PDA

View Full Version : Meet your match

Robert A Whit
12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
How would you people that love to fish handle this fish?

You may be dinner before the fish is.

aboutime
12-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Who takes care of the DENTAL PLAN?

taft2012
12-27-2012, 07:57 AM
As an ocean fisherman I often scoff at the freshwater guys on television soiling their undergarments over large mouth bass.

But the "River Monster" guy gets props from me.

mundame
12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
I sent that photo to my husband. I've told him 79 times or so that I don't like him fishing from his kayak, because Chessie (our local Loch Ness monster) will pull him at speed out into the Bay if he hooks it.

But this picture may convince him.........

CSM
12-27-2012, 09:50 AM
I love that show. Makes me want to go out and catch the "river monsters" that lurk in the local ponds, lakes and rivers!

aboutime
12-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I love that show. Makes me want to go out and catch the "river monsters" that lurk in the local ponds, lakes and rivers!

Has anyone seen the program on cable where people from Near New Orleans go Giant CATFISH hunting...Barehanded, in the water?

Another reason why I would never go into murky, dirty water, and always preferred Pools.

fj1200
12-27-2012, 02:50 PM
^Okie Noodling. Those catfish aren't exactly after you though.

jimnyc
12-27-2012, 03:39 PM
As an ocean fisherman I often scoff at the freshwater guys on television soiling their undergarments over large mouth bass.

But the "River Monster" guy gets props from me.

I'll admit that there are a lot bigger and a lot more of variety of fish in the sea, but there's something special about a Largemouth! It's a helluva fighter for a fairly small fresh water fish. Hell, my best is only about 5lbs, and I thought that was awesome and took me like 10 minutes to get it onto the bass boat. My father in law is catching 10+ pounders left and right in Florida, or so he says.

But as much as I love the Bass, I think I'd much rather fish for the Stripers. Or maybe Tuna! I had one hit the pole in Atlantic City, and luckily the pole was in a stand, and I figured it HAD to be at least 50 pounds. It shook the boat and I was barely able to hold the pole for a minute or two. Damn thing fought like hell up till the very end, when we scooped him in to see it was like 3 or 4 pounds! But it made me wonder what it would be like to hook into a big one!

Robert A Whit
12-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Who takes care of the DENTAL PLAN?

:clap::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Robert A Whit
12-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Has anyone seen the program on cable where people from Near New Orleans go Giant CATFISH hunting...Barehanded, in the water?

Another reason why I would never go into murky, dirty water, and always preferred Pools.

Yes I have. And it is not only in LA that they do it. They show it going on in OK as well.

The Catfish we have here in the SF Bay area are small.

I think they call that type of fishing spelunking. Don't know the origin of the word. (hand fishing for large catfish)

I doubt they would put their hands in the mouth of the fish I posted. That sucker with those enormous teeth.

Robert A Whit
12-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Yes, I have heard Noodling too. Seems I also heard the term spelunking. If I am wrong, what does that mean?

fj1200
12-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Yes, I have heard Noodling too. Seems I also heard the term spelunking. If I am wrong, what does that mean?

Spelunking is mountain climbing in caves.

taft2012
12-28-2012, 06:38 AM
I'll admit that there are a lot bigger and a lot more of variety of fish in the sea, but there's something special about a Largemouth! It's a helluva fighter for a fairly small fresh water fish. Hell, my best is only about 5lbs, and I thought that was awesome and took me like 10 minutes to get it onto the bass boat. My father in law is catching 10+ pounders left and right in Florida, or so he says.

But as much as I love the Bass, I think I'd much rather fish for the Stripers. Or maybe Tuna! I had one hit the pole in Atlantic City, and luckily the pole was in a stand, and I figured it HAD to be at least 50 pounds. It shook the boat and I was barely able to hold the pole for a minute or two. Damn thing fought like hell up till the very end, when we scooped him in to see it was like 3 or 4 pounds! But it made me wonder what it would be like to hook into a big one!

