PDA

View Full Version : It's a F#^!-ing parking space, for God sakes!

Marcus Aurelius
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/walmart-georgia-parking-space-road-rage/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058%20?test=latestnews

What started as a kind gesture for a pregnant friend ended with a road-rage altercation in a Walmart parking lot.

A Georgia teenager wanted to save a parking space for a pregnant friend, so she wouldn't need to walk too far to the store. But before her friend arrived, a woman driving an SUV (http://autos.aol.com/car-finder/style-suv/) arrived and wanted the spot.

A dispute ensued, and it ended when the woman rammed the teenager out of the spot with her car, according to police.

"She told her to move and then she pulled into the parking spot and hit her with the tire (http://autos.aol.com/info/tires/) of the vehicle," Bartow County Sheriff's Office investigator Jonathan White told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-law/cops-woman-rams-suv-into-teen-over-walmart-parking/nTjpg/). "They did see scuff marks on the victim's knee, which was consistent with the height of the tire during that incident."

Deputies arrested Angela Cornett, a member of the Bartow County school board. Cornett said the teen purposely leaned into the vehicle as she parked, but police say a Walmart parking lot security video corroborates the victim's version of events. The victim was not seriously injured.

Although the teen standing in the space probably shouldn't have been trying to save it, it was a nice gesture to her friend.

Whether she should or should not have been doing it, however, doesn't excuse the lady for accelerating into the spot and essentially trying to run the girl down.

There had to be more spaces in that lot. Either one of them could have made use of them. Still, the driver should not be excused for her actions.

aboutime
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/walmart-georgia-parking-space-road-rage/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000058%20?test=latestnews

Although the teen standing in the space probably shouldn't have been trying to save it, it was a nice gesture to her friend.

Whether she should or should not have been doing it, however, doesn't excuse the lady for accelerating into the spot and essentially trying to run the girl down.

There had to be more spaces in that lot. Either one of them could have made use of them. Still, the driver should not be excused for her actions.

ROAD RAGE! I am so thankful I no longer drive. Our streets, highways, side streets, and even parking lots have become places where one wonders...."How do they get from point A, to point B, without killing someone, or themselves?"

People are so selfish, in a hurry, irresponsible. I often wonder HOW MANY DRIVERS...actually have LEGAL licenses.

There are NO EXCUSES for bad behavior. But...when people believe THEY ARE UNTOUCHABLE, and the LAWS DO NOT APPLY FOR THEM.
Insurance companies MAKE BILLIONS more. And some...even give a FIVE DOLLAR reward each year..for no Accidents????

MtnBiker
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
I never understood why people so desperately want parking spaces near the entrance to place like Walmart, then spend an hour or more walking around the store. Like 30 more steps are going to kill them.

Kathianne
01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I never understood why people so desperately want parking spaces near the entrance to place like Walmart, then spend an hour or more walking around the store. Like 30 more steps are going to kill them.

I always park in the back of parking lots, furthest away from door. Can use the exercise and much less likely for someone to hit my car. ;)

01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I always park in the back of parking lots, furthest away from door. Can use the exercise and much less likely for someone to hit my car.

Im just happy to get a parking spot most days. And yes I can use the exercise too.

tailfins
01-02-2013, 05:08 PM

I didn't know there was a law against pedestrians in parking spaces. There is however a law against assault with a deadly weapon (a vehicle). Last time I checked that was a felony. It's pretty clear cut for me. My wife does that for me on a regular basis. I hope the perpetrator gets five years and a felony record, plus a huge lawsuit. Perhaps it's better to be armed when saving a parking spot in that manner. If someone assaults you with a vehicle, pretty well anything you do is self defense.

cadet
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
I always park in the back of parking lots, furthest away from door. Can use the exercise and much less likely for someone to hit my car. ;)

Same here, even though my car's... kinda beat up. I don't see a point in parking in the front. You're walking into a store to WALK AROUND. What's a few extra steps?
I think some handicaps spots should be put in the back, for the "heart problems cause I'm fat" people.

