PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the Amish/Mennonites are on to something

tailfins
12-29-2012, 11:37 AM
The way we are seeing our nation, culture and government going down the toilet, maybe the Amish and Mennonites who don't participate are leading better lives. Thoughts? Please don't base any responses off stupid "reality" TV shows. Amish and Mennonites are traditional Christians, except with a commitment to live plain, separate lives.

If you can't stomach giving up modern inventions, there's the Old German Baptist Brethren.

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/Brethren.html

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/media/German-Baptist-Men-2.jpg

http://www.scrollpublishing.com/store/media/German-Baptist-Women.jpg

jimnyc
12-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I've followed the Amish and Mennonite since I was a kid. We've been camping and traveling in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania most of my life. I admire their way of life but don't think I could do so myself. They have a very strong work ethic, very strong family ties and aren't living their lives for material things. I've been lucky enough to have quite a few conversations with them over the years and they are some very friendly people, but will keep to themselves if they can. At least the Mennonite have electricity and cars, the Amish go all in and live without any luxuries at all.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
12-29-2012, 01:38 PM
I've followed the Amish and Mennonite since I was a kid. We've been camping and traveling in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania most of my life. I admire their way of life but don't think I could do so myself. They have a very strong work ethic, very strong family ties and aren't living their lives for material things. I've been lucky enough to have quite a few conversations with them over the years and they are some very friendly people, but will keep to themselves if they can. At least the Mennonite have electricity and cars, the Amish go all in and live without any luxuries at all.

At the rate that obama is destroying our economy and wealth we all going to be living like the Amish before too long.
All except the liberal/dem elites that he and his agenda promote and protect. Try 22 or 26 trillion in debt by the time he leaves in 2016. He is currently working on destroying our currency. Maybe the Amish will be the model on how to survive without all the luxuries Americans are used to. Sad but true. His vision is a greatly impoverished America and he is working like hell to achieve it. --Tyr

aboutime
12-29-2012, 02:44 PM
At the rate that obama is destroying our economy and wealth we all going to be living like the Amish before too long.
All except the liberal/dem elites that he and his agenda promote and protect. Try 22 or 26 trillion in debt by the time he leaves in 2016. He is currently working on destroying our currency. Maybe the Amish will be the model on how to survive without all the luxuries Americans are used to. Sad but true. His vision is a greatly impoverished America and he is working like hell to achieve it. --Tyr

Tyr. The sad thing about our society today, across the board in dependency on Government is. I'd be willing to bet. 99.9 Percent of Americans living today wouldn't last more than a few days if they were forced to live like the Amish, or Mennonites.

There is too much Instant Gratification, electricity, running water, flushable toilets....or even toilets and showers with HOT water, tv, instant dinners, microwaves, and refrigerated food. Not to mention air conditioning, heat, humidifiers and automobile transportation.

Take one...namely Electricity away from Americans tomorrow, and we see the instant DOWNFALL of a complete society in seconds.

Even Obama and members of Congress would become More Useless without it.

01-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Seems to me that there are better ways to do it than the Amish/Mennonites do. Eliminating technology won't solve the problems of the world. Writing the Word of God on our hearts would though.

God has given us technology to improve our lives. Same reason He gives us commandments. Perhaps it's time we as individuals start rededicating ourselves to improving ourselves morally and see what other blessings God will pour our upon us.