasonable 5, 6 or 7! I'm going with 7 next year, but one will be a 410ga shotgun pump, for when he turns 10 years old, he can admire it for 3 years! Riza says no guns until he is at least a teenager , but what does she know? A man has to do what a man knows to do!

Merry Christmas to one and all. -Tyr

jimnyc
12-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Sorry you have to deal with all of that on Christmas, Tyr! I hope the rest of the day picks up for you and you have a great time with your family!

jimnyc
12-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Leaving for NJ now to see my family. Got a little bit of the festive spirit today, so I hope it carries throughout the day. Had to pop on here and wish everyone a Merry Christmas, actually on Christmas!!

Hope you're all with family and friends enjoying the awesome holiday!! I get to go be a big kid with the little kids for awhile! See ya'll tonight!!

WiccanLiberal
12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
V4R is getting an untraditional dinner. I am fixing a roast duck. I will have corn bread or sage stuffing, mashed potatoes, biscuits and an apple pie for dessert. Otherwise we are just spending the day quietly. We hope all here are enjoying the season with their loved ones in peace and happiness.

Voted4Reagan
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
V4R is getting an untraditional dinner. I am fixing a roast duck. I will have corn bread or sage stuffing, mashed potatoes, biscuits and an apple pie for dessert. Otherwise we are just spending the day quietly. We hope all here are enjoying the season with their loved ones in peace and happiness.

And if that BITCH SANDY tries to come take my DUCK DINNER I am gonna really be pissed!!

Merry Christmas to all.....

DragonStryk72
12-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Days going pretty well. Have a Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament going, with people being congratulated for wins, as well as losing in embarassing ways, lol.

Making chicken lasagna for dinner. Didn/'t wanna have to mess with a Turkey for the second time in a month.

fj1200
12-25-2012, 02:56 PM
... filet mignon for dinner tonight with all of the works, then a double stacked chocolate cake & a blueberry cheesecake!

Filet... :washmachine2: A NY strip roast for us tonight, usually do a rib roast but thought I'd go with something a little different for our official dinner.

aboutime
12-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Happiest day of the year is now over. Two little ones came down with the flu, and are now on their way home.

Santa made all of them happy. But not as happy as I, and Grandmom were. Taking photo's, and being a FAMILY...all together with Hugs, and Hugs, and hugs all around.

Oh. And "Happy Birthday Jesus"....made it perfect. I have a SMILE............................................. ...................................This wide!

jimnyc
12-25-2012, 09:07 PM

And if that BITCH SANDY tries to come take my DUCK DINNER I am gonna really be pissed!!

Merry Christmas to all.....

After all the 2 of you have been through, with Sandy, and the loss of property, and where you had to temporarily call home - it's VERY nice to see you 2 talking about Christmas dinner and enjoying some quality time together. :beer:

jimnyc
12-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Days going pretty well. Have a Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament going, with people being congratulated for wins, as well as losing in embarassing ways, lol.

Making chicken lasagna for dinner. Didn/'t wanna have to mess with a Turkey for the second time in a month.

Sounds just like the house I grew up in! Only it was inevitable that all the tournaments and matches would soon end in a real brawl! We would play touch football every year, out in the street. It was always fun in the beginning, but our elder cousins would slowly turn John and I against one another, say how one or the other was getting their ass kicked, and the next thing you know someone really was getting their ass kicked. Fun times!

Filet... :washmachine2: A NY strip roast for us tonight, usually do a rib roast but thought I'd go with something a little different for our official dinner.

How was it? I'm about to slice me up some filet and try the chocolate cake. My sister today had eggplant parmigiana, chicken wings, sausage and peppers, chicken francaise (sp?), baked ziti... Add it all up. Man I feel like a fat bastard.

Happiest day of the year is now over. Two little ones came down with the flu, and are now on their way home.

Santa made all of them happy. But not as happy as I, and Grandmom were. Taking photo's, and being a FAMILY...all together with Hugs, and Hugs, and hugs all around.

