PDA

View Full Version : Got fraud?

glockmail
12-31-2012, 03:05 PM
1. This morning when I opened my email I found two from Walmart thanking me for buying $100 gift cards. The "cards" were to be delivered with hours via email. Apparently they are a printout sheet with a bar code scanned at the register. Both were the same time stamp just before 10pm and both charged to the business card that I've used exclusively for about two years while keeping my alternate business card in the file.

The first thing I did was text my wife to ask her if she had made the charges, and she replied in the negative. So I called up the number on the back of my card and notified them. They told me to destroy the card and they'll fed-ex a new one. I will not be charged with for the cars.

I opened up my file for my alternate card and I'm back in business.

2. I use Paypal for Ebay and small stuff, have it tied to that same business card to pay out if my balance isn't enough to cover a purchase. I opened up my mail from last week and there was a bill for $8 from BillMeLater, which is basically a paperless credit card and an affiliate of Paypal. They sent me a paper bill because they had an incorrect email address for me, off by one letter. That was the first red flag. They sent the bill to my residential address, not my business address, a second red flag.

I called PayPal up and asked them what the $8 charge was for and it was legit. So I called up BillMeLater, paid the bill over the phone then told them to cancel my account.

Marcus Aurelius
12-31-2012, 03:09 PM
be careful with PayPal. Someone managed to get my account information from there (not sure how as I have a random password generator I use and change it monthly). I found out when I saw 3 bogus charges for other PayPal accounts on my monthly statement. I had to cancel my card, go through a review to get the charges wiped, etc.

glockmail
12-31-2012, 03:11 PM
I probably should. My balance is under $400 and I don't even track it. It sound silly but I sort of consider it play money, since its from selling old crap on ebay.