Heh, you know what a 5 lbs. bluefish would do to a 5 lbs. large mouth? Bite it in half. Heh, bluefish; pound-for-pound they are the ocean's pitbulls.

I never hooked into a tuna like you did though.

As for freshwater, I sort of dabble from time-to-time. There's a brackish pond near me, the culmination of a series of ponds and streams that exit out into Jamaica Bay. It's home to some massive carp, who surprised the crap (hah! carp - crap) out of me by fighting as strongly as striped bass pound-for-pound. One day I pulled up 3 20+ pounders. Monster goldfish....

Took one home to eat and wished I had thrown it back into the pond...lol.

taft2012
12-28-2012, 06:42 AM

It is? I thought spelunking was scuba-diving in underwater caves....

Is there a separate word then for scuba-diving in underwater caves?

Gaffer
12-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Splunking is cave exploring. Has nothing to do with diving or fishing.

jimnyc
12-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Heh, you know what a 5 lbs. bluefish would do to a 5 lbs. large mouth? Bite it in half. Heh, bluefish; pound-for-pound they are the ocean's pitbulls.

I never hooked into a tuna like you did though.

As for freshwater, I sort of dabble from time-to-time. There's a brackish pond near me, the culmination of a series of ponds and streams that exit out into Jamaica Bay. It's home to some massive carp, who surprised the crap (hah! carp - crap) out of me by fighting as strongly as striped bass pound-for-pound. One day I pulled up 3 20+ pounders. Monster goldfish....

Took one home to eat and wished I had thrown it back into the pond...lol.

Oh, I know, the Bass would be bait in some other waters! LOL Honestly, Blues are one fish I never had the pleasure of going for. I heard they were an awesome fight though. My uncle used to have a massive Blue hanging on his wall when I was a kid.

I don't have a lot of the sea to fish in around here, as you know, unless I charter or go out on a party boat. I grew up in Central Jersey and it was always so much easier to go to bigger lakes, canals and such. Then I would have to try a ton of different lures before I could find just the right combination to get the Bass to bite. All in all, in the end, the salt water fish are much bigger, but I always enjoyed the 'hunt' of the Bass better.

I'm not lucky like you. All I have here is the harbor in Mamaroneck, and all you really catch are little blue gills and such. You always here stories of guys catching a striper off of the dock, but it's much easier if you can get on a boat.

taft2012
12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I guess I am luckier in that sense.

But you know, you're not exactly in Boise Idaho either. You can drive down to the shore and walk onto a party boat at any time. They even supply the rods and bait. You just bring some beer and friends along and its a blast. The better captains know exactly where to go to put you onto some fish.

I went on an awesome seabass trip out of Captree this past summer. The captain had us out in like 80' of water, which is a bit of a nuisance when you're onto small fish and have to reel a 4" seabass back up through 80' water. But on this one trip we were pulling up monsters... those seabass that get so big they get that aqua blue coloring.

But I also like putting on the waders and doing some surf casting and fishing along the piers. I've gotten some hefty stripers fishing that way too... at the right time of year.

aboutime
12-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Oh, I know, the Bass would be bait in some other waters! LOL Honestly, Blues are one fish I never had the pleasure of going for. I heard they were an awesome fight though. My uncle used to have a massive Blue hanging on his wall when I was a kid.

I don't have a lot of the sea to fish in around here, as you know, unless I charter or go out on a party boat. I grew up in Central Jersey and it was always so much easier to go to bigger lakes, canals and such. Then I would have to try a ton of different lures before I could find just the right combination to get the Bass to bite. All in all, in the end, the salt water fish are much bigger, but I always enjoyed the 'hunt' of the Bass better.