Kathianne
01-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Same here, even though my car's... kinda beat up. I don't see a point in parking in the front. You're walking into a store to WALK AROUND. What's a few extra steps?
I think some handicaps spots should be put in the back, for the "heart problems cause I'm fat" people.

I don't begrudge those with 'handicap signs.' Some of them are 'fat' because of their medical conditions, not vice versa. Arthritis, back injuries, diabetes, none of these can be 'seen' but still can take a terrible toll on a person.

glockmail
01-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Handicap parking is the second most abused motor vehicle law on the books, behind "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS". I used to drive around with my brother-in-law who was severally handicapped and it was common for him to have to park his converted van with a side ramp far away in two spots. The signed spaces were all taken up by fatties and folks who borrowed the placard or car.

That woman should have her licensed suspended for 20 years. What she did was worse then a DUI because she did it intentionally. She should also be prosecuted for attempted murder.

My wife can't stand it when I park in a lot because I'm so picky. I never park near the front, or too far away either as I've has people vandalize my car out of jealousy, apparently, even though it was parked perfectly within the lines or close up against a curb. Never park next to or behind a "pull through" because they'll scrape the side of your car with a cart pushing through to the back of their car, or put their bags on your hood as they load their trunk. Never park nose down because the guy next to you will throw his door open into you car. Park next to a curb above you for the same reason.

I also never shop between Thanksgiving and Christmas unless its before 11 am during the week. :nono:

Kathianne
01-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Totally OT, but why did you find and post personal information at another site? You don't see the harm in that? Sort of like the newspaper that did that to gun owners.

Robert A Whit
01-02-2013, 08:05 PM

I tend to park far enough away from the entrance that I get a bit of decent exercise. Add that to the steps inside the store and it is my intention to use it like one might use a treadmill.

jimnyc
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Whenever I go anywhere with a lot of parking, I pull in and grab the first spot, out as far as I can go. There are always some idiots going up and down the aisles still by the time I get to the front door. I don't do it to be healthy or anything like that, I just feel like I'm joining the stupidity if I park near them. No offense to any of you here if you are a 'good spot searcher'.

Try parking in some places in NYC! I've driven around areas for like a half an hour before, just waiting for a spot to open or to find a magical parking spot. Most of the time I just get into the City and go directly to a parking garage and call it a loss. I've heard stories of people driving for a few hours in circles waiting for premium spots. Now, if you've been circling for a minimum of 2 hours, and someone steals your spot, or tries to block it, THEN it's ok to run them down! :beer:

Robert A Whit
01-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Whenever I go anywhere with a lot of parking, I pull in and grab the first spot, out as far as I can go. There are always some idiots going up and down the aisles still by the time I get to the front door. I don't do it to be healthy or anything like that, I just feel like I'm joining the stupidity if I park near them. No offense to any of you here if you are a 'good spot searcher'.

Try parking in some places in NYC! I've driven around areas for like a half an hour before, just waiting for a spot to open or to find a magical parking spot. Most of the time I just get into the City and go directly to a parking garage and call it a loss. I've heard stories of people driving for a few hours in circles waiting for premium spots. Now, if you've been circling for a minimum of 2 hours, and someone steals your spot, or tries to block it, THEN it's ok to run them down! :beer:

Two cities with super high parking prices are NYC and Washington, DC.

It is as if they don't want visitors to stop.

Now I am sad to inform you all that San Francisco has joined the high priced crowd. They hae had fairly high daily rates for years but you could have Sunday for free.

Not now. Last time I was in DC, at least you can park for free other than at the garages. I found that the Reagan Building had fair rates if you must be very close to the museums. I also decided that I could walk and so on the side of DC of the Atlantic, I parked there free. When I grew up, school was further than that from my house. Walking that far did not hurt me.

I did not stop in downtown Manhattan finding that parking places were so rare and so costly.

tailfins
01-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Two cities with super high parking prices are NYC and Washington, DC.

It is as if they don't want visitors to stop.

