PDA

View Full Version : It's snowing!

Abbey Marie
12-24-2012, 07:33 PM
:dance: :joy4:

aboutime
12-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Great! At least somebody will see, and enjoy a WHITE CHRISTMAS. Even if it only lasts a few hours.

Merry Christmas. Lonely night, waiting for ALL of the Grand Kids to arrive tomorrow. No snow here.

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 08:13 PM
It's snowing here in Westchester, NY too! But it's very wet and not sticking. Still looks cool though, and is refreshing if you stand out there in it. I would love to wake up surprised one Christmas with a 2-4 downfall. Enough to enjoy but not enough for me to worry about a broken back from shoveling!

Kathianne
12-24-2012, 08:26 PM
We've only had flurries, but that's better than none. ;)

jimnyc
12-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Has it gotten much colder by you yet? It's snowing a tad here, but at 37 degrees it just feels 'warm' if that makes any sense.

Robert A Whit
12-24-2012, 08:47 PM

I sure can't claim we did not get rain. Talk about rain. Here it was not so bad. I don't think we got an inch. But a few miles to the north, they got over 6 inches. And it has kept raining here all day as well as last night. I plan to check on the actual rainfall here. Rain at least means it is warmer.

Kathianne
12-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Has it gotten much colder by you yet? It's snowing a tad here, but at 37 degrees it just feels 'warm' if that makes any sense.

It's really cold, considering what it had been like. 20's and teens at night. Brrrr.

SassyLady
12-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Flood warnings here!

Kathianne
12-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Flood warnings here!

That's not good! Bah!

We now have light snow. Dang it, wish I could go to bed!

jafar00
12-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Flood warnings here!

32C here yesterday. 16C and rain all day today so I feel your pain. I hope you stay safe from floods.

Trigg
12-25-2012, 09:24 AM
we're supposed to get some tomorrow. The boys hope so anyway....the two youngest got snowball makers.

It's going to be an epic battle, Cadet may have to help his little brother make a fort if their is enough snow.

tailfins
12-25-2012, 11:32 AM

There's a quarter-inch here in New Hampshire, just enough to decorate the landscape.

Drummond
12-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Flood warnings here!

Not in my particular region of the UK ... but we KEEP getting deluges ! Many parts of the UK have been hit by floods in recent days .. and weeks .. and months .. !!

Currently, SW England (especially Cornwall) is suffering floods .. and some of our rail network is disrupted.

We just get weather system after weather system pile in from the Atlantic ... it's a bit like buses .. you wait for ages, then 23 turn up at once ....

Still, never mind. So long as the drink holds out .... Merry Xmas !! :alcoholic:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-25-2012, 12:07 PM
we're supposed to get some tomorrow. The boys hope so anyway....the two youngest got snowball makers.

It's going to be an epic battle, Cadet may have to help his little brother make a fort if their is enough snow.

I want snow for Justin to see and play in but with him being sick I don't mind if it waits a few days. None predicted here that I know of anyways. We always wanted snow when I was a kid so we could take our one very old sled and hit the small hills near our house.-Tyr

SassyLady
12-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I grew up in panhandle of Texas.....I've had tons of snow in my life....when you live an hour away from town, on a farm....no one comes to clear roads. In every direction nothing but a whiteout....beautiful but lonely out there.

Robert A Whit
12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
I grew up in panhandle of Texas.....I've had tons of snow in my life....when you live an hour away from town, on a farm....no one comes to clear roads. In every direction nothing but a whiteout....beautiful but lonely out there.

In CA, when I am in the snow, it is because I drove to where there is snow.

When I lived in Germany, in October it started and stuck with you until April I believe.
When there, we had one of the worst ever winters and being in the Army, that is training time. I will tell you, dig a few fox holes in snow. Live snow 24/7 for weeks at a time. If you love snow, you sure will learn it is nice to see, hell to work in all day and night long.

logroller
12-25-2012, 06:49 PM
In CA, when I am in the snow, it is because I drove to where there is snow.

When I lived in Germany, in October it started and stuck with you until April I believe.
When there, we had one of the worst ever winters and being in the Army, that is training time. I will tell you, dig a few fox holes in snow. Live snow 24/7 for weeks at a time. If you love snow, you sure will learn it is nice to see, hell to work in all day and night long.
Germany is having their warmest christmas in 40 years.

Robert A Whit
12-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Germany is having their warmest christmas in 40 years.

That is a thrill. 1962 winter was among the coldest. And in Amsterdam, it was amusing to see birds trying to learn to walk on ice covered canals.

mundame
12-25-2012, 09:48 PM
We had a classic snowstorm here in Maryland on Christmas Eve for a few hours. Totally unpredicted and in fact the weather channel kept calling it rain -- they failed the look-out-the-window test.

Kathianne
12-25-2012, 10:07 PM
All day we had flurries, by about 3:30, everything was white! Really nice, got the feeling, no shoveling!

Drummond
12-26-2012, 11:38 AM
That is a thrill. 1962 winter was among the coldest. And in Amsterdam, it was amusing to see birds trying to learn to walk on ice covered canals.

Ah yes, 1962. Particularly bad in the UK, too .. one of the coldest winters ever recorded. Parts of the Thames froze over, as did many lakes. As I recall, even the sea froze over a little way out from shore, in SE England.

Now, it's just downpour after downpour .. if we go through as much as 3 days without rain, we consider ourselves lucky !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253267/UK-weather-More-floods-expected-forecasters-warn-weeks-worth-rain-fall-New-Year.html

Flooding is set to worsen across parts of England and Wales, causing the 'dangerous conditions'.

The Met Office said coastal areas in the south-west of England are at particular risk of collapsing cliff edges and rockfall, but stressed that all areas enduring heavy rain are at risk.

A spokesman for the Met Office said: 'We have had such heavy and persistent rain fall over the last few days and weeks and that there is a danger of landslides and rockfall along the coast, even on coastal paths.

'We are advising Boxing Day walkers in the south-west of England to take particular care in these dangerous conditions, especially those not familiar with the area.

'Do not get too close to the cliff edge or walk under the cliff face along the beach and remember that coastal paths could be impacted too.'

Many coastal paths have been closed over the last few weeks along the South West and train services have been disrupted by small coastal landslides.

A Met Office spokesman said some parts of Britain could expect up to 12 hours of rainfall today.

'There will be more rain pushing across from the West between 6am and 5pm.

'There will be showers in the North, with lots of rain accompanied by strong winds.

'It is falling on already saturated ground, as it's been such a wet summer, so we've raised warnings for landslides to amber for the past few days,

'Boxing Day is a favourite time for walking off the Christmas dinner. Some coastal areas in the South West have been closed off and there have been landslips on railway lines.'

tailfins
12-26-2012, 01:32 PM
The drive to work today was beautiful. I took the mountain route which turns a 130 mile trip into 150 miles, but it was worth it. All was snow covered in NH and MA in the higher elevations; really cold too. 16F in Fitchburg.

Robert A Whit
12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
The drive to work today was beautiful. I took the mountain route which turns a 130 mile trip into 150 miles, but it was worth it. All was snow covered in NH and MA in the higher elevations; really cold too. 16F in Fitchburg.

I wonder how it would be to have car problems and have to live in that beautiful place for, say a week? Then two weeks?

tailfins
12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
I wonder how it would be to have car problems and have to live in that beautiful place for, say a week? Then two weeks?

It's not the same layout as out west. There's a bed and breakfast, organic farm, or riding stable every couple of miles plus fuel oil trucks up and down the roads. San Bernardino COUNTY in California has almost DOUBLE the land area of the entire STATE (Commonwealth) of Massachusetts.