PDA

View Full Version : Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf has passed away

jimnyc
12-27-2012, 07:44 PM
RIP, fine sir, and Hero :salute:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. official says retired Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, who commanded the U.S.-led international coalition that drove Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait in 1991, has died. He was 78.

The official tells The Associated Press that Schwarzkopf died Thursday in Tampa, Fla. The official wasn't authorized to release the information publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

A much-decorated combat soldier in Vietnam, Schwarzkopf was known popularly as "Stormin' Norman" for a notoriously explosive temper.

He lived in retirement in Tampa, where he had served in his last military assignment as commander-in-chief of U.S. Central Command. That is the headquarters responsible for U.S. military and security concerns in nearly 20 countries from the eastern Mediterranean and Africa to Pakistan.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-retired-gen-norman-schwarzkopf-dies-002111413--politics.html

aboutime
12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
I believe he had been suffering from the same Cancer I have survived. Not sure, but I recall hearing about his cancer.

As I said on Robert's thread.

We should be honoring him, and he was a True Hero. A General's General.

RIP General. You served your nation Well.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-27-2012, 08:26 PM
I admired the man greatly. He was a true patriot. May God give comfort to his family and may America express its gratitude to the man for a job well done! I thank and salute him now..-:salute:--Tyr

CSM
12-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I always thought the general was a great leader. A soldier's soldier so to speak. RIP, general.

jimnyc
12-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Quotes from Schwarzkopf:

10) “Do what is right, not what you think the high headquarters wants or what you think will make you look good.”

9) “You learn far more from negative leadership than positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it.”

8) “War is a profane thing.”

7) “The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”

6) “True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that’s what courage is.”

5) “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.”

4) “When placed in command, take charge.”

3) “The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in battle.”

2) “Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar; and still there are things worth fighting for.”

1) “Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinkruse/2012/12/27/norman-schwarzkopf-quotes/