Now I am sad to inform you all that San Francisco has joined the high priced crowd. They hae had fairly high daily rates for years but you could have Sunday for free.

Not now. Last time I was in DC, at least you can park for free other than at the garages. I found that the Reagan Building had fair rates if you must be very close to the museums. I also decided that I could walk and so on the side of DC of the Atlantic, I parked there free. When I grew up, school was further than that from my house. Walking that far did not hurt me.

I did not stop in downtown Manhattan finding that parking places were so rare and so costly.

On the weekend I found free parking in Staten Island about 5 blocks from the ferry terminal.

tailfins
01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't begrudge those with 'handicap signs.' Some of them are 'fat' because of their medical conditions, not vice versa. Arthritis, back injuries, diabetes, none of these can be 'seen' but still can take a terrible toll on a person.

It seems that getting a handicapped placard is guaranteed if someone get SSDI disability. If the public is going to pay someone's way, they may as well roll out the red carpet for the recipient while they are about it.

Robert A Whit
01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
On the weekend I found free parking in Staten Island about 5 blocks from the ferry terminal.

Is it in Staten Island or on Staten Island?

I was at the ferry terminal one time and that was in February of 1964. I had used the subway system for the first time in October of 1962 and they were filthy. In 1964, they appeared very clean and well kept. I hear that they are back to filthy?

My then living brother was an employee of Wall St and he toured me around Manhattan. We did manage to take the ferry but simply came back to Manhattan. He also took me to see the then site of the 64 world fair and my god it was bone numbing cold. And I had just got to NY City from Germany. It must have been the wind and the water making me colder.

My brother got ill at Staten Island and died soon after at a teaching hospital his pals took him to. That was in the mid 1980s.

gabosaurus
01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
When I was at Cal, they had designated parking places for those with disabilities. Enforcing such was low on the list of priorities, so they enlisted volunteers to work a few hours per week. The volunteers did not issue tickets. They merely noted the make, model and license plate of violated and entered them into a data base, along with where it was parked.
Campus security did do occasional parking sweeps. A vehicle parked illegally was ticketed. If it had been previously entered in the data base, it was booted or towed.

I have always wondered who would be stupid enough to seek parking in Manhattan, since the subway system covers everywhere.
When I went to NYC for vacation, we stayed in Secaucus and took the PATH train into Manhattan. We paid $110 per night for lodging, $12 for parking at the PATH station and perhaps $15 for the train and subway.

Marcus Aurelius
01-02-2013, 10:36 PM

I purposely park farther away to get the exercise.

Gaffer
01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I just park near the cart return.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Well , freak that. I do too. For it exposes only one side of my car for the ffing door banging by the fat fools that simply do not know how to park. I been doing that for at least twenty some odd years now.--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
I tend to park far enough away from the entrance that I get a bit of decent exercise. Add that to the steps inside the store and it is my intention to use it like one might use a treadmill.

Getting needed exercise is the reasoning I sometimes use when the wife is sleepy.
O' not for me mind you. I tell her she looks to have gained about ten pounds in the last two weeks and we need to do the monkey dance to help remove some of that fat!! It works or at least she pretends that it does.. -;)
Pretend or not it makes me one happy camper!! --:beer:--Tyr

darin
01-03-2013, 06:15 AM
That's an assualt SUV. We should ban them.

taft2012
01-03-2013, 08:33 AM

I do precisely the same thing for precisely the same reasons.

OTOH, I've had wimmins in my life who bitched like mongrels whenever I did that. You're a rarity Kathy, most women don't want to walk, or even stand. You should see how they dive for empty seats in the subway....

Parking near the door is viewed as some sort of rare prize.

tailfins
01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
The perp resigned from the school board: Serves her right!

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=270817

aboutime
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
The perp resigned from the school board: Serves her right!

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=270817

Road rage doesn't necessarily stop at the road's edge. All of us have seen one form, or another. Or, we've acted on it in some way.

Our roads are dangerous enough with LOUSY, UNTRAINED drivers. And the odds of becoming a victim of road rage are high.

