PDA

View Full Version : Ice and Being Stupid

Kathianne
01-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Don't be:

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Chain_reaction_panic_on_thin_ice

Chain reaction panic on thin ice
A chain reaction panic saw nearly a dozen people fall through thin ice into a US lake.

The desperate cries for help began when one man on a sledging excursion in Wrightwood, California, fell through the ice.

Others frantically tried to rescue him, but one-by-one they plunged into the icy water themselves.
Within five minutes from the first crack, nearly a dozen people were fighting for their lives.

It took close to ten minutes, but bystanders helped pull everyone to shore. Fortunately, nobody was seriously injured.

NightTrain
01-03-2013, 12:05 AM
I've fallen though the ice dozens of times, both on foot and on snowmachines.

Falling through in a lake is not a big deal if you keep your head. You already know that the ice supported you until you fell in, so you're going to want to be going back the way you came.

The important part is to get out immediately while you still have added buoyancy from your winter clothing before it saturates.

Allow yourself to bob down into the water, and as you begin to rise again, scissor your legs and launch yourself up onto the ice (like a Seal or a Penguin would) on your stomach. Do NOT stand up.

You want to distribute your weight as much as possible, so just slide yourself forward until the ice is thicker again. And, of course, get to shelter before hypothermia sets in.. it sucks.

Lakes don't bother me, it's the rivers that scare me.

Fall through in the current of a river and you're toast... I have nightmares every year the night before I break the trail to the cabin, 20 miles of treacherous river.

SassyLady
01-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Good advice, NT.

I'm always amazed at how many people are willing to rush into danger to try and save another human being. I'm also amazed at how someone can stand there and continue taping the event .... I am not one to stand around and do nothing and just watch death unfold while I comment on video.

Thank goodness someone through them an inner tube to help keep them floating.

SassyLady
01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I hate it when I misspell a word!!

Thank goodness someone threw them an inner tube to help keep them floating.

NightTrain
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
I hate it when I misspell a word!!

lol

I'm surprised that I didn't catch that... I usually zero in on those mistakes right away.

aboutime
01-03-2013, 10:17 PM
lol

I'm surprised that I didn't catch that... I usually zero in on those mistakes right away.

No big deal. At least the GRAMMAR and SPELLING COPS didn't jump on that like flies on POOP....For a change.

I suspect everyone saw it. And, being the civil, friendly kinds of people most of us are. WE SAID NOTHING.

SassyLady
01-04-2013, 01:20 AM
No big deal. At least the GRAMMAR and SPELLING COPS didn't jump on that like flies on POOP....For a change.

I suspect everyone saw it. And, being the civil, friendly kinds of people most of us are. WE SAID NOTHING.

Age, new meds, celibacy, grief .... I think all are contributing to not paying attention to details ...

Thank you for being gracious!