I'm not lucky like you. All I have here is the harbor in Mamaroneck, and all you really catch are little blue gills and such. You always here stories of guys catching a striper off of the dock, but it's much easier if you can get on a boat.

jimnyc: I had the pleasure of catching my first Blue, in the harbor at Little Creek Virginia, on what was then, The Amphibious Base where my ship was homeported. During the late Summer, and early Autumn...the Blues run up, and down the coast. Or so I am told. But the one, and only Blue I caught weighed about eight pounds. And it did fight. Almost like a Barracuda, or Yellowfin Tuna.

Great stuff, almost anywhere you go.

jimnyc
12-29-2012, 02:51 PM
I guess I am luckier in that sense.

But you know, you're not exactly in Boise Idaho either. You can drive down to the shore and walk onto a party boat at any time. They even supply the rods and bait. You just bring some beer and friends along and its a blast. The better captains know exactly where to go to put you onto some fish.

I went on an awesome seabass trip out of Captree this past summer. The captain had us out in like 80' of water, which is a bit of a nuisance when you're onto small fish and have to reel a 4" seabass back up through 80' water. But on this one trip we were pulling up monsters... those seabass that get so big they get that aqua blue coloring.

But I also like putting on the waders and doing some surf casting and fishing along the piers. I've gotten some hefty stripers fishing that way too... at the right time of year.

Last time on a party boat was Oak Island, NC, probably around 2001 or 2002. Went with my 2 brothers, who got drunk. I had an "injury" down "there", yes, near the family jewels. Needless to say, while fishing with those monster sized rods, I had my legs spread about 6 feet and balancing near the rail to lessen the pain. These 2 bastards barely picked up a pole. They sat there drinking the entire time cracking up and making fun of me! But I landed a rather large sand shark! Yeah, I know, nothing great. But there was a pool for largest fish. It was down to me and another guy with a sand shark. His was about an inch or so longer, but mine was much weightier and thicker. They awarded him the pool without even weighing, saying his won cause it was longer! WTF??? I always thought fishing contests were based on the weight of the fish. Bastards.

Oh, and my little growth "exploded" one night and I ended up at the emergency room. Was like a mini-cyst or something, I dunno, but it hurt like hell the entire trip, and made for good ammunition for the sibling bastards.

jimnyc: I had the pleasure of catching my first Blue, in the harbor at Little Creek Virginia, on what was then, The Amphibious Base where my ship was homeported. During the late Summer, and early Autumn...the Blues run up, and down the coast. Or so I am told. But the one, and only Blue I caught weighed about eight pounds. And it did fight. Almost like a Barracuda, or Yellowfin Tuna.

Great stuff, almost anywhere you go.

I lived in Arlington/Alexandria for a short tad but never got to do any fishing. My Dad, who I asked about this, says nothing beats trolling and hooking a Blue. But he used to own and awesome boat, and it was gone while I was still too young to get into it.

We used to vacation in Chincoteague, Va, quite often. Down there Dad had a place we went on a small boat and would catch TONS of Flounder. That cheap bastard made us eat that all week long too. My brother and I went out to do some clamming. We cam back with 2 huge buckets of cherry clams. When we went back out a day later or 2, Dad asked us to show him where we found so many. Turns out it was in some protected area where they raise them. We also went out crabbing once and came back with a few dozen in about 20 minutes. We had pulled up a bunch of the monster traps that would have 6-12 crabs in them already. These are the traps that are set and left. I guess we were too young to know much better. Nah, we kinda did, it was just fun at that age! Lucky someone didn't shoot us little bastards!

(Oh, and we stole corn from an Amish field in Pennsy too, figured 10 or so ears wouldn't hurt them in a field of probably a million)

I only admit to these crimes as the SOL have long ran out! :laugh2:

aboutime
12-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Last time on a party boat was Oak Island, NC, probably around 2001 or 2002. Went with my 2 brothers, who got drunk. I had an "injury" down "there", yes, near the family jewels. Needless to say, while fishing with those monster sized rods, I had my legs spread about 6 feet and balancing near the rail to lessen the pain. These 2 bastards barely picked up a pole. They sat there drinking the entire time cracking up and making fun of me! But I landed a rather large sand shark! Yeah, I know, nothing great. But there was a pool for largest fish. It was down to me and another guy with a sand shark. His was about an inch or so longer, but mine was much weightier and thicker. They awarded him the pool without even weighing, saying his won cause it was longer! WTF??? I always thought fishing contests were based on the weight of the fish. Bastards.