Just ask YOURSELF...next time somebody behind, ahead, or alongside of you does something Stupid.

HOW HARD was it NOT to shoot them a reminder of THEIR AGE, or IQ???

cadet
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM

Speaking of which, ever seen those morons that can't put their carts away? Like it's so freakin difficult. I've found that sometimes I can't park cause the spots taken by a wayward cart.

I spent a good 10 minutes gathering up all the carts in a walmart parking spot once. One guy just left his, while I was walking past, sat right in his car. I said "What, so everyone else should cater to your cart?" He told me that workers should be more respectful while on the job. I yelled right back at him and said "No, I don't work here, i'm just sick to death of idiots like you. You think i want a scratch in my truck???"
He just "uh"ed and "um"ed until he left.

One other thing, I've also walked right up and grabbed a cart from an old lady, not a little old one who looks 90, but a fit healthy one that looked like she was in her mid 50's.
She was already in her car. So i grabbed it, walked right behind her so she couldn't get out, and stared at her till i got to the cart return, which was ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF HER VAN!!!!!

Kathianne
01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Speaking of which, ever seen those morons that can't put their carts away? Like it's so freakin difficult. I've found that sometimes I can't park cause the spots taken by a wayward cart.

I spent a good 10 minutes gathering up all the carts in a walmart parking spot once. One guy just left his, while I was walking past, sat right in his car. I said "What, so everyone else should cater to your cart?" He told me that workers should be more respectful while on the job. I yelled right back at him and said "No, I don't work here, i'm just sick to death of idiots like you. You think i want a scratch in my truck???"
He just "uh"ed and "um"ed until he left.

One other thing, I've also walked right up and grabbed a cart from an old lady, not a little old one who looks 90, but a fit healthy one that looked like she was in her mid 50's.
She was already in her car. So i grabbed it, walked right behind her so she couldn't get out, and stared at her till i got to the cart return, which was ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF HER VAN!!!!!

I agree about the carts. I don't know if you have Aldi's by you. It's owned by the same company as Trader Joe's, but is very downscale. Bring your own bags or buy their paper ones for 3 cents, plastic for 10 cents. They have a chain/lock on each cart, to get one, have to put in a quarter. When finished shopping, return the cart to the corral, get your quarter back. Only once have I picked up a 'free cart' in the parking lot and got that quarter for rolling it into the store. I think all stores with carts would do well to adopt this.

cadet
01-03-2013, 11:58 PM
I agree about the carts. I don't know if you have Aldi's by you. It's owned by the same company as Trader Joe's, but is very downscale. Bring your own bags or buy their paper ones for 3 cents, plastic for 10 cents. They have a chain/lock on each cart, to get one, have to put in a quarter. When finished shopping, return the cart to the corral, get your quarter back. Only once have I picked up a 'free cart' in the parking lot and got that quarter for rolling it into the store. I think all stores with carts would do well to adopt this.

I know that's a big thing in Europe, but with euro's. I don't know how i'd feel about that, I don't usually keep change on me.

Kathianne
01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
I know that's a big thing in Europe, but with euro's. I don't know how i'd feel about that, I don't usually keep change on me.

One adapts. Carts just lying around parking lot became a sore point for me in 1997. I was working in insurance. The sky had been looking threatening for about 1/2 hour, suddenly turned green and the wind kicked up. Then got quiet for a minute, maybe. Then saw the funnel cloud coming down. Passed on the street our office faced.

We got under our desks, window blew out.

About 300 ft away, a big grocery, Dominicks. A cart from their parking lot smashed down in front of our office. Across the other cross street, another big grocery, Jewel/Osco. Their carts had been carried onto the street in front of our office, one landing on a car. Luckily the driver wasn't hurt, but the car sustained lots of damage. Each of those carts weighs close to 75 lbs. They were missiles in the tornado.

As normal, once the tornado had passed, the sun came out. The phones started to ring. Claims of carts through car roofs, windshields, through business storefronts, etc.