Oh. And "Happy Birthday Jesus"....made it perfect. I have a SMILE............................................. ...................................This wide!

Hope the little ones get to feeling better! Probably run down from no sleep and non-stop running around and fun. And I agree with you about the family, hugs and photo's. Only we took a ton of photos and none were from me. Hopefully my Dad will send me some when he gets back home.

fj1200
12-26-2012, 03:50 AM
How was it? I'm about to slice me up some filet and try the chocolate cake. My sister today had eggplant parmigiana, chicken wings, sausage and peppers, chicken francaise (sp?), baked ziti... Add it all up. Man I feel like a fat bastard.

Very good, it was nice not having to worry about the bone. I was also worried about it not having as much fat as a rib roast, unnecessarily as it turned out.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-26-2012, 09:34 AM
After all the 2 of you have been through, with Sandy, and the loss of property, and where you had to temporarily call home - it's VERY nice to see you 2 talking about Christmas dinner and enjoying some quality time together. :beer:

Very glad to hear things have gotten somewhat back to normal for you guys.-:beer:-Tyr

Kathianne
12-26-2012, 09:39 AM

I love duck, but I've never tried cooking one myself.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-26-2012, 09:40 AM

Salty, that makes for the greatest part of Christmas for me, the very happy time with
family, especially with the "little ones". I know you are in bliss being with your family and not deployed out at sea.
Even with Justin getting sick, ER experience , we still had a wonderful time. Amazing that he could cheer up and be so happy while being sick. Kids have that wonderful ability! He is much better this morning, woke me up early so he could go play with some toys he hasn't had time to play with yet.-Tyr

edit- Forgot to say, the receptionist, the nurses ,doctor at the ER were fantastic ! Went out of their way to cheer Justin up and dolt on him. He was the only child in ER that morning! Nurses came down from floors above to speak to him! I know, they never get their true credit due for their service.

WiccanLiberal
12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
I love duck, but I've never tried cooking one myself.

Get a duck app 5-6 lbs. Clean the cavity and rinse well. Pat dry. Score the skin in a diamond pattern with a very sharp knife and poke it with the point all over. The cuts should just score into the fat layer, not all the way to the muscle. Rub a little kosher salt into the bird. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and put the bird in breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. After one hour rotate breast side down and poke again and return to the oven. Repeat for a total of four hours. Your internal temp should be about 165-170 degrees. I topped mine with a little orange juice, apricot spread mix but you can use any glaze you like. Brush the bird with it and return it to the oven for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. You get tender meat and a crispy skin with this method. Bon Apetit

Kathianne
12-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Get a duck app 5-6 lbs. Clean the cavity and rinse well. Pat dry. Score the skin in a diamond pattern with a very sharp knife and poke it with the point all over. The cuts should just score into the fat layer, not all the way to the muscle. Rub a little kosher salt into the bird. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and put the bird in breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. After one hour rotate breast side down and poke again and return to the oven. Repeat for a total of four hours. Your internal temp should be about 165-170 degrees. I topped mine with a little orange juice, apricot spread mix but you can use any glaze you like. Brush the bird with it and return it to the oven for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. You get tender meat and a crispy skin with this method. Bon Apetit

Thank you! I would have thought a higher temp, all the way through. Do you put the bird on a rack, over the roasting pan to allow fat to run off? Would one duck serve more than 2 people? In the restaurant where I order duck, it seems to me that it's a half duck; opposed to usually 1/4 chicken as a serving?

WiccanLiberal
12-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes use a rack. Lets the fat drip off. And our bird served the two of us nicely with a little left over. The low temperature is the key to getting it tender. If you cook at a higher temp it dries out.

Kathianne
12-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes use a rack. Lets the fat drip off. And our bird served the two of us nicely with a little left over. The low temperature is the key to getting it tender. If you cook at a higher temp it dries out.

Thanks, again. I'm looking at 1 duck for every 2 adults. Some leftovers? My mouth is watering!