Oh, and my little growth "exploded" one night and I ended up at the emergency room. Was like a mini-cyst or something, I dunno, but it hurt like hell the entire trip, and made for good ammunition for the sibling bastards.

I lived in Arlington/Alexandria for a short tad but never got to do any fishing. My Dad, who I asked about this, says nothing beats trolling and hooking a Blue. But he used to own and awesome boat, and it was gone while I was still too young to get into it.

We used to vacation in Chincoteague, Va, quite often. Down there Dad had a place we went on a small boat and would catch TONS of Flounder. That cheap bastard made us eat that all week long too. My brother and I went out to do some clamming. We cam back with 2 huge buckets of cherry clams. When we went back out a day later or 2, Dad asked us to show him where we found so many. Turns out it was in some protected area where they raise them. We also went out crabbing once and came back with a few dozen in about 20 minutes. We had pulled up a bunch of the monster traps that would have 6-12 crabs in them already. These are the traps that are set and left. I guess we were too young to know much better. Nah, we kinda did, it was just fun at that age! Lucky someone didn't shoot us little bastards!

(Oh, and we stole corn from an Amish field in Pennsy too, figured 10 or so ears wouldn't hurt them in a field of probably a million)

I only admit to these crimes as the SOL have long ran out! :laugh2:

No problem jim. They probably would have offered you the corn anyway. Chincoteague got hit pretty hard with Sandy. Lost a lot of beach, and the clams too! Great place to rough it if you like the ocean.

Robert A Whit
12-29-2012, 04:45 PM

LMAO

Well, I am 74 you know. LOL

I used to deny getting old.
Then a pal says, hey Bob, you sure got old since the last time I saw you.
That had been several years. I live mid state CA and he lives near the Mexican border so we don't visit often.
Then I kept saying, yeah but.

Well, thank you for your reply. The instant I saw it I realized the mistake.

It's been awhile but I have seen them noodle for large catfish.

If some posters are new to this, they hand fish for catfish that hide in the holes into the river banks. They do it with no gloves on. At least I have only seen bare hands used.

They will stick their hands into the fish's mouth and pull them out of the bank.

It may not be legal in every state where they have those monster catfish.

jimnyc
12-29-2012, 04:47 PM
No problem jim. They probably would have offered you the corn anyway. Chincoteague got hit pretty hard with Sandy. Lost a lot of beach, and the clams too! Great place to rough it if you like the ocean.

Another quick story for the 'small world' theme... Chincoteague is part of the main island, then if you go over yet another bridge you are in Assoteague. This is where the storied wild horses live that cross the water every year. The whole island of Assateague is a sanctuary and protected.

When we went camping there it was late 70's to early 80's. My cousin, Teddy, who is probably 6-7 years older than me, eventually became a park ranger out in the midwest/west - I think he was in Arizona, Wyoming and a few other places out there. Anyway, a few years ago he got a new gig and is in charge of Assoteague! I probably wouldn't even recognize him if I tripped over him, but just thought it was funny.

aboutime
12-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Another quick story for the 'small world' theme... Chincoteague is part of the main island, then if you go over yet another bridge you are in Assoteague. This is where the storied wild horses live that cross the water every year. The whole island of Assateague is a sanctuary and protected.

When we went camping there it was late 70's to early 80's. My cousin, Teddy, who is probably 6-7 years older than me, eventually became a park ranger out in the midwest/west - I think he was in Arizona, Wyoming and a few other places out there. Anyway, a few years ago he got a new gig and is in charge of Assoteague! I probably wouldn't even recognize him if I tripped over him, but just thought it was funny.

Right you are jim. Every year. The local Volunteer Fire Department puts on a huge show with the Crossing of the Wild Horses take place. It's a photographer's wonderland for seascapes, and the Wild birds, and animals.

We have to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, all 17 miles of it, leading up Route 13 to get there, or go North toward Pa.
A lot of unknown Space/NASA, Air Force testing takes place up that way as well. Wallops Island missile test, and launch range on a clear night...is like being down at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Robert A Whit
12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Splunking is cave exploring. Has nothing to do with diving or fishing.

I dunno how I connected it to hand fishing catfish. My daughter and her husband are into cave visiting but they do it at the commercial caves.

We have a few a few miles from the SF Bay Area too. One was fairly easy to enter and follow the path and it is pretty. Not far from that cave is another and going down the spiral staircase is easy but hell coming back up.

I admit that when I went way down into that deep cave, I was not in decent shape. A youhg guy in good shape should do fine.

I am trying to recall how it was found. Seems the local native tribes had something to do with it.

My youngun and her husband have been inside caves all over the country.

I was told that in VA around the border with W VA is a nice cave. I am thinking something like about 100 miles west of Falls Church, VA. I did not drive out that way to go into it though.

jimnyc
12-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Right you are jim. Every year. The local Volunteer Fire Department puts on a huge show with the Crossing of the Wild Horses take place. It's a photographer's wonderland for seascapes, and the Wild birds, and animals.

We have to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, all 17 miles of it, leading up Route 13 to get there, or go North toward Pa.
A lot of unknown Space/NASA, Air Force testing takes place up that way as well. Wallops Island missile test, and launch range on a clear night...is like being down at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Yeap, the bridge I always hated, route 13, the Air Force... It's been awhile for me personally, but I still remember it all vividly! And that's one of the reasons we went to begin with I believe, as Dad is/was a photographer, albeit an amateur.

Gaffer
12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I dunno how I connected it to hand fishing catfish. My daughter and her husband are into cave visiting but they do it at the commercial caves.

We have a few a few miles from the SF Bay Area too. One was fairly easy to enter and follow the path and it is pretty. Not far from that cave is another and going down the spiral staircase is easy but hell coming back up.

I admit that when I went way down into that deep cave, I was not in decent shape. A youhg guy in good shape should do fine.

I am trying to recall how it was found. Seems the local native tribes had something to do with it.

My youngun and her husband have been inside caves all over the country.

I was told that in VA around the border with W VA is a nice cave. I am thinking something like about 100 miles west of Falls Church, VA. I did not drive out that way to go into it though.

If you want to see caves go to Kentucky. Monmouth is one of the biggest and most popular. There are miles of caves around there. The splunkers usually explore the caves no one has been into and are not easily accessible. A guy I use to work with was a splunker and use to talk about his explorations. Mostly in Kentucky, places where he had to crawl on his belly for a hundred yards to get into the main caverns. Splunkers go where no one has gone before.

aboutime
12-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Yeap, the bridge I always hated, route 13, the Air Force... It's been awhile for me personally, but I still remember it all vividly! And that's one of the reasons we went to begin with I believe, as Dad is/was a photographer, albeit an amateur.

jimnyc. You may have learned to hate the bridge long ago. But they have a double span now, both using the same tunnels since they didn't build new one's to match the span's. But there are far, fewer accidents, and the speed limits are (or were) 55 the last time we went North. Now about seven years ago.
For anyone who's never been to the Southside..as we call it. Virginia Beach has become a major tourist TRAP. We eventually think it will become a Southern version of Atlantic City...and just crumble into crime, and casino's for the BROKE who spend their paychecks. Then have nothing left.
Like Obama. The cities SPEND, SPEND, and SPEND. But they have no money. So....guess who pays?